Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you know

Default Did you know

That you can still have Wendy's milkshakes while pregnant.

All you have to do is ask for normal ice cream and they just charge you a $1 extra for it.
    I so was craving them the other week and asked if they will do that and they did now it's my weekly treat LOL

I still have it with the soft serve cause i am norti. Well okay have only had 3 in the last 8mths LOL and all times was once i was into 2nd tri. I love my flake shakes too much

Love

Kirsty77 Guest

I'm the same....I have the soft serve.......very naughty!LOL! I'd forget to ask for ice cream instead...I get very excited at the thought of a milkshake!PMSL!

Maybe i will go with just the softserve i did with Alex and he's okay

I like the flake shakes also they are my fav.

I had a few milkshakes in my pregnancy with Zander & always made sure they were made with bucket icecream not soft serve. I asked the waitress at a club once what they made it with & she looked at me like I had two heads LOL!

Michelle, the problem is that you might have 50 soft serves and never have a problem but if you happen to have one that has listeria it can be very dangerous.

Yeah i think i will stick to paying the extra $1 so i know i am safe.

Sarah - its it dangerous in all trimester? I've never known whether the danger is highest during the first and lower in the following two...

As far as I'm aware it can cause problems all the way through pregnancy, from what I've read pregnant women are 20 times more susceptible to listeriosis than anyone else. If you do contract it though, you can have antibitotics which will go through the placenta to the baby.

Yep listeria is a danger throughout pregnancy, but like Sarah said you can have ab's to help.

Thanks girls! You learn something new everyday!!

I avoided it altogether (well apart from 3 McFlurries lol).

Just a quick question. Is listeria bacteria still a problem while you're breastfeeding or can I start stocking up on all my forbidden treats soon?

And on an even *happier* note the machines that produce soft serve are notorious for harbouring bacteria.

The others are quite correct Listeriosis is a danger throughout pregnancy. It isn't a common infection but as Sarah said it would be tragic to be that one last soft serve that delivered listeria. In early pregnancy listeria will often cause miscarriage and later on it causes preterm labour and still birth. I cared once for a woman who had contracted listeriosis and her baby was born sleeping. It has made me hyper aware of what I put in my mouth in pregnancy...

Babydust - you can go back to eating all the listeria no no's as soon as your baby is born. It is not transmitted through breastmilk. Afte my last baby was born I had Brie on crackers!

In a non pregnant person listeria is quite a non event. Many people wouldn't realise they had it - of coursed immuno compromised folk would have a greater reaction...

The other thing that you need to be careful to avoid (aside from deli products, soft cheese etc) is salads. Salads on burgers etc are lovely places for Listeria to grow...

Fletch I beg to differ with you there. We (by that I mean where I work) supply about 60% of the ice cream vendors that are in Sydney and they are very very clean. Personally I would trust them more than I would a teenager at Maccas that would prefer to be at home at the end of their sift rather than cleaning an ice cream machine. Either way, I personally steer clear.

As for listeria crossing over into breast milk, I found this... "While there is a theoretical possibility that listeria monocytogenes can be transmitted via mother's milk, this has never been proven." So basically in theory it can get through, but by the looks it has never happened. So I'd still be careful.

In all of the recent info I have on Listeria there have been no reported cases of transmission via breastmilk. So, I would feel quite safe in saying this is one thing you can strike off your worry list. However, of course if you want to be ultra ultra careful then keep steering clear of risky foods.

It has to be said though Listeria would be unlikely to greatly harm a breastfeed baby. Breastfeeding offers a level of protection that is profound. It is VERY unusual for a fully breastfed baby (living in clean conditions as we do in Aust) to get gastro type illnesses. Essentially LIsteria is a type of food poisoning and is not a contagious illness as such.

I'm very naughty too, and I eat the macca's sundaes too. I have had maybe 4-5 sundaes and maybe 4 shakes this pregnancy. And I agree Fletch (although I understand where you are coming from Sarah) that I dont trust the little guy in can on the street either.
    Mind you - I had a dozen freshly opened raw oysters last week, so I'm hardly the pin up girl for being safe.

I still cant look at strawberry sundaes. Had one in 2nd tri of DD #1 pregnancy and thought i was going into labour about 4 hours afterwards. I had food poisioning. Since having experienced 2 births, and this food poisionig episode, i can honestly say it was the worst and most painful experience of the lot. I wonder how she survived in there with the noises and groans i was making !! LOL

My goodness this thread has scared the crap out of me!!!!!!! I will certainly be watching what i eat - well that is what i can actually keep down! Oh the things we do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast