Thread: Baby Showers

Default Baby Showers

I was wondering what everyone else thought on having baby showers?

I was wanting to have one but not sure if its the right thing to do. I asked DH and he laughed at me for bringing up the idea. Maybe because he sees it as a way to get presents (which i love), but i just thought it might be a nice idea. Have a bit of a catch up with freinds before bub comes?

When do you usually hold them any how??

I think they are great ideas, usually held later in pregnancy as there is a game you can play where you guess the girth of mummy 2 b's belly

I personally though only believe in them for 1st time babies. I dont think ppl should have them for subsequent babies unless of course there is a big gap in ages between last and current pregnancy and you got rid of everything LOL.

But yeah go for it.

Love

I think it's great. All the ladies get to catch up and you get the chance to see all your friends at once as the last thing you feel like doing when you are nearly 40 weeks pregnant is to go out and visit everyone! I had a shower at one of the big hotels in the city. We had afternoon tea there and then the guys came in and we all went out for dinner. It was fab. I went to one a few weeks ago for a GF and we had afternoon tea at her house. It was great, got to catch up with some old friends I hadn't seen for ages due to us all having kids and being busy! I say go for it.

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Yes, I think they are a great idea. It's a great way to catch up with the females in your family and your GF's for a chat and a laugh. There is some great games to play and as for presents you can request that people keep them to a limit of say $5. Just boot your DH out of the house for the afternoon and have a great time......

Why not have one!! Especially if it is your first, it will be a nice memory for you, and you will find that ppl are happy to go to things like that (well i am) and love giving. Baby showers are so special, and a great time to get together with family and friends for a good laugh, and some good piccies if you are into scrapbooking. Dont miss out on having one, you will regret it!!!

I agree with everyone!! And there are so many options these days. A friend of mine had a couples shower which was the girls inside and the guys outside for a BBQ. It worked wonderfully as it involved the dad to be as well. I've heard of people having it in parks or having it more like a 'tea party' LOL.

Mine was a full on traditional baby shower LOL. Lots of games (string game, peg game, memory game, scrambled letters game... the list goes on). I got some gorgeous gifts - ranging in price. And EllyBoo72 is right in mentioning scrapbooking - I've got some gorgeous shots to scrapbook when I get around to it!

Its a great joyful way to have that 'last' catch up with friends before you have bubs. My mum helped with mine and I hardly had to do a thing. From memory I was about 33 weeks! It really is great because you're celebrating this gorgeous little baby and I think it revs up the anticipation even more LOL. And you get a chance to show off your nursery etc if you hold it at your place!!

Go for it!! I'm sure you'll have a blast and won't regret it!!

Go ahead and have one, see if you can get a close friend or even your mm or sister(if you have one) to throw it for you

I went to one on Sunday just gone and it was her 3rd baby. Her 2nd child is 7 now and she is starting from scratch again. She got heaps of cool stuff and we all had a great afternoon catching up and yes, playing those silly games.

I think having a baby shower is a great thing to do! I had mine at about 34 weeks and it was at my house but my friends organised it. We just had all my girlfriends over (and some babies) plus a couple of guys (who spent most of the time watching TV in another room).

We started around 2 pm and sat around eating, drinking & chatting but we also played some games (some guessing games for movies with a baby theme and a string game where everyone had to cut a length of string as big as they thought my belly was - some very funny outcomes). We finally finished up around 7 pm... It was a great day and fantastic to catch up with my friends! We also got given some presents which was nice but not necessary or expected.

And for friends who have had their second babies recently rather than having a 'baby shower' we've had a 'end of pregnancy party' or 'baby welcome party'. Basically the same thing anyway without the games and bigger pressies...

Good luck! You'll have a great time if you do have a baby shower!

Yeh i think its a really nice idea. We're having ours this weekend.. but its more like a get together celebrating our baby and last few weeks before our family becomes 3. We've said its up to the guest if they want to give gifts.. of course we'll welcome the gifts, but will just be nice to have everyone together.

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww you've gotta have a baby shower!! Esp. for your first. Why not celebrate the impending birth of your gorgeous baby?? I don't think it's self indulgent or silly at all!
    I had a delightful time at my baby shower. It's lovely to have all your female friends and family dote on you... and it's kind of a "right of passage" if you will.
    We played a few games but didn't over-do it because people really just wanna sit and chat (and maybe have some champers).
    I was soooooo spoilt with gifts but just about everything came in handy once Gab was born. With each invitation, I gave a few "gift ideas" because people like to know what you really need and they don't want to buy you things that you already have multiples of. What I did was write down everything I still needed then split it in to two lists: things I only need one of and things you can't have too many of. I then gave everyone a list that had items that varied from price range (things relatively cheap to the more expensive gifts that they may want to contribute to). Apparently everyone found it really handy and I know it helped me out! We were on one wage and it was proving to be difficult getting everything together in time for Gabby's birth. My friends were really happy to help out and know they contributed in a meaningful way.

Really, your baby shower can be anything you want it to be but don't feel bad or silly for having one!!

I think its a nice idea to have one. I dont know if I'll have one. Most of my friends are idiots, but maybe I could just invite the nice friends and not tell the moronic ones. Actually for me it would be mostly family probably, lol.
    Anyway, it would definately be nice just to catch up with your friends before baby arrives and let them shower you with love and presents and give you lots of attention. It will probably be a bit tricky to have everyone over once baby is born too.
    Ooo now I am excited about having a baby shower even though I wont be doing it for a few months yet!! hehe