Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 week Ultrasound photos- is this a boy, or an umbilical cord?!

kirst74 Guest

Default Is this a boy, or an umbilical cord?! - UPDATED PHOTO

UPDATED PHOTO - I'm hoping this is bigger and clearer. As many people commented, the previous photo was loading very small and impossible to see.

I think I've finally figured out how to capture ultrasound photos, and here are two from our recent 12 week scan, at which the sonographer said he was 80% sure our baby is a boy. On looking at it though, that is one extremely long penis! Whilst my DH would LOVE to think that he could father a child with a knee-length penis, I am a bit suspicious that it's actually the umbilical cord. However, the sonographer is very experienced and I'm not sure whether he could make a mistake like that.

This is looking down on the baby (bird's eye view), who is 'sitting' upright with legs slightly bent in a kind of squatting position. You can clearly see the baby's head and eyes, and the left hand held above the head. That's one big penis, particularly in relation to the rest of the body! I thought they were more of a 'nub' at this stage.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...ltrasound2.jpg

Any opinions very welcome! I would welcome either a girl or a boy, but am very keen to decorate the nursery in our new house very soon. Best to wait for confirmation at the 20 week scan?!
    Last edited by kirst74; April 17th, 2007 at 05:29 PM.

sorry love but page wont load!!!

kirst74 Guest

Sorry - I am such a computer dunce. Think I've fixed the links now - should work.

They loaded for me in a seperate browser window.

Great little pics. There is something there....I would probably confirm it at 20 week scan though....

Jac

When we had our 12 week scan, we also saw what looked like a very significant appendage!!!

By my 19 week scan though, it had disappeared...well...at least minimised significantly in size...

We don't know what we are having...and certainly can't tell from the most recent ultrasound...

Good luck!

At this stage you are more likely to spot testicles than a penis. I really can't see anything though. Sorry.

Babushka Doll Guest

Hmmm, not sure picture comes up quite small, but if the sonographer was 80% sure then I would say you are having a blue one!

I have a caption from my 20wk scan that I would love to post for an opinion, I think it is a boy, and DH wouldn't let me find out! haha

If you could tell me how you captured the pics from the dvD, that would be great, we can compare!!

Do you have any profile shots?

Babushka Doll Guest

hmmm not sure what you mean. I have a DVD that I can play on my computer and freeze, but im not sure how to get the frozen shot into a pic format to save and put a link on in the forum... im not very computer literate!

The profile shot I was actually asking of Krist from the 12 week scan

But if you have a digital camera you should be able to take pics of your scan from any screen and then put the stills onto the comp. Or you can put movies onto the comp too... Try a site like photobucket.

Tanya

Hmmm...tricky huh!
    The second picture looks exactly the same as Toby's scan when we found out he was a boy.
    But the first one looks more like cord to me.
    I'm a bit dubious about finding out the sex that early anyway, since we were told Toby was a girl at 14 weeks. Back again at 20 weeks and ta-da! He was a boy LOL.
    I think if I were you I'd be hanging out for another scan

The first pic doesn't look like a penis at all, I would say it is the umbilical cord. Jackson and Leo's bits were very clear, and the penis and testes look exactly like a little turtle, a sort of stubby mound with the penis out the middle (ie. the turtle head poking out of the shell)

The second pic could possible resemble more of the shape I am talking about but it really isn't clear enough, and as Fletch said the penis and the clitoris look pretty much alike at this stage - I would be waiting for more clear evidence @ the 20 week scan before decorating the nursery!

If that truly is the phallus/nub... I would say boy. The reason is because if it were a girl it wouldn't be visable at that angle. The nub in girls points in a more horizontal direction.
    That is why I asked for a profile shot... to see which direction the nub is pointing.

Tanya

CatherineL Guest

lol - i only just had my scan too, and we were told by the sonographer and the doctor what they thought the sex is - coincidently they told us the same thing. And mine looks very different to yours... I am happy to compare with you if you have a email addy. =)

Hi kirst74

I had my NT scan today and we were told we are having a boy (70% confident about that). The sonographer says the research indicates that the outtie bit is at a different angle for boys than girls. Apparently our bub has a greater angle and so will be a boy. Reading through other's experience think will hold off for another few weeks before rushing to buy all blue outfits.

S

with both my boys i wasnt told the sex until our 18 week scan. in both lots of scans you could clearly see their testicles. the ultrasound nurse at KEMH even typed "crown jewels dad" on the pick of thomas' bits. DH was VERY proud!!!!

kirst74 Guest

Thanks girls, think I'd better hold off painting the nursery blue, just in case! I have tried to load a larger, clearer picture, but can't get it to work. I don't have a profile shot, this one is looking down from above - which would make the penis about the same size as his head! Weird. Luck to all.

Sorry but i couldn't really see well enough as the picture was so small.
    I'd probably hold off for your next ultrasound, you should then have a much clearer picture to work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast