Thread: When should I tell my Boss that I am pregnant?

Default When should I tell my Boss that I am pregnant?

Hi Ladies.

I am 10 weeks and DH & I are over the moon - due early May 07.

I have just started a new job - did not know I was pregnant when I signed my contract, but by the time I started, I was 5 1/2 weeks. We had been TTC since March so didn't think anything of changing jobs as didn't really expect it to happen now (was hoping though).
    I have made a career change and my new job is very important to me for the long term future. I know my boss has big expectations for me (as do I), but I will be going on maternity leave after about 7 months in the job. I am very lucky as my company policy is 12 weeks paid maternity leave after an employee has served for 6 consecutive months. But...I am worried it will look like I have lied and took the job knowing I was prg already.
    Also, my new job has an intensive 6 wk training program so I only "officially" start in my new role the week after next, when I will be almost 12 weeks!

My gut instinct tells me to speak to my boss that week - ie my first real week on the job, to get things out in the open. But my family is saying wait a few more weeks until I have proven myself a little bit. I am not showing yet, though I worry that I might be soon.

What shold I do? Please help!

I really think that honesty is the best policy here. If you open about your pg now, he will likely believe you when you say that you didn't know when you signed your contract. Lets face it, they're going to find out anyway, you're probably better off looking like a responsible, honest employee from the word go. You can explain that you're still going to give 110%, up until the time of your maternity leave, and prove to them that you are great at what you do! I'm sure it's uncomfortable for you, but it will only become more so as time goes on. Also, you don't want anyone *guessing* and speculating before you have the chance to be upfront with your boss........

HTHs, good luck, let us know how you go.

Thanks Sezjm....so you think I should tell him even before I finish my induction training? Or wait until my first week out....
    I agree that up front honesty is the most important thing, but I also don't want him stewing over it while I am away (my training is interstate for this final week)

I personally dont think you should tell. If you had entered the contract knowing what was happening in your body, thats a different story, but if you didn't know then you have no obligation to tell them.
    I actually quit my last casual job (teaching swimming lessons) at 5w cause I thought it ws the right thing to do. I went on to lose the baby at 11w. There is no safe time, but you really dont need to do anything until you feel its the appropriate time to.
    If your contract stipulates that you have such brilliant maternity leave, then thats your luck. Well donw to you!!

In my career job (I'm an engineer) I told my boss at 12w as he was going overseas for 2 weeks, and I figured it would be public knowledge when he got back. I actually didn't really start to show until 24w!!! But as soon as I told him my job got boring, I lost a lot of responsibility and I basically just hung around until I was 36.5w.
    They now have a policy wherer you have to provide a letter fomr your dr if you want to work within 10w of your due date. I guess to stop pikers like me riding the system.

Anyway - I would wait til 13-14w myself, and make it very clear that while you had been TTC for a while, you genuinely did not know you were pregnant until say 8-10w?

Good luck!!

I have a tendancy to agree with Sez on this. Although it's a personal thing. I have myself always operated on the "honesty is the best policy" saying. I've even been known to tell a boss that I like to be honest and up front and that is what I like in return...lol. When it comes down to it though, go with your gut feeling, you will know what is the right thing and WHEN it's right to tell. In my opinion, if you are the right person and obviously you are if they hired you, then they will be understanding. Good luck with your job

Talking When should I tell my Boss that I am pregnant?

Hey Bellabub!

Guess what! I'm in the same predicament, but without the wonderful maternity leave you'll be getting.

I am on a 10 month contract, as the previous lady is currently on maternity leave.

I have been here for about 8 weeks, and have just found out I'm pregnant! Yes, we just started trying, but hey, you never know how long these things will take.

I lost my last baby, and didn't find out until the 13 week ultra sound. Not that I want to scare you, but I personally think that once you've had that first ultra sound and your Obs gives you the all clear, full steam ahead, then be honest and tell your boss the truth.

It sounds like a great company and I think that they will support you.

This will be my second child (3rd pregnancy) so unlike you, I don't have the advantage of having nice new tight stomach muscles to hold it all in. I'll have to suck my tummy in for 3 days a week (only work pt) until my ultra sounds are all good. (I already have a gut after eating lunch!!) I'm planning on having any early ultrasound around 8 weeks and then at 13, just for my peace of mind. Then I'll let my boss know because it's the right thing to do.

Besides, there will be about 4 weeks between me going on maternity leave and the other lady coming back, so they need warning to maybe get a temp or something.

I do like this company, and had hoped to stay on working here, but I'm wrapped I have another little bundle on the way, and that's better than any job you can have in my books.

Take care, try not to stress about it (coming from me, that's a laugh) and let me know how you go.

Hi Tashie.

Thanks so much for your reply. I am thinking I will tell my boss as soon as I finish my induction training...I will be 11 1/2 wks then. I had an u/s at 9w 2d and my Obs gavew me the all clear as everything was very strong - heart beat, placenta etc. Plus I have had no morning sickness or bleeding (touch wood). But I think telling my boss now won't do anything so I may as well wait 2 more weeks when I will be working properly in my role.

You are right - the most important thing right now is the miracle growing inside of me and no matter how great a company is, it's only a job after all.

Glad I could help.

Keep in touch and let me know how you go! Try not to worry, and keep on with your training. You are lucky you're not feeling sick. At least you can try and keep focussed and do a really good job until you have to do another really good job of being a MUM!!!!!!

I really like my bosses and so I told them at 5½ weeks. On top of that, there was a little girl at our school with spots and I had to let them know why I was acting like such a freak towards her!

They were both thrilled for me (they're both mums to 2 kids) and started immediately throwing books, advice, funny stories my way and have been very supportive and pleased for me.

We're in a great situation in Sweden with maternity leave. We get 12 months off on 80% salary (payed by the g'ment) and your job is guaranteed for 18 months. Including your 12 months off at the beginning, you get a total of 450 days off for child related care in the 1st 4 years...pretty sweet deal...then again, it's why we pay such huge taxes over here!!!

Adèle, your taxes are about the same as ours, a bit less, and we don't get anything anywhere near as good!

My boss does some obstetrics work so he's really looking after me - I found out at 8w while he was out the country, so told him at about 9-10w when he returned - but that does mean that I really can't get away with anything! Not even a tiny glass of alcohol. He's upset I'm not going to have the baby at the hospital so he can come and see me on his ward round the next day LOL.

I want to move to Sweden!! LOL I dont get any form of paid maternity leave.

Bellabub, I am really in two minds on this.. I think I'd tell the boss so that they are aware. You can say you just found out yesterday if youre worried they wont be impressed that you were already pregnant when you started. But then again, what are they going to do? Its against the law for them to discriminate against you for being pregnant, so they have to allow you to stay in your job and all that. Maybe you could just wait until a bit later.

I would be up front with them as soon as you think is practical. I think your boss would appreciate that you are being honest an keeping them in the loop from the beginning. Not sure what your plans are for afterwards but it might be an idea to have a plan to tell them about i.e. how much maternity leave you are going to take. I told my boss when I was 6wks as I had hideous m/s and it was lucky that I did because I started having complications at 11 wks and had to take maternity leave at 15wks.

Default Update...

Just thought I would update everyone...as I always wonder what happens to the person who posted the thread...

I told my boss yesterday (so I'm now 11 1/2 weeks) and he was wonderful. He has left it to me as to whether I want to move into a slightly less "responsible" role for the time being and then when I am back from Maternity Leave, I can pick up my career where I have left off.

Such a relief! And thank you to everyone who posted replies xx

That's great Bellabub!

It' funny how we stress about things and they tend to turn out a bit differently to what we imagine.

What are you going to do re your role?

I'm 6 and half weeks now, and getting bigger already! Will have to hope I can keep my tummy sucked in for another 6 weeks.

I haven't really started the strong ms yet, but have nausia and very very tired all the time! Thank god I work part time and that there is skeleton staff here at my site, as I only have to remember to suck in my gutt when I see someone around the office, and that's not often.

Take care and keep us informed!