Thread: Flying while preg

Default Flying while preg

hi,

Just wanting any advice on flying, i have read not to during first trim due to radiation at altitude being increased.
    We were planning on going to qld for ny, so we would be going on a 3hr flight at 11 wks & another at 12 wks.
    We flew for 9hrs just after our first bfp, which ended in mc a couple of days later, so a bit hesitant

Thanks in advance

Flying during first trimester (or any trimester for that case ) is perfectly fine. We live on a tiny little island in the middle of Bass Strait and the only way to get to any OB/midwife/birthing centre care is to fly.

So far I've flown at 6w, 10w, 14w, and just came back yesterday from our 21w u/s and everything is perfectly fine.

Can't get more of an endorsement on the safety of flying whilst PG than our little island ... we've got bouncing, bonny babes galore and our m/c rate is no higher or lower than anywhere else. Even our local GP and the OB's in Tasmania approve.

I'm really sorry about your m/c, no mummy should have to go through that, but flying wouldn't be the cause of it ...

I think you need to ask your ob or GP about this one. I know in second trimester - after 13 weeks or so - it's generally ok, but I seem to recall once reading something about flying being linked to miscarriage in first trimester. On the other hand, the flights you're talking about are really quite short so maybe that's OK. I flew to cape town and back when 21 and 26 weeks pregnant; i think my ob had me take half an aspirin before each flight and told me to make sure I walk around the plane a lot.

it'd be a shame to miss your holiday! hope you don't have to.

Thanks -

Diva n Dan - Sorry for the silly question, but who do you fly with / sort of plane. Will add it into my googling research and help me decide?

Thanks heaps

I have flown at 10 weeks, 13 weeks and 15 weeks over 2 pregnancies and both turned out perfectly fine. But you should ask your OB and also you could ring the airline to see what they say.

I fly in teeny tiny little unpressurised planes ... an 8 seater piper, all the way up to an 18 seater cessna ...

Lenore Guest

Hi,

I'm a midwife and the advice I/we, where I work, give pregnant women about flying is that it is perfectly safe throughout pregnancy. The airlines themselves are the ones who can be a bit toey about it and international flights are the pickiest. Flying within Australia - you can fly up to term, internationally - up to about 35/36 weeks as the airlines don't want you to go into labour on the plane. This is the only reason though.

L