Thread: Flying at 36 weeks

Question Flying at 36 weeks

I've had a family emergency and I am looking at flying from Cairns to Perth this week, but I'll be 36 weeks this week, is it safe to do so? I will certainly be asking my dr tomorrow, but just wanting to know beforehand what everyone thinks of that.
    I should add that it's an awful situation, and I am very emotional and unstable.
    I probably already know the answer to this. But I think I'm wanting to hear someone say that yes, it is alright.

You will probably find that the airline will want a medical certificate from your OB confirming you are fit to fly.

Jodi, it is safe to do so (unless you have had complications throughout pregnancy that I am not aware of), but most airlines require a letter from your dr to fly after 36 weeks due to the possibility of going into labour. I am sorry that you are having a hard and emotional time at the moment and I hope that it gets better for you soon.

Here you go Jodi, you should be ok, aslong as everythign is ok with you & your OB is happy for you to go

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...ring-pregnancy

Yep I flew at 36 weeks, didnt need a medical cert but i did ask the Dr a few days before just incase!

Jodi just sending you hugs hun - thinking of you, please look after yourself and Emily at this hard time

I'm sorry you're having a hard time.
    I've heard that there's no danger in flying it's just that the airlines are worried about ppl going into labour on the plane. But talk to your dr and everything should be fine

jodi im not sure thry can discriminate against pregnant women at all,
    sending you a big

Flying whilst preg is fine, unless you have had complications. You should not need a cert, living in a remote area we have no choice but to fly out to have bubs & it's usually at 36 weeks or so. Just remember to book an seat where you can get in & out easily as you will need to pee & prob stretch your legs.

I flew from the UK to Aus when I was 36 weeks. I had to have a letter but that was easy enough to get. Hope it goes well for you x

If you are seeing your Dr anyway I would get a Dr's certificate so that you are armed with it at check-in should anyone query it. I would also ring the airline once you have booked and tell them that you are pregnant and ask if you could be allocated a seat with easy access etc. If you are feeling up to it maybe be sweet to the person at checkin and ask how full the flight is and if there is any possibility of an upgrade or at least a vacant seat beside you so you can spread out (never hurts to ask - sometimes they say yes )

Hope that you can get everything sorted out.

living in a remote area we have no choice but to fly out to have bubs & it's usually at 36 weeks or so.
    For DS I flew at around 37 weeks for this same reason and had a medical certificate just in case they asked at check-in. With DD I flew from UK to Perth at 34 weeks. Provided you have no medical/pregnancy complications you should be fine.

On another note I did find that both times by the time I got off the flight I had "blown up" in relation to swelling so perhaprs consider wearing pressure stockings as a precaution.

Hope everything works out for you.