Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIG baby!

Thanks girls. I have been reading up on birth and looking at some birth videos, which have been inspiring. I'm not scared of giving birth, I thinkit's more being bullied into interventions or a c/s. Ando not having much support.
    I owuld love to have a doula or midwife attend my birth, but I don't have the funds unfortunately. I am trying to show my dh things and inform him, but he's not all that interested. He will most likely be my only support person. Mum would be more of a hinderance and I don't want her there and I don't really have a friend who is all that close that I'd ask them to attend my birth...maybe one, though I don't know!!

i would ignore it too. a friend of mine was told she was having a big baby like around 10 lbs so they induced her early and the baby ended up being quite small around 6ish lbs. they are only guessing and they do get it wrong.

Kellie, if you're keen on a doula but can't afford it, maybe see if there is a student doula who would be interested. I think they do their "training" births for free.

kellieem,

you could try to get a trainee doula/midwife for support... they wouldn't cost you anything. I am paying for a midwife (homebirth) and I have recently met with a trainee doula who will be helping as well (no cost). She needs to attend one more homebirth as part of her training and lucky me is it!

:goodluck2:

Where could I find out more about student doulas/midwives in Sydney?

Does anyone know how to get into contact with a student/trainee doula/midwife??

Kellie, start by posting in the "want a trainee doula" thread here. If you have no luck there, post your question in the "using doulas and midwives" forum and you are bound to find someone to help. GL.

Good luck with trying to find a trainee doula. And just becuase you are measuring large does not mean your bub will be i have been up and down all over the place with fundal height. They should go off your first ultrasound.

Thanks again ladies
    sweetpea, I know that measurements may not be accurate, in fact its most likely not, but it's hard not to listen to 'professionals', iykwim! I consistently measured larger with DD, but only a week or 2, which didnt concern me. This time, it's 5 wks and measured by 2 dr's, one an ob. And I just feel sooo much bigger in myself this time. Though I am feeling positive about birthing my baby, I'm just worried about interventions. But I am waayy ahead of myself, I still have 10wks to go! And yep, I know they should be taking my EDD off my first u/s, that's why I'm not too worried about my due date, though as someone said here that it's probably better if the change it so that it's later then I have more of a chance of going into labour myself.

paradise lost Guest

The irony of this thread hit me so hard i had to post!

Your ob measured your bump, looked at your dates, saw you were a little ahead by that (fairly useless) measure, then CHANGED YOUR DATES and declared you huge!? WTF!?

So you go from being a little big for dates (my midwife actually DID measure between 20 and 30 weeks but she told me she wasn't looking for a number (i.e. 22 weeks = 22cm) but for a DIFFERENCE. Like if i was 20cm last week and now i'm 22cm then good, bubs and i are continuing to grow. AND in addition she gave 3cm/week leeway because of position, water retention and fat gain/loss. So i'd have had to be 6cm too big/small before she even paid attention. She told me a full term PG in a woman who was obese at conception could be as much as 65cm and still yeild a completely normal sized baby. - the "extra" 25cm is the fat and connective tissue between the skin and the uterus.) to being really big for dates by her simply changing the dates. Well hun i reckon you're 34weeks today, so you're small for dates to me!

The magic words for me was when you said you tried to tell her you'd had an earlier scan but she WASN'T LISTENING. If she can't listen to you, you should afford her the same courtesy! Ignore her! And if you feel intimidated then agree to every intervention suggested and then DON'T SHOW UP for the appointment - email, or leave a voicemail, so you don't have to stand up to her face to face and tell her you're not coming in. Simple. The way some caregivers talk to you it's hard to remember sometimes that you are a GROWN WOMAN and NO ONE can make you do anything you don't want.

Best of luck and lots of loves

Bx

Aww thanks bec, sometimes it takes others to put things into perspective.
    I had wondered about being overweight and how that affects the measurements. I have put on a fair bit of weight since having DD so I wondered if it would change things?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12