Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: c-sections any had problems with them

Min - its not the actual general i have a phobia about per se. My FIL died during emergancy heart surgery last year, and as it was a Coroner case (he died on the operating table), they must by law leave everything attached.

When we went to identify the body he still had the breathing aparatus in, and i'm left with that visual image.

Althought the general had nothing to do with the death, and my fear is completely irrational, i don't want to die with a tube in my throat... Even my DH whose father it was thinks its a bit stupid but anyway...

I hope i don't have to tell my obs about this, b/c i know logically it sounds stupid, but its how i've felt for the past 9 months... I'm actually quite terrified now i've dying during a c-section.

But like i said, i know my fears are rather irrational, and logically i don't want a general for the seperation between me and baby.

Yael
    They prefer to do an epidural if possible. It has less problems than a General. I would still put it in your birth plan.

Min

Scenario 1 would be an epidural
    Scenario 2 Would depend on the degree of distress. I would expect that you are going to be watched closely. And in that case would be able to pick up signs of early distress In this case it would be an epidural. If the distress was pronounced then it would be a general.
    Ok this is a rough guide to what we do to give you an anaesthetic.

Epidural
    Insert a catheter into your bladder
    Put a needle into your arm and start some IV fluids
    Shave (usually just a trim)
    Take you into theatre
    Have you sit on the edge of the bed trying to curl your back
    Paint your back with an antiseptic wash
    Give you a local anaesthetic into the skin
    Put a needle and a thin tube into your spine
    Remove the needle
    Attach plastic tube to syringe and inject drug
    Drug can take up to 15 minutes to work and sometimes needs more than one dose
    Put a mask on your face and connect you to the oxygen
    Paint your tummy with antiseptic wash

General
    Insert a catheter into your bladder
    Put a needle into your arm and start some IV fluids
    Shave (usually just a trim)
    Take you into theatre
    Inject a drug into the needle in your arm
    You are asleep within 10 seconds
    Put a tube down your throat and connect it to the oxygen and other gasses
    Paint your tummy with antiseptic wash

Yael, I can see how that experience would play on your mind - death has a way of doing that, I have some images of loved ones in my head that will stay with me forever, that I would rather did not! And I suppose when you think about it most fears are irrational, but the fear is real, I guess you just gotta figure out how to get past it, maybe speaking to your Dr. about it might help?

Thanks Alan, missed that post, yup, the epidural you explained was exactly how it went with Jackson. I am just praying that I don't need either this time around!

Alan, can I ask you a question about the muck on the chest? I should probably know the answer but don't... I was rushed to hospital on the w/end for bilary colic and they did some x-rays of my chest as well because my lung function on one side was not efficient and they thought I had a chest infection. The x-ray showed streaky marks which they have said is a side effect of my c-sect and/or pregnancy - what are the risks now considering what you just wrote about the risk of phlem? I was up and about 18hours post surgery (approx) and have been very active since my surgery. TIA

For Lukesmum: One of the girls from my due thread had a c-sect (I think it was number 3 or 4 for her) and her wound split about a week after she was discharged. She had a couple of 1cm gaps in various places along the suture line where it had come apart and was oozing rather badly (soaking combine dressings) and I think she had an infection (but am a little hazy on that).

MG

MG
    You have nothing to worry about providing that your chest is not bubbly/crackly when you breathe. You did all the right things. Up 18 after the OP and continue to be very active.

Yes when ob said 13 is the record I thought it was pretty outrageous. I have really only heard of people having up to 4. I guess it all comes down to the way it heals.

Karen, I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. As you've had three previous caesareans you would know what to expect in terms of the physical healing process.

I have only had one caesarean so I can't compare it to your situation. The only thing I can say is that good post operative management is critical to how you will heal after the surgery. I also believe in getting up as soon as you can afterwards because the quicker you get back on your feet, the better you will feel.

The hospital I had DD in doesn't even offer PCA's for c-sect! I had a ****tail of other drugs prescribed. A couple of my friends have had sections in other hospitals in Melb and also not been offered PCA's...

hi girls
    MG - My wound opened up only 48 hours after leaving hospital.
    I started getting a fever within 24 hours of the surgery, and by day 2, i was asking why i was not being treated for it,, so they brought in a doctor to see me who immediately started antibiotics. But they stopped them when i left hospital, so i had a 3 day course (like that is going to fix an infection??) I often wonder if that caused me to not get my milk in till day 8 as well?
    So within 48 hours from ceasing the antibiotics, my wound sprung 3 leaks, approx 1cm to 1 inch each. They were classed as major oozing from the hospital, and the doctor who saw me there and treated me with more antibiotics said in his opinion, I was allergic to the disolving sutures used internally as i had staples on the outside. The leakage kept up for nearly 2 weeks, completely saturating the combine bandages, and my clothes many times a day. Once it sealed over finally,,,,, the leakage then burst forth (TMI WARNING) from my hooha!!!!! that continued for nearly another week.
    Since the surgery, my actual loss was minimal, and only lasted for a max of 2 weeks,,,, but since the would has completely closed,, i have had spoting every day since,, not sure if it is related or not?
    But yes, I do way to much on a daily basis,, but I am the only one to get these things done, so have no choice

Oh, my hospital never offered a PCA with any of my c-sections either MG.I was just given the spinal for the surgery,, then nurofen, and panadol after that for 2 days, then nothing offered barr those stupid coloxyl tablet i really wish i had thrown back at them, as they gave both DS and myself major stomach cramping and pain,,,

Lil
    Last edited by Lil_Aussie; March 27th, 2007 at 11:39 PM.

Colleen Guest

Wow im hearing some ewwww wound stories.. :S

Mine wound was great, no bandages after day 3 and the staples came out with no probs, no opening or spilling out ... iykwim!

My home care nurse that visited once i went home said she hadnt seen a tidy scar like that in agesss.... I can bearly see it at all now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12