Thread: Antibiotics In Early Pregnancy

Default Antibiotics In Early Pregnancy

Hi Girls (and guys!)

Can anyone advise if they have ever taken antibiotics during early pregnancy? i'm only about 6-7 weeks and have a terrible sinus infection

I need something for it! Thanks, Starsha

Hi Starsha, yes, your GP will be able to help you with this. In general the penicillins and erythromycins are very safe. The GP and chemist will advise you. Don't worry, take care of yourself and get well!

~Belinda~ Guest

Hi Starsha, I fell over at about 20 weeks gestation and required antibiotics to clear up my infected knee. The doctor checked on his computer at the time whether the antibiotic would affect the baby, it's some program he had there on his computer that he used all the time with pregnant women.

Don't stress, you'll be fine, just go see your doctor and they will be able to prescribe something for it I'm sure.

Good luck with your pregnancy too! It's so exciting, especially when they start kicking! Mine is into karate on the inside it seems!

Thanks ladies I have the prescription in my handbag, I can't stand being this blocked any longer and will go to the chemist tonight after work. I've had this since the 23rd September, two days after my embryo transfer!

becmc Guest

Antibiotics can cause thrush during pregnancy though,so just be aware of that.

I had antibiotics later in pg - when I was about 26 weeks and there are safe ones to be able to take. Make sure you check with your GP / pharmacist

Starsha - I took antibiotics for a sinus infection at about 16 weeks from memory. I just couldn't stand the pain any longer, it was stopping me from sleeping. I rang and double checked with my ob before I started taking them and he assured me it was perfectly safe. I also checked with the chemist when filling the prescription, again he said it was fine.

So go for it, you'll be so glad you did once the infection clears up.

karablue Guest

Starsha - I had to take them very early in first pregnancy as I had whooping cough. I had to take them half way through this pregnancy as I had a ear and chest infection. Sometimes, you are risking more by not taking them as the infection may be worse then the antibiotics if you know what I mean. Anyway, I hope you are feeling better.