Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone give their OB a thank you present?

smelly Guest

Default Anyone give their OB a thank you present?

Hi
    Just wondering about this. I really had a great experience with my OB and would like to give him something as a token of my appreciation. Anyone else done this and if so, what did you give?
    Thanks!
    Smelly

gave FS a bottle of port which we had engraved, OB a pen, Pead a pen and SCN chocolates from the Choclatier
    when we went back to FS 4 years later, he remembered what we had given him and commented on how nice it was
    definataly they appreicated it and were chuffed
    odette

Not my OB, but I gave the midwives a card & chocolates, & one that really helped me, I have her some choccies too.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

Yep I love my OB and bought him a really nice expensive bottle of red, and gave the midwife a box of chocolates and a huge bunch of gladiolas! I also gave my OB receptionist a box of choccies. I also sent thankyou cards to my OB with a photo of him and Cooper!

I think if they are a really great OB/FS/Paed the it does not hurt to show your appreciation, just like any field of work.

My biggest problem will be what to give him this time! He did comment that it was a fancy bottle, so maybe get him another one of the same???

I never gave mine anything, but I was not happy for my delivery to end in a section.

He is a great Ob just didn't cut it for me. But I will go back to him if I decide to opt for a section again, but I would really like a vbac.

I plan on giving my Ob a pressie and his receptionist too. I have known them for over seven years now, and they have done so much much for me, apart from this pg. Yes, we do pay him a large fee, but that's cos you HAVE to IYKWIM? I think a pressie shows that you are truly grateful for their care. Having been a dental nurse for 10 years I know how nice it is when a patient gives a gift, or even just sends a card to show their appreciation. It really makes your day!

So what to give......I was thinking along the same lines as the other girls. Keep the ideas coming though!

I never did I feel bad now, but I was not happy with him as I ended up having a section and that is what I didnt want.

I gave my midwife a hand made thankyou card and abig box of chocolates cause she was fantastic!

Hotmumma, don't feel bad at all! If I wasn't happy with his care at the end of the day, I wouldn't be giving him a present either! I guess it depends on if you think the section was really required, or if he jumped the gun a bit. Either way, no one expects a present, so don't feel bad about it.

heidi Guest

Hi all, from doing research on OB's myself it looks like the best thing you can give an OB is a lovely letter explaining why you were happy with their service. It's nice for them to have up around their office (if you agree to it) so that other mums-to-be can get a good idea of what they can expect from the OB.

On a different note - the OB that delivered me sent my mum a gift on my first birthday!! It was a card that wished me a happy 1st birthday and had a personal note from the OB recalling the birth and how much of a hurry I was in. My mum always talks about it and stuck it in my albulm - she was so chuffed that he had remembered her and had gone to the trouble to send a card! He was a well know and well respected OB on the Gold Coast for many many years and apparently sent them to all his mums and bubs!

I'm sending the midwives a Thankyou card with a pic of Natalie on it - when I eventually get my act together, LOL.

smelly Guest

Well, it looks like most people gave alcohol (or chocolates). As a non-drinker myself, I wouldn't know where to start when it came to giving a bottle of wine. But thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Keep those suggestions coming!

As for whether or not to even give a gift - I agree with sezjm: since the service was excellent and I was really happy with my care I'd like to give a gift because I can. I'm a health professional too, and when patients have given me thank you cards (one even knitted booties for my baby) I really was chuffed. Sometimes you put in a heck of a lot of hard work and rarely get any feedback that you are doing a good job. The odd thank you card can make it all seem worthwhile.

pholmes Guest

Hi,

I gave my ob a very nice bottle of red after each of my last two bubs, I think shes great and even though its her job it is nice to know you're appreciated. I also gave the midwife who looked after me when I had Lachlan the same as she was fantastic.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Nope, I did all the work I deserved the choccies and wine :P

He missed both births anyway.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Just chocolates and card for ob and his midwife and also my FS. I thought for a long time about something for him in particular but in the end I decided he probably had everything he needed and a nice heartfelt note from me would probably be more appreciated. Later I sent them both photos for their respective walls.

I'm a big believer in thank you notes. I think they go a long way.

Fraser Guest

I sent a card to my OB and his receptionist and a card to the midwives at the hospital. I found it really hard to let go - I kind of idol worshipped them for a while after Charlie was born

I gave friends/rels, obgyn, hospital, ivf clinic, gyn who removed my endo thankyou letters which had some photos printed on it. The gyn who did my surgery sent a lovely thank you back, saying how lovely it is that we fell preggas & he loves to hear the success stories.

No pressies though, I mean fees are high as it is, hehe.

I have gotten a big box of nice choc for midwives. We went through a public hospital so I didnt have my own ob through my pregnancy, but I also wrote a letter of appreciation for everyone inc the midwives, the two obs i had for delivery, the paed and the physio! and printed a photo of me and bub so they might recognise who its from!
    I am going to go take it in to them some time soon when I get the chance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast