Thread: Advice on cmv please!

Default Advice on cmv please!

A friend recently lost a baby after contracting cmv. I wasn't around her much when she got and for some time after (saw her after she lost the baby).

I'd never heard of cmv so didn't know much about it. I'm now 10 weeks pregnant and I'm terrified I may have contracted it from her or through my daughter who often plays with her son.

I found my previous blood tests from when I was pregnant with my daughter and it said I was not immune and had no antibodies present. I know this is not good, particularly as I'm in the early stages of pregnancy. This pregnancy they did not test for cmv for some reason. Pregnancy number 2 I have been really tired and had a sore throat for a week or so, which I know can be attributed to a lot of common pregnancy symptoms, but they are also symptoms of cmv.

There's a chance I guess I may have cotten cmv since the bt with my first pregnancy so wouldn't affect this pregnancy, but my mind is going overdrive on the possibility that this may not end well at all.

I had a scan with my ob a few weeks ago and we saw the heartbeat. I mentioned the cmv and asked if I should get tested and she said that the results aren't always conclusive and if there is cmv it may not reliably tell us when it was contracted. She wasn't keen to get them done for this reason. At this point I didn't know about my previous negative test for cmv so didn't obviously mention it.

I left a message for her on thus to see if it changes things and am waiting for the call back, but wondering if anyone has any advice? I am sick with worry and just don't know what to do.

Sorry for the long post - I'm just really scared right now

CMV is transmitted via poo or wee, so in child care you are not meant to change nappies incase the child carries it. I think it's doubtful your dd would have gotten it from the other child unless she somehow came in contact with wee or poo.
    So, don't stress! It should be all good!

Really?? I was told it is transmitted by any bodily secretion - most commonly saliva, tears and coughing, which is why it is so common in day care centers.

I keep thinking about all the times I've kissed away dd tears, shared food and drink and her giving me kisses and now I'm so worried.

God, if that's not the case and it's only wee and poo, then I should be fine. But, I have an awful feeling it can be transmitted by saliva, tears etc.

Thanks for replying - i really appreciate a response!

Sorry, mate, it is transmitted via saliva, tears, blood, everything.
    I'm pretty sure you're only contagious while the infection is active though - so if you've seen her since you've been pregnant, and she's had an active infection at the time, then yeah, you might be in trouble. But if she's been exposed, and the infection is now latent, you'd be OK. If you haven't seen her since you've been pregnant, then that doesn't matter either; if you got it before you were pregnant, you would now have antibodies and this makes it less of an issue.

You can get tested - just go to your doc and say you think you've been exposed to CMV. It's a blood test, and may give you some more of an idea.

Good luck. I hope it's all clear.

Well that's confusing - cause the advice they give to childcare workers who are pregnant is not to change nappies - if it's that contageous, pregnant woman shouldn't work with children at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Audax View Post
    Sorry, mate, it is transmitted via saliva, tears, blood, everything.
    I'm pretty sure you're only contagious while the infection is active though - so if you've seen her since you've been pregnant, and she's had an active infection at the time, then yeah, you might be in trouble. But if she's been exposed, and the infection is now latent, you'd be OK. If you haven't seen her since you've been pregnant, then that doesn't matter either; if you got it before you were pregnant, you would now have antibodies and this makes it less of an issue.

You can get tested - just go to your doc and say you think you've been exposed to CMV. It's a blood test, and may give you some more of an idea.

Good luck. I hope it's all clear.
    I've seen her before and after I fell pregnant. I'm pretty sure it is still an active infection as she is still getting blood tests every few months to check.

It's not looking very good for me right now. Just wish I knew more about it at the time and I could have steered clear. I'm really scared right now. I just don't know what to do next. I'm trying to get a bt but my doc is against it. I don't want to wait for another few months to find out my baby won't make it but I don't know what else I can do at this point.