thread: 3/4d scan to find out sex at 16 weeks? Too early?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne
    7,177

    I would wait. It's a lot of money to waste if it's too early, which it most likely will be. Buns will also be cuter at 18-20 weeks. I had a normal scan at 20 weeks and could see the sex clearly, we're considering a 3 or 4d one later on to confirm that, and just see our chunkier bubba

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Jan 2009
    1,488

    I agree with PZ. I would wait until 18-20 weeks.
    Good luck.

  3. #3

    Mar 2008
    Where dreams are now reality
    2,318

    Our sonographer recommended waiting till AT LEAST 16 weeks because she said its hard to tell before and even at that stage. I didnt want to know though, so it wasnt a problem in our case. Like others have said the 18- 20 weeks scan would be the best. All 5 of our ultrasounds were 4d 'just for fun' and they are great at 20 weeks but absolutely awesome at 30 weeks, if thats an option you have

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Dec 2010
    Brissy
    439

    Thanks ladies,

    I think you are right and will book for 19 weeks just to be safe then sorry cos first baby and want it to be perfect.x

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Jan 2009
    1,488

    I hope it is truly perfect for you. Will you be telling people the sex or saving it as a surprise?

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Apr 2010
    Townsville
    2,832

    Hi curlygirl.

    I got a normal scan at 20 weeks for sex and then paid for the 3D at 28 weeks because she was more formed and looked soo much cuter!! I think they suggest the 3D one later because you can see more features etc on their face.

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Jan 2010
    1,975

    I was desperate to find out the gender of my bub, too. Yes, I also like to open my christmas presents before christmas day...

    You may be interested to know that with my last pg we were told at 12 weeks and 5 days that she was a girl. Confirmed by the sonographer and the doctor. Apparently they look at the internal sex organs and the length and direction of the ureter. The US place I went to does specialise in gynae and obstetric US so the staff are very experienced. I asked the sonographer how sure she was and she said 'as sure as I am that I have two legs'. Anyway, if you are having a 2D US in the next few weeks, you MAY be able to find out the gender.

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Jan 2009
    Carramar, Perth
    240

    I just had an Early Gender Scan at 13w5d. I was SUPER worried that the lady would say "Oh, I'm 80% sure" and then I'd still be wondering. But it was clear as day, no doubting my little boy.

    Pic here - http://i.imgur.com/N6o0z.jpg