Thread: Breast Pumps

Smile Breast Pumps

Hi all

I'm just wondering, is a breast pump a fairly common item to have with a young baby? I would like to try breast feeding but I would also like to be able to have bottles for if/when I'm away for a few hours at sports etc.

What sort of breast pumps are the best? Any particular brand? And is an electric/automatic pump better than a hand pump??

Thanks for your help!!!

Sherie

Sal Guest

Hi Sherie, good idea to do research now. I had NO idea about them as I just assumed I'd be BF. Well bubs rejected the boob and I had to hire an electric pump to express to feed to him. I wish I'd done research before. I hired the top-of-the-line medela pump (buying the attachments cost $45) for $30 per month. I would not recommend this unless you needed to express full-time though. And it hurt my boobs!

I couldn't bf at all for the first few weeks and so I have the avent Isis hand pump. Looked at hiring electric but it wasn't cost effective and the hand pump s great. I don't find it hurts either!

I think its an expense that can wait. I think look into it now if you think you will need one but don't rush out & buy one till after the baby is born. You can always hand express for those one off times when your going to be away from bub. But I have an avent isis pump. But I also love the look of the new Harmony breastpump by medela & that one is also endorsed by ABA.

Hi girls! Thanks for your comments/help! I was asking a friend in town the same questions yesterday afternoon and she said that she already has a breast pump that she hardly used and I can borrow it! Yay!! Although she's not sure of the brand etc, it works well and best of all, it's 'free'... Bonus!

FYI - She said she tried both hand pump and automatic pump types, and both were very similar...she didn't think the auto one was worth the extra money...

I was thinking of getting the Avent Isis hand pump. They're fairly accesible though so I'm just waiting until I actually need it. Em may be allergic to BM so I may not need it after all. It's good to hear that there isn't much difference between the manual and auto pumps though!

Quote Originally Posted by Lea13
    Em may be allergic to BM so I may not need it after all.
    Really? What is it that makes you think that?

He has really bad runny explosive poos and he cries when he passes them. He's also really unsettled after each feed and has a huge amount of wind (the sounds coming from him would impress Homer Simpson LOL). We also have a family history of lactose intolerance / BM allergies. We are waiting to see how it goes as both my GP and I prefer BF and Em is still gaining weight. We are hoping that he is just adjusting to BM and things will settle down soon.

Oh ok, I have just asked on my email ABA counsellor email list about this as it had me curious. This is one reply I have have had so far. I hope it can be of some help & Iwill be happy to pas on any more info I get back onthe topic.
    Baby may be sensitive to something in mum's diet and it is revealing itself as a rash or unsettled behaviour - the complication is that a baby who is very sensitive to foods will most often also be sensitive to most (except the most expensive, medically prescribed, pre digested stuff) of the infant formulas. Best that mum sees a dietician or LC who can guide her in what foods may be affecting baby, and therefore be able to give baby the best chance for less allergies as a child than she would have if she swapped to a formula

Thanks so much Fiona (sorry to have hijacked your thread Ssmiles!!)

Where would I find an LC?? I had a funny feeling it might actually be chocolate/dairy products that are doing it as I have a huge amount of it in my diet (custards, yoghurts, milk, cream, cheese etc). I did stop it for about 24 hours and it seemed to improve slightly. Should I try again for a longer period?

TIA for passing on further info as well!

DS has just woke up, I will email you some more info/question etc soon. Is your email in your profile?

Fiona I have just emailed the address in your profile so you should have my email addy now.

Thanks again!

ETA - my email won't send. My hotmail address is in my profile - that one is fine to use I will just remember to actually check it lol.

ETA - okay read the next post lol and I have emailed you!

My email is [email protected]
    the one in my profile is just on the mSN thing, which I have never got around to changing...