Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dopplers!!

This forum is a place where women can come to entertain all aspects of conception, pregnancy and parenting.

If someone has posted something that doesn't support your opinion or side on this debate, it is okay to question but lets not attack anyone else's opinions please.

My Ob never actually used one & I am a panic merchant when i am preg...
    I could feel bubs kicking & knew it was all OK...

I lost a baby at 5-6wks so nothing would have detected it...

As with anything the world over some people like them some dont...

To me there is no right or wrong, just various opinions...

I actually liked my OB (no longer working) so will have to find another when #3 comes along & I hope they are as little intrusive as he was....

Ok guys, this is my thread so stop arguing, PLEASE!

I am merely looking for places that I can buy a doppler, and looking for brand recommendations.

I am not here to see other's opinions as to whether or not I should be using one.

If you wish to have a discussion about pros and cons of Doppler usage, please start another thread, not here in mine.

chelleg Guest

Sorry to post in your thread Danni. All unwanted opinions removed, but can i just say that i NEVER ONCE criticised anyone elses opinion or decision. I never said it was right or wrong to use a doppler, i simply shared my individual opinion on what i thought was a 'discussion'.
    Last edited by chelleg; August 28th, 2006 at 03:33 PM.

Having lost a child in utero, I completely understand the need for reassurance with a doppler prior to feeling distinctive fetal movements. Considering Caitlyn was never a big mover anyway, movements for me were never an assessment tool I could use. It was also my first pregnancy and I was not sure what to expect or feel. I am still not sure what I am meant to feel when I get pregnant again due to the significant variations possible between pregnancies.

Being medical I also understand the concerns re: the use of U/S and doppler and the potential effects of the unborn child.

Could both side please consider there are advantages and disadvantages for both. Dopplers CAN be reassuring but they CAN increase anxiety when you are unable to get a reading. There is limited literature looking at the long term effect of these modalities and a fetus will also respond to a finger poking into its space by moving away from the area too.

Women who have experienced a loss are often not able to access an assessment on demand when their anxiety is high. Elevated anxiety in pregnancy is not beneficial to mother or baby.

Ultimately, we should be sharing information re: the concerns or benefits of the topic. Your personal opinion is yours and should be valued but not at the expense of someone elses. Information allows a person to critically evaluate and make an informed decision knowing the benefits and the risks. The decision should ultimately be theirs and should not be criticised.

Sorry Danni. I posted before seeing you request.

Chelle - those comments were not directed to any one person and were not directed at you for what you had posted. I am sorry if this is what was implied.
    Last edited by Michelle71; August 28th, 2006 at 04:39 PM.

Ok gather ones thoughts & move on.....

I say check out Ebay!!!! But you have time to keep an eye on it, dont grab anything just yet, you never know whao may sell one here etc.

Keep an eye on some on Ebay & get a feel for brands & prices...

yeah thanks trace, ive done that. I think I might pay the extra for the actual HB reading?

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Danni,

I got one off Ebay for about $180 or so? It was the one with the HB reading on it.

I actually felt Charlie move at 11 weeks, but couldn't detect his hb until around 16 weeks, by which time I was feeling daily kicks. It's because of this that I only ended up using the doppler about 4-6 times altogether, and sold it when I was 24 weeks along, coz I just didn't need it anymore, and it had been sitting gathering dust for a while.

So maybe wait before going out and buying one. I sold mine to Bubseykel, who loved it, but I don't think I'd buy another if I was pregnant again. You may be lucky and feel your little'un early, after all! I felt Ariani at 16 weeks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12