Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else had trouble accepting they were pregnant? When did it kick in?

megaminz Guest

Default Anyone else had trouble accepting they were pregnant? When did it kick in?

Hi All,

I was just wondering how many people took a while to really accept they were pregnant. I found out about 11 days ago now and I feel nothing yet. I am only just over 4 weeks along but apart from being a bit teary at the thought of finally having a baby it doenst feel real, I can't get happy.

I went through a stage where I was terrified it was a chemical pregnancy and it would all disappear, that still is a concern I guess and will be til I am past 6 weeks where that has normally sorted itself out if it was gonna happen.

Maybe its my lack of symptoms? I had heartburn the other night and got excited. But its gone again. Everyone else due in Feb I have spoken to has got at least a couple of symptoms, sore boobs, food aversions, nausea .... I have nothing.

If you had trouble really wrapping your head around being pregnant when did it finally sink in??? We were ttcing for 10 months and the people I have told keep saying "i can't believe you arent excited" it makes me feel bad. And I keep POASing like I expect it all to change one day.

First of all, congratulations! Please don't worry, you have plenty of time to get excited .

With my second DS I didn't get any real symptoms until I was 7 weeks and I still went on the have a very healthy bub.

It is very normal to feel a bit numb to begin with, there is so much to sink in and you kind of expect a huge explosion or something to happen when you first find out LOL! You will start getting more pg symptoms soon and will be more than excited soon enough

megaminz Guest

Thanks Trish, I guess its all just sinking in. I think I had almost let go of being a natural mum, we were even due to go to a fostering meeting the night we found out.

I guess in some sick way I am looking forward to getting morning sickness and feeling it for real!!

its only "really" felt real to me about 2 weeks ago. I think deep down i sorta thought nahh it couldnt happen to me, i wanted it too bad...its all in my head..iykwim.
    being only 4 weeks hun, try not to stress... i felt great until i hit about 6-7 weeks. I never threw up tho thank god! Just take it easy in these early weeks ok. btw CONGRATS!!!

megaminz Guest

thanks Holly. Its good to know even people further along have issues too! Yeah I totally had the its all in my head cause I don't feel pregnant!

Okay, just over a week then and the fun begins...got no choice but to wait do I lol

TBH i dont think it ever really kicks in until you have that baby in your arms.. well it didnt for me. I didnt have any symptoms at all with either of my pregnancies but even so.. when i was getting contractions with DS it was still bizarre to think id being having a baby soon. I feel the same with this pregnancy. Just still dont believe it in a way.. even though my belly's huge! Again, i dont think it will really kick in until i have that baby in my arms.

megaminz Guest

wow how did you manage not to have symptoms you are so lucky. Although ms would let me know I am utd if I could go the whole 9 months without feeling in pain that would be great too.

Best of luck for next month.

Hi megaminz!

I'm exactly the same and I feel like a bit of an ingrate, we'd been trying since January and now we've been given this little blessing and I can't seem to get excited. We haven't really told anyone yet though, and I have put it down to being worried everything's not ok. So I rang the doc on Thursday and begged to go for a dating scan which he'd prev. told me wasn't really necessary because we pretty well know our dates but was happy to arrange it to put me at ease. We go for that on Tuesday and I'm sure that'll make me feel heaps better!!
    So in answer to your actual question, hopefully reality sets in around 8 weeks, like you I don't really have any symptoms either so nothing's really changed until we see that little heartbeat!!
    And as far as people's response making you feel bad, I'm sure your reaction is completely normal and you can't let others get you down; especially cos they wouldn't mean to hurt your feelings!

Good luck with everything!!! I'll keep an eye out to see how you're going!

megaminz Guest

congratulations to you too emmalou, I think a big bit for me like you is worried things arent ok. I guess not getting my hopes up too much. While we were tccing I was always buying things here and there and now I can't even start a pg diary!! I might try the tears on with my dr at 6week check up. See if she will let me having dating scan like your doctor. I think I just need to see that heartbeat..

How exciting for tuesday though. you must let us know how you go with it.

This is my second pregnancy and other than some weight gain and a growing belly I have, for the second time, no other symptoms whatsoever - so it can and does happen. No tiredness, M/S, food aversions or cravings, sore boobs, nothing. Everythings fine though I just don't get the usual pregnancy symptoms and you may not either. It makes it hard to believe all is well and the pregnancy is real. I still forget I am pregnant and am often wondering - "was I supposed to eat/do that" as it doesn't occur to me that I'm carrying a baby. You will feel more excited, I think, when you feel the baby move (a long way away I know) and for now, you should feel happy about having no nasty symptoms (yet!). All sounds normal to me. Big to you.

Whenever I hear that someone is pregnant I get SO excited, but so far that hasn't happened with my own!!! I get pregnant and wait for the excitement but it doesn't happen. I think I get really excited at scans and also when they're born (but again, it just seems normal in a way, not like when someone else has a bub). maybe it's because we are expecting it, but with others, we may not be???

That's soo true webmeg!! When it's not a surprise for you i guess it's not so jump out of your skin exciting! I'd never thought of it that way. Clever Girl!! Good luck with your #3!!

Most real pregnancy symptoms wont hit you for a couple of weeks yet. At your stage all I felt was some tiredness & I had bleeding gums & a stuffy nose (which aren't supposed to happen til later). I've had very few symptoms thoughout this pregnancy (no m/s at all and only had sore BBs for a couple of weeks) yet everything has progressed well. Having had 3 m/c's I hoped the lack of symptoms didn't mean it was about to happen again - but here I am expecting my bubs any day now.

It may not hit you until you get a scan and see bubs is really in there.

Congrats to you and I wish you a happy & healthy pregnancy.

COngratualtions Meg on your pg.

I m/c twins last year in March and fell straight away with Mateauz. It wasnt until I was about 12 weeks that is sort of sunk in that I was pg again...but I didnt really get big this time round (he's my 4th) and it didnt hit me hard until i was being wheeled into theatre to have my c./s that I was having another baby again. Doesnt help that I was very sick with my pg either though.

I think it all hits us at different times due to out circumstances ect. Its good to be a bit cautious anyway babe...its our natural way of getting us ready 'just incase' worse case senario hits IFYKWIM.

i cant wait to hear watch your pg progress. Heres to a Happy and healthy pg

Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's such an exciting,scary, nervous, unsure, surreal time in our lives!!

Just trust your body and believe in your body and that will help you to get through.

I didn't really feel pregnant either when I was only 4weeks pregnant i was sure AF was still going to come!! And terrified of another early m/c aswell.... but soon enough, once I reached 5 1/2 weeks pregnant, the symptoms came and fast!!! and by 6weeks yep i felt pregnant!!!
    But like the other girls have said, symptoms come and go, and are different for us all, some have heaps some have none so just try and trust your body knows best

megaminz Guest

thanks ladies
    I feel a bit better knowing most people have a bit of a delayed response and also delayed if ever symptoms.

Think its sinking in slightly, helps the closer I get to 6 weeks I think when its more and more stable. I have done so many hpts its not funny but shall try to stop now. Used my last one sat morning (will post link of part of the collection) and will endeavour not to buy any more!!!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...z/DSCF1734.jpg

Um YES! you are certainly pregnant missy! So try to enjoy now.... especially the early days before the symptoms hit you!!! (if they do!)
    and NO MORE HPT's!!! you have done enough!!! lol

megaminz Guest

teehee okay
    will try to keep away from chemists and medical aisles and supermarkets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast