Thread: Anti-D

Default Anti-D

Hi All.
    Next week I have to go for a blood test for Anti-D (and other stuff!) cos I have a negative blood group, and am not looking forward to it. I am absolutely petrified of needles! I have booked myself into the Preg. Day Stay Unit to get the injection a couple of days after the test, so I have to go for the test. No getting out of that now. Not that I would anyway for something that freaky. Apparently if I create antibodies, my body can do some serious harm to the baby. No thanks.
    Well, wish me luck. Along with my aptmnt tomorrow with the normal doctor for a lump I found under my arm. Don't know what that is, but I guess if its a problem, I will just have to deal with it. I am getting better at not putting off that kind of thing. That's all, just needed a quick vent I think. Thanks.

Hi Netix.

I'm also Rh -ve, and I was sent an appointment "in case I wanted it" and also a leaflet saying my baby would die if I didn't have this. I instead made sure I had the blood test for abnormal antibodies a few days before the anti-D appointment (rather than 10 minutes before); no abnormal antibodies, one cancelled appointment. You only create the antibodies IF the baby is RH +ve and IF your blood mingle - if you have a bump or someone hits your tummy, get checked out, but otherwise you will probably be fine. Sorry, bit of a rant from me because the hospital didn't like me cancelling for any reason - they are too injection happy here!

I hope you "pass" your blood test so don't need the anti-D and also that the lump you've found is nothing sinister - telling a pregnant woman not to worry isn't going to work, so I'll just wish you all the best.

I am negative but my DH is negative too so I dont ned anti-D. Do ou guys have to ave the test coz your hub is positive? Just curious?

Hugs Netix, hope it all goes ok, I hate needles too! x

My DH is Rh +ve, MiL can't recall her blood group or PiL's blood group, so I don't know if Liebs has a chance of being -ve or not. Still, we'll be finding out in February; I'll be well chuffed if all is still well and I don't need even one injection!

Netty yes I had it because I'm RH neg and DH is RH positive. I could have waited until after the birth but elected to start before. William turned out to be RH positive but if there was going to be a problem, it would not have affected him ... just the next baby if I might have one.

I don't have the needle phobia which is fortunate. Lots of people do though so you are not alone there.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thank you all for your replies. My apt with the doc the other night went well, my fiancee met me there which was extra helpful, and I just went in with the thought of that it is probably nothing, but in case it is something that I will just have to find out how to deal with it and get on with it.
    Turns out the doc thinks it is just some sort of cyst, should go away on its own soon. But if it doesn't, then do come back. So, in the mean time of waiting to see if it goes away, I am not worrying about it.
    I'm not sure if we (as neg blood group) have to have the blood test cos our men are pos. blood groups (my man has no idea which group he is), I think its just cos we are negative. Oh well, just have to go through that apt as well. Not looking forward to it, but must go through it. Hey, not overly looking forward to the birth, but gotta go through that too! Thank you for the hug Netty. Its nice to know there are others out there concerned about someone else (that goes for all of you! )
    Well, I am going to have a bit of a relax now, my friend and I went on a long walk (about 12-15km's!) this morning, and my head is telling me I need some water. Such warm weather!

Hi Netix.
    My SIL had a similar lump that grew and freaked her out so I know where you're coming from. She ended up having it checked and it was all OK - just something that can happen due to pg hormones sometimes. Keep an eye on it and if it changes, get some reassurance from your doc.