Thread: Acupuncture during pregnancy

Default Acupuncture during pregnancy

So this was my first cycle trying acupuncture and I got a BFP!! I am so impressed with it.
    Anyway, I haven't cancelled my next appointment and am going to see the AP again on Saturday. Can't wait to tell him.
    Was wondering if anyone has continued to have Acupuncture throughout their whole pregnancy and if it's very beneficial?? I'm thinking I might just go once a month, is there any point in that?? Or should I just wait to the later stages?
    I will ask the AP about it but I'm sure he'll tell me it is great for pregnancy so wanted to ask your opinions too!

As you would most likely know, there are certainly acupuncture points to avoid having stimulated when you are pregnant. Your acupunctuist would know all about these points too, but it wouldn't hurt you to discuss the points with them so you are fully informed and comfortable with treatment. Apart from that I can't see anything wrong with some well deserved and beneficial treatment!

congrats on the good news!!

Hey SaraJane,

That's fab - congratulations!

I had acupuncture weekly throughout my first trimester (but not before) - basically to help with m/s and reduce risk of m/c. Seemed to work well for me, and definitely helped with the m/s. I have a pg friend who has also continued to have AP once a month through remainder of her PG (but both AP and I felt that I didn't need that). I agree with what jackrose said, they need to know about what to avoid for PG.

best wishes for a H&H PG!
    Belfie

I had accupuncture weekly from conception til 24 weeks and only stopped because I moved interstate and haven't found another therapist. I find accupuncture to be one of the most beneficial natural therapies and it helped sustain my pregnancy throughout the first trimester (mc with first baby due to weak kidneys) and I only had morning sickness for about 2 weeks due to accupuncture.

I can only wish that I didn't have to move away from my therapist as I believe that he would have helped me through the birth as well.

Good luck - I can't recommend accupuncture highly enough. Just be certain to find a really good practitioner.

Ali

You know my story SJ, but my AP did not want to continue after I got pg as he didn't want to disturb any of the balance he had created within my body so I continued with herbs instead til I was about 8 weeks.
    But everyone is different and you may return to see him and he may want to continue. Once again, congratulations on the pg.

Thanks girls!
    When I see him I'll ask what he suggests and if he sees many pregnant women. And ask him about the points to avoid etc.

SJ - i began accupuncture a few months prior to conceiving basically for stress and have continued it during this pg more to help the state of mind then anything else. I was going fortnightly til about 16 weeks and since have been going once a month, which will probably go back to once a fortnight from tomorrow. Your accupuncturist will know which points to avoid and which points to target but best you discuss it with him first. Mine tells me everytime i go in about the one right on top of your skull and how good that is for bubs. My sister actually recommended I use accupuncture after my late loss as she used it after having a m/c a few years ago, she now attributes everything her 18 month old son does to accupuncture, he was quite early in walking, talking etc.
    good luck with it, and your pg, and will keep an eye out on how you go.