Thread: Car Seat Installation NSW

Default Car Seat Installation NSW

Can anyone tell me about the legislation for car seat and capsule installation in NSW. We were talking in the June thread and it was mentioned that it is now compulsory to have the seat fitted by a professional??? Our car is new and the anchor point is obvious so DH and i were going to install it ourselves.

Also it was mentioned that the seat must be on left or right not centrally.

If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers[/quote]

I didn`t realise it`s now compulsory to have our car seats professionally fitted. Mark did ours and it`s in the middle of the back seat.

Take Care

Deeanne

Thanks Deanne

IF you have to get it fitted professionally do you get a certificate or something? Do you get in trouble if you dont?

Heather, I`m not sure if they give you a certificate or something to say it`s been preofessionally fitted, you`d think they would. I don`t think you`ll get into trouble for doing it yourself, afterall who`s going to find out, I remember back 18 years ago when my neice was born the midwives would walk you out with the baby to make sure you have a car seat installed they don`t seem to do that now.

Take Care

Deeanne

I think they just recommend it as If you don't have it fitted correctly I think it is the similar fines to an adult not wearing a belt, or something like that..

It is only illegal, as far as I know, to have a seat in the centre if it is a 50/50 split back seat..

Stormi Guest

Hi all,

Heather, didn't clarify properly in the June thread about the capsule/car seat not being allowed in the middle only for certain types of backseats (couldn't remember what my SIL said about it, but it was the 50/50 split back seat).

Just for us naive people, what is a 50/50 split back seat anyway?

a 50/50 split seat is a seat that has the 2 halves of the back seat split in the middle not on one side of the centre seat. It is illegal to put a car seat in the middle in them as the strap may work its way between the seats making it loose and not safe

Hope that all makes sense

amalie Guest

hi heather,
    the hospital gave us a brochure that states'in nsw you are required by law to use an approved child restraint, in safe condition and correctly fitted and appropriately used' so i guess you can fit it yourself ? but there is a company that fits car seats from the royal hospital for women car park. i am getting mine done tommorrow and they said that it costs between $10-$30 (usually $20) and they are RTA approved. we were going to put in ours ourselves but it seems quite reasonable and we thought at least we know its done properly.
    hope this helps

Thanks amalie - i might go there then as its nice and close.

I got mine professionally fitted for $40.00 in Campbelltown. The guy said it is compulsary & he gave me a certificate, saying to keep it in the car cos if I was pulled over the police could ask to see it & if I didn't have it then I would be fined.

However, my mum wanted to get a base for her car as well & she got it from Babies Galore. They can fit it, but said that it's ok to do it for yourself.

My dad works for NSW Police (not an officer though) and he checked it out & said that I can't be fined for not having it professionally fitted.

Default Car seat - installation

Hi
    I have been given a car seat...but I don't know where to go to get it installed...and don't really trust myself to do it....
    Does anyone know/have contact details for somewhere that installs seats if you didn't buy them from them?
    I live in Leichhardt in the inner west...
    Thanks
    S

Hi there,

I would recommend Littlies....they are in white pages. I have found their service impeciable and had all 3 of my car seats installed by them......i was so shocked when the guy told me i had all the seats installed incorrectly, and that 70% of people dont have their car seats fitted properly......try them, you will be happy.

Sarah_H,
    What was the name of the place you used in Campbelltown for getting the child restraints fitted? I would like to contact them to check we have installed our correctly. We have put ours in the middle and both our back seats fold down, so not sure if thats safe now...

Well after reading this thread I did a bit of research and found out that some hospitals won't let you leave the hospital if your baby capsule is not fitted properly. Some hospitals have a person who checks them etc or they need to see a certificate to say that it was professionally fitted. Apparently they can be help responsible if you have an accident when leaving the hospital. Not sure how true that is though.

baby capsule can be fitted in the middle as long as the the back seats split is not 50/50 it needs to be 60/40 etc. I think I will approach DH tonight and see how he feels about getting it checked. I don't to hurt his feelings but would feel better that we had it checked by a professional. Imagine our baby getting seriously hurt because we were too proud to get the car capsule checked... I couldn't live with myself thats for sure!

We were told by the hospital to get the car seat fitted professionally else they won't allow you to take the baby home. Not sure how or if they check but we were given a certificate by baby zone when they did it so maybe you just have to show them it at th hosp?

Our car is old so didnt have the anchor point but as we live with dps family and his sister mum and dad all have prety new cars i think they already have the anchor points so we can just move the seat across - but at the moment I am too scared to take it out in case it doesnt get put back in properly!