Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expecting and still B/fng?

Fire Fly Guest

Default Expecting and still B/fng?

Im just curious as to who is pregnant now and is still breast feeding there youngest.
    Rae, i know your one of them. Are you going to try and incourage DD to stop B/Fng before bub is born or are you happy to tandem feed.
    Im wondering because if we go again then i will be one of these mums that would be pg while still b/fng youngest. Id be keen to tandem but i have to be honest in saying that id be happier if DS SELF weaned before the birth of the bub. I think its a hard topic to answer.

I know Kristie is too. Hopefully she'll come & answer your Qs.

& one of these days I might be too

I'm hoping to fall pg when Tallon is about 1, and I plan to still be breastfeeding. I'd actually like to have him continue feeding, and tandem feed. But I've heard that with the milk changes etc, they can self wean.

I'll be interested to see how some people go with it

With the pregnancy I lost at Chrissie, Jenna was 7-9m old ad I had no problems feeding her through all that. She might have got a little fussy when I wasabout 4w pg, but it didn't seem to make all that much difference really.
    With this pregnancy, I fell pregnant when Jenna was 1y old, and continued feeding til she was 15m old (so I was about 20w pg I think?)
    To be honest the real reason I stopped feeding was it was killing my nipples. Also, Jenna had really sloppy poos, and I read somewhere that that may have been colustrum causing it. So when I stopped feeding it took all of about a week for her poos to go to a good consistency.

I think I would have considered tandem feeding had the first pregnancy stuck, but when Jenna was 15m old, I was happy to hang up the boots so to speak and give my nipples a break.

Fi

Hey Kerrie,

I'm over 13w PG now and I'm still BF Kynan who is 16 months old. He still has 3 feeds a day, most days. We could easily drop the middle feed now as it's very short, no more than a few minutes in total, but it's become a bit of a habit and he finds it comforting before he has his sleep so we've just continued with it. I've noticed that my milk supply has dropped a little but luckily Kynan's at the age where it doesn't really matter. He also hasn't been bothered by any change in taste. He loves his booby so I wouldn't be suprised if he continues to BF for quite some time.

At this stage I'm happy to continue if Kynan is, even if it means tandem feeding, but who knows how I'll feel later LOL. My nipples have become quite a bit more sensitive in the last month or so but I wouldn't say it's painful as such just yet... or at least nowhere near bad enough to think about weaning.

All the best.

Fire Fly Guest

Thanks for the input. I think its a really interesting subject. FionaJill acually emailed my some info on tandem feeding but i havent read it yet . I dare say that would tell me how you would actually do it. Id think that you would alternate kids with boobs i.e bub on left and toddler on right then next feed switch around. There wouldnt be enough milk there from the same breast for the same feed for both kids would there .

Nice to see you would certainly still go ahead and feed both. Your better mums than me. Im not pg though so i cant really comment until i was really in that situation. Kwim.

LOL Kerrie, was this thread for me? As you know Glenn still has the odd feed here & there. I thought he wasn't getting anything but I felt a let down the other night while he was having a suck in the bath so I squeezed the other side & got some clear, yellowish, i assume colostrum out. So I dare say, if i let him he will be happy to continue once my milk is in after the birth.

Apparently in about 7 months I will be a qualified midwife - yikes!

ooohhhh Kerrie, I hope it is not too long before you are expecting!!!!!

Fire Fly Guest

Fiona, Lol. i get bees in my bonnet and have to know everything before i jump in now. Call me silly but i hate the unknown. Wow at Glenn still getting some, that would please him.
    Relle, i will be ovulating around the weekend but not sure what we are going to do about it. I think im quiet happy to look after my two atm as they still need me (always will i know). We are both still so undecided about the whole thing. Best to just keep an eye on cycles to see it they are going to be normal then go from there.
    My concern is DS being still so young. Wish i could remember what DD was like at 18/19 months.

LOL - Kerrie if I am successful this month or next mine will be 15 months apart! :eek:

But if you are still undecided you are right - just wait and watch what is going on!

this is something i have been thinking alot about latley.chantelle is a booby baby and there is no way she will take a bottle or cup with milk in it.my left nipple is at times in excrutiating pain,that is he side she feeds from and it can be very very painful.not while feeding but between feeds,she also wakes during the night for feeds so i am starting to wonder about this baby that is coming,i dont think i could handle having to get up to 2 babies all night long to feed so have been thinking about intoducing a bottle to the new bub aswell as breatfeeding so that dh can help me out at times.i am pretty sure that chantelle will not be weaned before the baby comes although it would be perfect if she was.i dont actually know how to go about trying to wean her when she just loves booby so much.she is 11 months old and i am 22 weeks pregnant.
    nikki

Just thought I'd add that the ABA do a little booklet about 'Breastfeeding through pregnancy and beyond'. My copy just arrived yesterday and it's packed full of info & suggestions (including stuff on how to wean if that's what you want to do) - well worth it!

angel.how did you get hold of it and how much was it.
    nikki

I think you can order them from the ABA website.

Fire Fly Guest

Oh Relle, i didnt even realise. Doesnt that freak you out at all?. I think my mum has put the wind up me abit to by saying 'oh jay is still so young, how will you look after him and the new bub'. Gee i think ill manage mum.
    Nah, ill wait till next year i think just so he is that little bit older, but unfortunatly so will i be but never mind. We have talked about it and decided that if we dont conceive next year then two will do.

Nicole, have you tried giving Chantelle some water instead of boob at night so she isnt rewarded for getting up through the night. She will soon learn that water isnt worth wakeing up for. Kwim.

Kerrie, I am sure I will have my days if it happens, but I guess there is nothing like having them to play with each other. Campbell and Cooper are already soooo into each other, I can't wait till they can run around together!

I think you do what you have to do aswell. We are not getting great sleep at the moment anyway, so will get all of that over and done with together! LOL We will just be walking Zombies for a while!

Hi!

Yep I'm still feeding...only twice a day - morning and night. My nipples are quite sensitive with being p/g. Louis went through a very fussy stage in early p/g but we seem to have got past that.
    However, he's not a huge booby baby. I think we'll be able to drop the night (6.30pm) feed in the next month or so and then I'll see how we go with the morning feed. I really enjoy that one as I bring him into bed with me and we have a cuddle and a play.
    I'll definitely be weaning him (if he doesn't himself) before the new bubba arrives. In fact probably no later than 6m p/g just to give myself a break before starting all over again!
    I admire you mums who would tandem feed! I found the early days of feeding 6-8 + times a day really draining though so wouldn't want to be feeding a toddler also!

Nikki, yep you can get it from the ABA site. Maybe check with an ABA group near you before though - that way you won't have to pay postage. I think it only cost $4-something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast