Thread: Dietician in PG/preventing GD/Overweight issues??

Default Dietician in PG/preventing GD/Overweight issues??

Hello all,
    I'm TTC, however am well aware that I'm now >35 yo (only just tho') and not too far off that number on my BMI too, both high risk factors for GD :eek: .

I'm wondering whether any of you have experiences with seeing a Dietician either before or during your pregnancy, either to prevent GD or for general overweight issues and in particular whether you were able to avoid GD or its effects as a result...

I'm especially interested in stories about living the low-GI way, and if there are any ACTers who can give me local tips I'd be most appreciative too!

Hi there Marydean,

Yes I am 34 and I saw a dietician when TTC to lower my Weight and also as I found out by blood test I had high insulin levels went to the dietican to be put on a strict low GI diet.

I am happy to tell you that following this diet before my pregnancy I weighed 117kgs and lost 10kgs with the diet and also taking Metformin for 4 months then during my pregnancy that was very recent, I managed to avoid GD and also only put on 2-3kgs throughout my whole pregnancy. At the start of my pregnancy I weighed 107kgs and the end I weighed 110kgs. 2 weeks later I now weigh 100kgs. You can definately do it! I did it and my OB and family are so proud of me.

I live in Sydney not ACT, I followed the New Glucose Revolution book index of foods to work out what GI everything was and also controlled my portion amounts. Happy to tell you more if you like your welcome to email me on [email protected]

Bel
    xxx

Wow Bel, that is an awesome achievement, you have every right to be so proud of the effort you have put in and the amazing results. Congratulations on the arrival of little Julia, she's gorgeous and you've just sent my clucky meter off the dial again!!!! I'm completely inspired by your story and I'm going to email you off-thread, thanks!

While I wasnt planning on becoming pregnant again (mainly b/c I have pcos and took me 4 yrs to fall pregnant with DD#2 ) I have been under a dietitian were I lost 17kgs on a low calorie diet (if I knew it was that easy to lose the weight I would have done it sooner) I'm also a diabetic type 2 which is controlling my sugars perfectly during pregnancy so much so that they took me off Metformin.
    I cant recommed the low calorie diet more highly to lose weight and control diabeties.
    Good luck.

Hi Kerrie, Thanks for your post. And great to hear you were able to come off the metformin, I bet you feel very proud about that. What was it about the plan you were on that made it so easy?? Was is the input of the dietician, or was there some other secret to it?
    :-)

Hi Marydean =)
    Me again...
    I actually got GD when I was pregnant first time around and managed to control it with diet alone (thankfully) I was so paranoid about having a massive baby LOL but I just had to cut down on the amounts of pasta/rice i was eating with meals etc. I only wish i had kept it up after having the bub !! Im not sure about the stats on reducing your risk of getting it all together but cutting out sugars must be helpful !

Jane

Hello again Marydean, well my dietician started off by working out my weight and then how much calories I need per day to be able to lose weight. so if you are 56kg to lose weight you need to 56 x 25 = 1400 per day. To maintain your weight you times your weight by 30.
    She went on to tell me things that your high in calories and what to subitute with. like a glass of normal pepsi its 115 calories and diet pepsi is about 1 calorie. (a big difference). Juices are very high to.
    I wasnt a breakfast eater so she told me to do that as it kick starts your metablism (you wont burn any calories till you eat and start your metablism for the day. I then found that I was hunger by morning tea time (which was unusual for me) so I would make a banana smoothie with skim milk and nestle carb smart icecream. Then I would go on to have a bread roll with light ham etc with a side salad . Then I would have a tub of yogurt and a piece of fruit for afternoon tea and then dinner I would make the same as I normally did but I wouldnt have a much.
    So for excerise I would either go to the gym for 1-2 hrs in the morning if I had to work that day or If I wasnt working I would go for a 1-2 hr walk after dinner. I also did the yoga DVDs and the carmen electra (very good excerise program) dvds.
    I also brought a calorie , fat and carbohydrate counter handbook to work out the calories for the day. (after a while you know things of hand and wont use it)
    anyway if you would like any help just send me a message I would love to help you. Good luck

Thanks Kerri, you make it sound so easy! I started dieting way too young and now I just hate the thought of it. Which is why I'm focussing on the 'nutrition plan' element rather than the diet element, as such. (I KNOW there's no difference, but in my brain it makes a difference to think about how I'm supporting my body by eating the right things rather than thinking about all the yummy stuff I can't have).

I have booked in to see a dietician here in Canberra who regularly sees ppl with PCOs from the infertility clinic, so she is right up on low GI and also pregnancy weight management. Now I just have to do the excruciating part which is where you keep a food diary of everything you eat for several days...

OMG now I've told ppl they'll expect me to lose weight, *sigh* - I find the whole thing quite embarrassing, actually.

good luck. I must admit I found it really easy and I wonder why I didnt do it sooner.

Hi Marydean thanks so much for your email Im sorry I havent had a chance to reply but I promise I will reply on Saturday when I have more time and DH is looking after our gorgeous little girl!

Bel
    xxx