Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bump position

Default Bump position

OK, I know I'm only 16w gone, but my bumpling is decidedly left-handed: even friends have noticed that it's not central. It's about an inch or two further out on the left side than the right, but it has been like this since 12w when it first appeared.

Is this normal? Does it sort itself out at some point? Or am I going to have a lefty bump forever? Well, for another 24ish weeks then?

I'n not freaking out, I'd just like a "central" bump. Plus I don't mind friends commenting, but I'd rather keep comments to a minimum if possible.

Hahaha - how cute!
    Maybe bubs likes lying on one side more than the other? Check it out next time that you are at your midwife/OB checkup, they will likely have a feel around and see what exactly is going on, but it does sounds interesting.
    Do you sleep on one side more than the other? I find that when I sleep on my side, bubs will lie with their back to the lower gravity position. If I roll over in the night, I'm guaranteed to get a baby readjusting.

Oddly enough, I usually sleep on my right side, so Liebling has to fight gravity to keep a left-handed bump! Libling is a bit too low to affect this, or was at my 13w scan, but if it doesn't change I will ask in 8 days at my next midwife appointment.

Good to know it's normal!

But... that's facing DH and trust me, you don't want to do that. He grumps if I face him too. I'll check that one out with the midwife too, DH may have to get used to it.

I think it has to do with a nerve that goes to your heart.... better blood circulation to your uterus and your baby. I can't remember the name of it though :S

Maybe you should just switch sides of the bed?

And I do know just how awkward it is to do that! We've done it a number of times as DH insists on being closest to the window, and it seems every house we've lived in we've needed to swap.

BW

The left sided thing is for later in PG too, third trimester when there is more weight pushing on your spine.

I just started sleepin gat the other end of the bed! So I was still on my said but didn't have my face in DH's face. I hate being breathed on in my sleep & DH does that. He likes to snuggle in close & I hate people bein gin my "egg" (space) so he isn't allowed on my pillow lol

DH has his special pillow, at least I know he won't sleep on mine! It's this wonder pillow that he cuddles (please note he cuddles that, not me!). I think I'll try sleeping facing DH, he'll whinge but that's fair enough - if I'm still in work, I want to sleep facing him when the baby kicks so he'll get some of the nocturnal kicks (yes, I know I'm mean!). If all else fails, later in pg (3rd trimester), I either have the bed to myself as he moves in with my parents, or we both are at my parents and they have a spare room, or I get him to put up the camp bed for one of us (probably me).

Last time I was at my GP she told me it was best to sleep on my back!! That threw me as I thought the left hand thing too.
    I've always said though - the best way to sleep in the last tri is the way thats comfortable for you!!! God knows it gets hard enough to get any sleep when you are the size of a whale and getting up every 10mins for a wee

Back? I was told that back is bad - I think the baby is meant to squish you on your back, and you squish baby on your front (though the thought of a heavily pg woman on her front is another picture). I didn't think that the heart was so left-sided as for it to matter, but as I said, I'll check it out. And let you all know - it would be really daft if we were all only "allowed" to sleep in one particular position!

Ryn, my bump sits out on left hand side too but that is where bub has implanted so I figure there is more stuff going on round there. I have also heard that it is better to sleep on your side from 16wks as the pressure of the uterus can compass the maj blood vessle in your stomach or something

** Nursey Nurse Nurse Alert**
    Lying on your right side later is pg is not advisable because the baby and everything the baby readjusts can put pressure on the inferior and superior vena cava which are the blood vessels that send the blood back to the heart. Left side is best or even propping up your right hip with a pillow under it to send baby slightly left.

motherduck Guest

Now I'm not sure what side to sleep on, Would it be worse to sleep on your right with twins caus thats the side I sleep on?

I read in two pg books that I should be lying on my left side. I asked my ob why and she said it doesn't matter how you lie, as long as you are not on your back. She said either side is fine. With DS I at one stage had a low blood pressure attack while on my back at the ob having a check up. So I do believe that lying on my back is bad but I still lie on either side (I usually have to roll over a few times during the night to get comfy). Don't you hate all the contradictory info??

Sal Guest

LOL Shez at the *nursey nurse nurse alert*

LOL Shez, thanks for the technical info!! I sleep with my right bum cheek on a pillow atm. I did through the last trimester with Matilda too...only way for me sorry to say.

Hi,

The sleeping on your left side things applies to later pregnancy as baby starts to get bigger and heavier. Laying on your right side can cause too much weight to be put on your Aorta (the major artery that runs down the centre of your body), so by laying on your left side you get good blood flow through your aorta. This is also why you shouldnt sleep on your back in later pregnancy because babys weight can affect blood flow through the aorta then too.

If you are going to lay on your back then you must be propped up by lots of pillows so that you are basically sitting up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast