Thread: Average head size... help

Fraser Guest

Default Average head size... help

Hi guys,

My husband has quite a large head, and when my MIL found out we were pregnant she had a bit of a giggle and patted me in a consoling way on the shoulder, she later burst out laughing whilst leaving the room. I found out that is was because DH's head was very large at birth and she had some difficulty (cruel cruel woman).

So now I'm a little paranoid - at our 20 week scan (which actually happened at 21 weeks) the width of Bubs' head was 5.4cm

Is this massive? can anyone else remember their babies head width measurements at 20 weeks so that I can make a comparison?

I know there is nothing I can do and if this baby has a bowling ball on its shoulders I'll just have to deal with it - but it would be nice to know in advance so I could take extra yoga lessons or something.......

Cheers, Em

MMMM I can't say I remember if I was even told what my boys heads messured at the 20 week scan but I know at birth they both had big heads for there body. Evan was 36cm and only 7pound 8 & Glenn was 37cm and 8 pound 3. Even the midwife commented on Glenn having a big 9 pounders head.
    But with both of my births I didn't tear. A little grazing with Evan but other then that it was all good.
    Have you been along to prenatal classes yet? One of the things that was suggested to us when I went along with my first pg was to do perineal(sp??) massage from about 34 weeks. This is were you massage & stretch the the skin & mucsel between your vagina & rectum. Lovelly I know but I think it had some effect with mine.

Just because your MIL had trouble doesn't mean you will. In fact i would make it my goal to have the least problem just to rub it in her face. LOL but thats just me hehehe.

Many mother find that warmth, like a warm face washer against the area during labour can help. Also the longer the labour the better. If you have a really fast labour it can do alot more damage because your body doesn't get a chance to prepare for it.

Anyways, discuss the options with your Ob/midwife they will be able to offer you suggestions to help prepare.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Why don't you get the Pink Kit? It's great and will help you learn about your body and how amazing it is to open the way it does for childbirth. I'm sure you will be fine - being anxious about it will only slow or stall the birth process as adrenaline counteracts the labour hormone oxytocin as a flight or fight response.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Fraser Guest

Kelly, what's a pink kit?

the massaging sounds helpful, but I don't know how I'm going to do that!

this pink kit sounds intriguing....

Fee Guest

Default Re: Average head size... help

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser
    So now I'm a little paranoid - at our 20 week scan (which actually happened at 21 weeks) the width of Bubs' head was 5.4cm

Is this massive? can anyone else remember their babies head width measurements at 20 weeks so that I can make a comparison?
    I was just watching our morphology scan video last night. I can remember the head was around 5 cm but can't recall the exact measurement.

It's all fine!

Just letting you know that Aidyns head was 37.5cm when he was born (which is in one of the top percentiles for circumference) and it took me only 20 mins of pushing, and I didnt tear, or need any intervention to get him out... all thanks to the guidance of my midwife when pushing. So its quite possible to birth a large head without complications!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I'm actually going to be selling the Pink Kit shortly, awaiting my order arriving within a week Here's a sneak peak:

The Benefits of The Pink Kit Package for birthing women:

* You’ll feel more confident with your birthing body once you’ve gone through The Pink Kit child birth video.
    * You’ll be more certain that you, giving birth, and your birth partner will share a common language so vital in child birth once you’ve gone through The Companion Guide. You’ll also learn the very important Kate’s Cat.
    * You’ll absolutely know how to cope with the pain of child birth, how not to go into labour tired and when to use your Pink Kit skills throughout the birth of your baby when you have gone through Managing Skills.
    * And much much more!

The Pink Kit Package … a complete child birth preparation class for home use, so you can teach yourself the essential and necessary child birth skills.

The Pink Kit Package has been used by thousands of Pink Kit families in absolutely ALL birth situations including elective cesarean deliveries.
    The Pink Kit Method for birthing better™ is your child birth tool kit for a positive birth experience.

The Pink Kit resource and interactive book includes information on:

Directed Breathing
    Bony Pelvis
    The 3D pelvis
    Landmarks
    Map your pelvis
    Body positions
    Your map and positions that keep you open
    Pros and cons of different positions
    Your baby and your positions
    Bony Pelvis - movement
    Pubic arch spread
    Hip Lift
    Sit-bone spread
    know your sacrum
    rocking the sacrum
    sacral manoeuvre
    Moving the tailbone
    Directed birthing into pelvis
    The Soft Pelvis
    Advanced Kegels
    Pelvic Clock
    Breathing into the perineum
    Assisting the cervix to dilate
    About Pain, Tension, Relaxation
    Soft Tissue Tension
    Internal inner relaxation
    Passive and active relaxation
    Stuck baby
    Conscious, unconscious, structural and stretching tension
    Massage
    Body Care
    Labour
    How to use The Pink Kit information in labour
    negative voice
    Remember!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.