Thread: Anti-inflammatories (e.g. Nurofen) linked to miscarriage

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Anti-inflammatories (e.g. Nurofen) linked to miscarriage

I was reading pregnancy & birth magazine this month and it contains details of a study which the Head of General Gyn at RPA is warning women to avoid anti-inflammatories (like Nurofen) from conception to pregnancy, which increases the risk of miscarriage by up to 80%. He suggests paracetamol as an alternative.

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Wow that is interesting!

I never knew that.

Melinda Guest

Yes, I knew that - VERY important! Good reminder Kelly!

Panadol is definitely the way to go.

Yep - I'd been told that too.
    Even Panadiene forte is preferable to whacking down a nurofen if the pain is really bad. Just PF adds to constipation worries - which is the last thing you need during pregnancy

Fi

Nurofen is a Big no no in the IVF world, we are strongly advised against taking it after surgery.
    Bec

I just have a quick nurafen story .....

A few years ago I had a packet of Nurafen meltlets in my hand bag (meltlets are the ones that dissolve in your mouth and you don't need water for)

anyway, they were in the foil capsule things in the cardboard packet, in my zipped handbag on the top of the back of the couch and my dog got into them while we were out one night.

when we got home she was wimpering and wanted to come into bed with us.

DH picked her up and put her in bed and she spewed on him

the spew was all bloody.

we took her straight to vet emergency at the Lort Smith.

they put her straight on a drip and pumped her stomach.....

she had about 4 tablets...... and that was only a few mg less than what would be needed to kill her.

Apparently, the way iboprofen(sp?)/anti- inflammatory type drugs like nurafen work is that dissolve your stomach and gastro intestinal lining so that they are absorbed quickly into the body.

Thankfully my puppy was ok - after a week of hard core stomach ulcer drugs and being on a drip because she couldn't swallow anything because all her throat and stomach were burned...

But since then I've not bought any of those sorts of pain killer type drugs.

It freaked me out COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that's a bit off topic, but my round about point is that so often we take things that are heavily advertised and they work really well so we think they're great (i know I loved my nurafen)..... we just don't always look into how it is that they work and what they are doing in your body that we don't know about in order to get the desired short term result.

I've gone back to my grandmother's remedy of vinegar on a teatowel wrapped around whatever aches.

don't know if it's just mind of matter... but it works!

I've heard that too Laura. But it shouldn't damage your stomach etc if you take it with food. Its the same with Naprogesics for period pain. Must take it with food.

I sooooo missed my nurofen when I was getting my sinus headaches in early spring. Panadol & Panadeine did NOTHING.

Interesting. I didn't take anything pre-conception or during pg and I am more then glad now as I have Neurophen Plus in my bathroom. I'm glad your dog was okay Laura.

Kirsty77 Guest

Yeh I was told this too.I must say that I never buy nurofen or any kind of anti inflammitory in it as I sceptical.I always use panadol.

Geez Laura your poor puppy!

The first thing my doctor said to me was switch to Panadol. I get tension headaches and eye strain quite frequently and the only thing that knocks the pain on the head is Nurofen so he knew I took alot of it. I haven't taken one since. Panadol doesn't work any where near as well but at least Little Em is safe!

I love nurofen and hated it when i was pregnant and couldnt take it.
    I take it for my back pain, and nothing else works. I know its bad when your pregnant, but i'm not and therefore cant imagine i'd stop taking it!!!
    My doc gave me panadine forte when i was pregnant cause i got kindey infections they coldnt get rid of and i was in so so much pain! I didn't like the idea of taking PF but took one the first night when it was the most painful and after that didnt want to take anymore.