Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with dermatitis

Once again, my dermo & obs say it is fine to use all topical cortisone creams during pregnancy. This includes Elecon, diprosone, diprosone OV, Chlobetsol etc. The reason that it says in the product info 'do not use during pregnancy' is that i have yet to find one single product (pain killers, anything), that do say, because they don't want to be sued. If you ask your obs, midwife, dermo etc, they should all tell you it is safe.

Or you can call the pharmacy department at Monash Medical centre. They are great about giving out the real information about what is safe to use.

The only evidence of problems is steriod injections. Creams you apply to your skin don't absorb that much to get to the fetus. You should avoid using on your abdomen unless it is really necessary. In general it is best only to use the minimum amount needed, as that way it will be more effective when you really need it.

I use plastic occlusion therapy - which means i put the cream on at nights and wrap my hands in plastic (not latex) gloves to get maximum absorption. I normally keep them on and hour or two before i take it off in my sleep, but it is great for fixing my hands.

It is important to mouisterise every 1.5 hours. I used to set an alarm on my phone (trust me, i never realised how quickly the time went until i was doing that.... seemed all i ever did was mouisterize). The best one i have found for me was 'Neturogena Norweigian Formula handcream (don't like the body one)'. This was recommended by 3 different dermos, and it's interesting because they normally tell you to steer well clear of all the commerical rubbish as it is normally shocking for skin, but this one really works for me, as long as i do it constantly.

Avoid water where possible. Wear Cotton lined gloves under rubber gloves to do washing up. Better yet, don't do it as you still end up with some irritation. Wear gloves for any cleaning, changing nappies, babies baths.

When you shower try to keep it very quick, luke warm water only. Hot water is shocking for skin. Then when you are out smear yourself with cream. I used to use the dermeeze ointment (very greasy, applied thenwiped off excess with towel), when i had eczema from head to toe.

Never ever use soap!! Terrible for skin. I use QV soap free wash, or Hamiltons makes a great one. Use low PH shamp/cond. Otherwise the runoff from your hair (even if you don't have it on your scalp), will go down your body, and you get it on your hands anyway using it. I use go (by QV) shamo & cond, or this otherone that is oatmeal based. Basically you can't use shamp/cond that you can buy in a supermarket, they are all full of rubbish which ruin your skin!

Be careful of what makeup you use. There are a few brands i can use (Max Factor), i normally try to steer clear of cheap brands which add a lot of perfumes etc to theirs. It is all trial and error basically.

Stress makes eczema worse, but it doesn't cause it. Severe eczema is a very stressful condition.

I found cotton clothing the best. You must be careful of washing power. I used Omo Matic Sensitive. I tried i few different ones, and i know it was the washing powder becuase the minute i changed i got flare ups all over my body.

Had to bath is pintarsol and QV bath oil to get the irritation down - it took weeks and i was in agony. Never change my washing powder now. Check your fabric softner doesn't have plant extracts (i use a special one for sensitive skin), as this can irritate things.

Umm.. can't think of anything else at the moment, when i do i will pop back in and mention it.

But i have had a few very bad years of eczema (hence the light therapy... if i can get it to work my last final option is radiation therapy with x-rays, thats how bad mine is). But i highly recommend UV light therapy for dermo problems (works better with psorasis than eczema - 90% vs 60% sucess rate)

Hi Yael
    Thanks for that information, that was really helpful.
    I spoke with my Obs today and he said yes I can use the elocon but only very minimal amounts as some of the steroid is absorbed and can pass through the placenta.
    I will go and check out the products you mentioned and see if they help me before resorting to the elocon. I would really like to control it without the cream if I can.
    I actually suspected my shampoo/conditioner yesterday as my hands were going well and then i had a shower and washed my hair and my hands started itching immediately. My problem is that my hair does not react well to changes in shampoo or conditioner but i will give it a try and see how it goes.
    I only get the dermatitis on 1 cheek on my face, my wedding ring finger and the first knuckle and 2 fingers on my right hands plus the area across the knuckles on that hand. No where else which i find bizarre.
    Tonight i have tried some baby oil with aloe vera & vitamin E to see if that will soothe them a little.
    fingers crossed i can find something that works.
    Thanks for your help.

Ooow ooow i just found this thread!

I have had dermatitus on my hands since i fell pregnant with this bubs (didnt happen with DS, or have i ever had it before). My doctor prescribed me Sigmacort Cream 1% and said it is perfectly fine while pregnant as it is very low in the steriod. She said i may need to use it 2 or 3 times a day but it has worked wonders! I have only needed to use it 2 or 3 times and my dermititus clears up (does come back after a few weeks as its pregnancy related.. but i just put another lot on).
    So maybe ask your doctor about that?

Yael - I've tried and I've tried and the "natural" way is not helping me at all. I've gone to sorbolene soap (actually soap free but it replaces soap), the Ego shampoo & conditioner, using QV re-hydrate wash, Using the neutrogena hand cream, and none has been of any help.
    I have less redness but the itching is waking me up at night and when I do wake I know i've been scratching like mad, so i put on some moisturiser and it settles down.
    I don't think I can take it much longer.. I have a wedding to go to in 2 weeks and my hands look like I've burnt them with hot water E.g. blisters.

Kellxx - i think i'll go get a script for the same as you. I can't take it any longer. I don't really want to use the Elocon as I've read so many conflicting responses regarding safety so I figure if I can the lowest dose cream I can then that'll have to do. Cannot wait for some relief.

Yeh its really good Belinda. I havent had to use it now for a few weeks! Definately good stuff!! Hope it helps you too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12