Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello, help needed.

1. What is your cultural background? Im Australian

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years? I have been pg twice in the last 3 years, both ended in m/c

3. Did you take advantage of technology when having an ultra sound to find
    out the gender of your baby? Why?
    I definatley would have, couldnt of waited to find out, although i would've enjoy a surprise. I guess i would have to wait and see.

4. Was this decision reached by yourself or with other family members and
    why?
    N/A

5. Did/do you have a preference for the gender, ie. wanting a boy or girl.
    Why or why not?
    I want both, so having either one first doesnt bother myself or my partner

6.Did any of your reltaives or in-laws also have a preference on the gender
    of your baby and how was this known?
    They would have been happy either way.

7. If it was not the gender you wanted, has this effected your relationship
    with other family members and if so how?
    N/A

8. a) IF YOU ARE CURRENTLy pregnant do you think it will affect your
    relationship with your unborn child, knowing the gender before hand?

N/A

b) If YOU WERE PREGNANT, has your relationship with your child been affected in any way as a result of you finding out the gender of your baby via ultrasound? N/A

9. Wouild you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again? N/A

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? HOw?
    I dont think so, I cant really understand why it would.

11. Age range
    20-30 31-40 41-50 50 above

20-30

1. What is your cultural background? Australian

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years? Pregnant once in last 5 yrs - 1 child

out the gender of your baby? Why? Yes, because we felt that when everyone knew we were pregnant, we had lost our little secret, and wanted to get that feeling back by knowing the gender, but not having anyone else know.

why? Just DH and I

Why or why not? No preference, gender did not matter to us.

of your baby and how was this known? Both mothers seemed to want a girl. MIL bought girls dresses, and my mum kept saying how nice it was having a girl.

with other family members and if so how? Not at all - they were all too excited to meet their first grandchild.

b) If YOU WERE PREGNANT, has your relationship with your child been affected in any way as a result of you finding out the gender of your baby via ultrasound? No.

9. Wouild you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again? Possibly, depends on if we have the need to share a secret!

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? HOw? Probably no more than it does already.

11. Age range
    20-30 31-40 41-50 50 above 20-30

Good luck with your assignment!

1. What is your cultural background? New Zealander

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years? Currently preganant (9wks)

3. Did you take advantage of technology when having an ultra sound to find out the gender of your baby? Why?
    Not yet, but plan to when at appropraite gestation because I hate waiting for surprises ...seriously to allow us some time to think about names, prepare things and because my grandmother may not live long enough to see her first great-grandchild so we would love her to know as much as possible...(sorry about long answer there)

4. Was this decision reached by yourself or with other family members and why?
    DH and I discussed it because we are the only people we think it matters to

Why or why not?

No preference, gender did not matter to us.

6.Did any of your reltaives or in-laws also have a preference on the gender of your baby and how was this known?
    Not that we know of

7. If it was not the gender you wanted, has this effected your relationship with other family members and if so how?
    This one doesnt really fit

Perhaps strengthen it as it is not an unknown to deal with....I know what I'm expecting...hard to know

9. Wouild you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again?
    Probably

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? HOw?
    Can't see why it would

11. Age range
    20-30

lost_chick3n Guest

Sorry. ignore the message that was here

1. What is your cultural background? European but now Australian

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years? Pregnant last year

out the gender of your baby? Why? Absolutely - have technology must use it. I have always wanted to know in order to prepare and bond with my baby

why? My hubby and I both felt the same. Other family wishes had nothing to do with it.

Why or why not? I have always dreamed of having 3 boys

of your baby and how was this known? Not sure

with other family members and if so how? Even if it had been a girl we would have loved her just the same. A healthy baby is all that really matters

relationship with your unborn child, knowing the gender before hand? n/a

b) If YOU WERE PREGNANT, has your relationship with your child been affected in any way as a result of you finding out the gender of your baby via ultrasound? I got used to the idea of having a little man, I could get his room ready and did not have to buy gender neutral clothes, and saved a lot of time worrying about a name, LOL!

9. Wouild you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again? Absolutely

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? HOw? No

11. Age range
    20-30 31-40 41-50 50 above 31-40

ooops only just saw your note.... ignore my answers and best of luck!

lost_chick3n Guest

Eh! actually your response was not wasted!!

Im sorry.. but.. i just discovered that i do not need these analysis till later on!!! turns out i got extra time Sorry..

i dont mean to be a hassle! So yea .. sorry!

So in other words, if you still dont mind.. but survey is back on!

So thank you... and im terribily sorry >.< but i am a deeply unorganised person! Sorry sorry ](*,)

You guyz are all gonna kill me now "runssssssssssss and hides"

skyelar Guest

1. What is your cultural background? Australian (both of us)

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years? 17 weeks pregnant & have 26 month old daughter.

3. Did you take advantage of technology when having an ultra sound to find out the gender of your baby? Why? No not with daughter, wanted a surprise. Will find out with this baby, my reason being that we used IVF to conceive & I want to bond with baby before he/she arrives. I felt a bit out of the loop with the conception.

4. Was this decision reached by yourself or with other family members and why? Hubby hasn't minded either time, he has left it up to me to decide.

5. Did/do you have a preference for the gender, ie. wanting a boy or girl. Why or why not? No we didn't have a preference at all.

6.Did any of your reltaives or in-laws also have a preference on the gender of your baby and how was this known? No not with my daughter, my Mum has said it would be "nice" to have a boy this time. We aren't bothered either way. We will keep the gender a surprise for everyone else. Only me & my husband will know.

7. If it was not the gender you wanted, has this effected your relationship with other family members and if so how? not applicable

relationship with your unborn child, knowing the gender before hand? Yes I think I will be more prepared mentally knowing whay sex the baby is, I didn't want to have a surprise & feel disconnected as the conception was so clinical.

b) If YOU WERE PREGNANT, has your relationship with your child been affected in any way as a result of you finding out the gender of your baby via ultrasound? Not applicable

9. Would you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again? No I don't think we would as our next will definately be the last, so it would nice to have another surprise.

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? HOw? No I don't think Australia is a country where one sex is preferred over the other.

11. Age range 20-30

1. What is your cultural background? I am an Australian

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years?
    This is currently my 6th pregnancy. I had a baby girl last year so there will be 15months difference between these babies

3. Did you take advantage of technology when having an ultra sound to find out the gender of your baby? Why?
    Yes, because I already had three girls and two boys, we found out with this one so we could organize clothes etc.. ahead of time.

4. Was this decision reached by yourself or with other family members and why?
    By ourselves, because we wanted to know if we were having 3 girls 3boys or 4 girls 2 boys.

Why or why not?
    No, as long as the baby is healthy that's all we care about

6.Did any of your reltaives or in-laws also have a preference on the gender of your baby and how was this known?
    No all they cared about was the baby being healthy

Hasn't affected any relationships

No, because this baby was wanted and we would love it no matter what.

b) If YOU WERE PREGNANT, has your relationship with your child been affected in any way as a result of you finding out the gender of your baby via ultrasound?
    N/A

Yes most definately

It won't really matter as people will take a child no matter what.

11. Age range
    20-30

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years? Currently

3. Did you take advantage of technology when having an ultra sound to find out the gender of your baby? Why? Yes its a boy.. im too impatient and couldnt wait 40 weeks plus wanted to start buying either boy or girl clothes.

4. Was this decision reached by yourself or with other family members and why? By myself and my partner.. some family members didnt agree on our decision but at the end of the day, it was our decision.

Why or why not? We preferred a boy but if it was a girl we would have still loved her just as much. My partner wanted a boy to do "boy" things with.. ive just always wanted a boy first.

6.Did any of your reltaives or in-laws also have a preference on the gender of your baby and how was this known? My sister after 2 boys wanted a girl but if it was a boy she still would have been happy.. found out via ultrasound that it was a girl.

with other family members and if so how? We're having a boy and wanted a boy, some family members wanted us to have a girl and we slightly disappointed but are still happy for us.

relationship with your unborn child, knowing the gender before hand? Not at all. We will love our baby no matter what gender it is.

b) If YOU WERE PREGNANT, has your relationship with your child been affected in any way as a result of you finding out the gender of your baby via ultrasound?

9. Wouild you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again? Yes definately.. it makes your planning a little easier.

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? HOw? Only with people who are against it having negative opinions for those who want to find out and vise versa.. people should be able to do what they want.

11. Age range
    20-30

Baby_Crazy05 Guest

1. What is your cultural background? Anglo-Australian

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years? Currently pregnant

3. Did you take advantage of technology when having an ultra sound to find out the gender of your baby? Why? We both really wanted to find out the sex of the baby at our 19 week u/s. As this is our first, we were (ARE) totally excited, but also wanted to be as organised as possible (plus we're really impatient lol) and knowing whether or not it was a boy or girl would have made life easier. But bub had other ideas and we weren't able to tell one way or the other, so we've had to wait.

4. Was this decision reached by yourself or with other family members and why? Only my husband and I made this decision. Our family members had their opinions, but in the end it's up to us what we want to do.

Why or why not? We both really want a girl for this bub ... we feel like it is, not sure why that is though. Most of our family think it's a boy. I mean we would be thrilled to bits if its a boy (esp. as hubby is the last male in his family, and we would eventually really want to have one), but I think hubby wants a girl for the "Daddy's little girl" thing, and also my brother and his best friend have just had girls, so he could relate to them a bit better and ask heaps of questions. Of course I'm also excited by the thought that I will be able to raise a little girl and mould her to be a wonderful young lady, like my mum did with me O

6.Did any of your reltaives or in-laws also have a preference on the gender of your baby and how was this known? No preference, but hubby's mum thinks its a boy as I did not have morning sickness or anything with this baby and she didn't with my hubby (he has 3 sisters and she was sick as a dog with them). My mum thinks its a boy just for the fact she already has a granddaughter and wants one of each.

with other family members and if so how? Not knowing with any certainty, I don't think it will matter one way or the other.

relationship with your unborn child, knowing the gender before hand? I don't think so ... we weren't able to find out, but having a strong feeling that we are having a girl when we talk about the baby we say "she" or call her by name (only around each other though as we're not telling people names until the birth). We don't like the idea of "it". I guess we would do the same if we thought, or knew, that it was a boy.

b) If YOU WERE PREGNANT, has your relationship with your child been affected in any way as a result of you finding out the gender of your baby via ultrasound? N/A

9. Wouild you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again? Absolutely!

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? HOw? I don't see why it should it Australian society at this time.

11. Age range 20-30

1. What is your cultural background?
    Born and bred in Australia, as is my family.

Was pregnant last year

Yes!!! Didn't find out with first baby, so I a) wanted a different experience and b) having a 7 year old, I wanted her to be able to bond. The baby was to a different dad than that of my first daughter, and I wanted her to feel as comfortable and prepared as possible for our baby.

why?
    We all reached teh decision together, and infact as soon as I mentioned my desire to find out, we all got really excited to know.

Why or why not?
    I desperately wanted a girl even though I never really said that to anyone . I don't know why, as I already had a daughter, but I think growing up Ionly ever imagined myself as a girly type mum. When I was young I wanted a sister, when I was older I wanted daughters!!

I think my mother in law wanted a boy, but that was the only person who had a preference. ALot of people however, said that "I guess you're disappionted it's not a boy"??!!!

I got my girl. My mother in law was over the moon with a girl anyway, so no relationships effected.

N/A

I dont think it was affected in any way shape or form. I bonded with both children whilst pregnant and it didn't matter what sex they were. It was nice to know she was a girl the second time and refer to her as such, but as ultrasound is not 100% reliable, I had to wait until birth to be sure it was a girl anyway. So the experience was much the same with both.

I am not sure. Part of me thinks I wouldn't because I would not mind if I had boy or girl ,but part of me is too impatient!

It would only have consequence if people found out and decided not to have the baby because it wasn't the gender they wanted. But even then, it's a personal choice and I don't think it would effect society. What individuals do is no ones business.

11. Age range
    31-40

Thank you

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years? Currently 36 Weeks pregnant

3. Did you take advantage of technology when having an ultra sound to find out the gender of your baby? Why? Yes too impatient to wait and find out!! Also wanted to be organized as this is our first.

4. Was this decision reached by yourself or with other family members and why? This decision was reached between my partner and myself and was more of a given understanding that we would find out rather then a ‘decision’

5. Did/do you have a preference for the gender, ie. wanting a boy or girl. Why or why not? I thought it was a boy but would have liked a girl – so I guess no I didn’t have a preference though my partner wanted a girl!

6.Did any of your relatives or in-laws also have a preference on the gender of your baby and how was this known? No

7. If it was not the gender you wanted, has this effected your relationship with other family members and if so how? No we are all ecstatic.

a) IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY pregnant do you think it will affect your relationship with your unborn child, knowing the gender before hand?
    Yes I believe I have bonded a lot more strongly with my baby already as I have been able to name him and talk to him etc. It has made me want to meet him even more!

9. Would you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again? Yes I would.

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? How? Haven’t really thought about this but I don’t think it would greatly effect Australian society except by helping to deal with gender disappointment.

11. Age range
    20-30 (21)

Australian

currently 28 weeks pregnate

out the gender of your baby? Why? we tried to but our baby did not want to show us if it was a boy or girl - we wanted to know because i am impatient and because of finances

why? my husband and i desided we wanted to find out no one else had an input (we still dont know the sex but if given the chance we would find out)

Why or why not? we would like a girl to start with - i have grown up in a house full of girls and my husband thinks they are easier to raise.

of your baby and how was this known? no

with other family members and if so how? N/A

relationship with your unborn child, knowing the gender before hand? no i think it would bring us closer together as i would be able to refer to it as an individual person instead of the baby.

9. Wouild you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again? possibly

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? HOw? no

11. Age range
    20-30 31-40 41-50 50 above - 20 - 30

2. Are you currently pregnant or were pregnant in the last few years? - 27 weeks pregnant and had my first bub in 2004

3. Did you take advantage of technology when having an ultra sound to find out the gender of your baby? Why? Didn't find out about either baby's sex. We wanted to be suprised.

why? It was a decision that we both agreed on, and our family were happy with our decision.

Why or why not? It didn't matter the first time and it doesn't matter this time but I want the 3rd to be a girl so that I'll either have 2 boys and a girls or 1 boy and then 2 girls. Not quite sure why, I guess so that there will be 2 in line that are the same sex.

6.Did any of your reltaives or in-laws also have a preference on the gender of your baby and how was this known? No one said anything about whether they wanted a boy or girl but they all seem to think they knew the first was a boy and that this one is going to be a girl.

7. If it was not the gender you wanted, has this effected your relationship with other family members and if so how? It didn't matter to us what it was but I know my partner was impressed with himself that the first was a boy.

relationship with your unborn child, knowing the gender before hand? not at all.

b) If YOU WERE PREGNANT, has your relationship with your child been affected in any way as a result of you finding out the gender of your baby via ultrasound? not at all.

9. Wouild you find out the gender again, if you were pregnant again? no.

10. Do you think that finding the gender of babies in the womb will have any future consequences in Australian society? HOw? unsure

11. Age range
    20-30 31-40 41-50 50 above ---> 25

lost_chick3n Guest

Thank you for your replies!!!
    Very grateful has helped me alot!!

=D>

hehe n e cya

Australian

Currently Pregnant

No... We decided it would be a nice suprise when the baby arrives to find out what sex it is. We also were a bit concerned that they would get it incorrect and we would have a boy wearing pink dresses!!!

why?

My husband and I agreed from the start!

Why or why not?

I would love to have a healthy child... no gender preference.

No

n/a

No... I will love it no matter what and bond with it no matter what.

Possibly next time, but we'll have to see when and if we get there.

No... Can't see why it would.

11. Age range

20-30

Good Luck HTH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12