Thread: Ham and feta?

Question Ham and feta?

Hi,

Just wondering if its ok to eat ham and feta if they've been cooked? I'm preparing a couple of dishes for X'mas and I was wondering if it will be safe for me to eat them.

The ham will be cooked and served hot. The feta will be cooked but the dish will be served cold.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Personally I wouldnt risk it. . . Especially anything cold.

Yep the ham is fine served hot.

Fetta is a tough one. If it's Australian it will be pasteurised, the jury is out on that though some say the pasteurisation process mean you can eat it, but others say it makes no difference!! If it has been cooked & refrigerated I personaly would eat it (and have had some uncooked fetta this pregnancy anyway).

I would eat the ham, but not the fetta - but I am really careful about things served cold

I would eat the ham, but not the fetta - but I am really careful about things served cold

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was thinking the ham would probably be ok.

The feta dish I'm still unsure about. I'm making a Greek spinach pie that has a small amount of feta in it. Its baked in the oven for an hour and then I'm serving it cold. I absolutely LOVE this dish and would dearly love to eat some. Its probably ok but I'm still not sure if I'll risk it.

Can you eat it hot? That should solve your problem?

I wouldn't eat the fetta.

As i'm greek this was a toughy for me..!!

My OB said No to both... but if i really wanted it i had to eat it HOT... straight out of the oven.. i used to eat half a kg of feta a week... so this was hard for me! But you get used to it! Now i can't wait for bubs to come out so i can sink my teeth into some....!!! AND a ham salad sandwich!! yummmo

xxx good luck!

god i love HAM ... i held out eating it till i was about 36 weeks pg ... then i shoved it in my mouth like i hadnt eaten it for years ... mmmmm ham ... eat the ham hot ... but jurys out on the fetta ... but any ways ... imo i wouldnt eat hot ham .. .eww

cold its gotta be cold !!!! i dont really have an opinion .. just wanted to tell some one how much i love ham

Thanks everyone!

Well after all your sound advice I think I'll lay off the fetta. The fetta dish is going to be served cold (no other option for the functions I'm preparing it for) and it won't be straight out of the fridge. So none for me I guess.

The ham is definitely going to be baked and straight out of the oven..... Its such a hard decision..... I see my OB next Fri so I'll ask for her thoughts.

I really love and want ham but not enough to risk things.

I would eat the ham hot & the Fetta hot but not cold.

Well...I'm probably one of the less cautious ones, but I'd eat the ham and the fetta. Just me.

What I wouldn't do is have them open for ages and then eat it - it has to be out of a newly opened packet. If the worry is listeria, then you don't want something that's been lying around for too long - ham from the deli, I'll grill with cheese to get it hot and kill some bacteria first.

But if you've cooked ham and fetta in foods, I'd eat them, as long as they've been stored well, in airtight containers and not an environment conducive to growing bacteria.

I know some people feel it's irresponsible to eat pretty much whatever I want, but considering I'm never hungry, I kinda feel it's the lesser of the two evils. Plus, I'm aware the risk is quite low - it's just that the effects of listeria are pretty darned uncool if you DO eat it.

What did your OB think?

Hi All,

Well, spoke to my OB about my desire for ham and fetta. She said that if it were her, that she would eat the ham but if going by the book then no I should not eat ham or fetta.

She was telling me that Listeria is so rare that in her whole career she's only seen 2 cases of it, the last being in 1997 (and apparently that lady hadn't eaten that was on the list of food to avoid).

So anyway, I'll be a good girl and watch everyone else enjoy my beautiful, cherry- glazed Christmas ham.

Merry Christmas Everyone