Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoe long did it take to conceive?

Talking Hoe long did it take to conceive?

Just out of interest, how long did it take you guys to conceive and what do you think the average time is?

Sal Guest

Depends on your and your partner's age! Under age 30, about 6 months is average, over 30 and it starts to head toward 12 months.

FYI my #1 took 3.5yrs then #2 took only a few months. BUT I've got fertility issues, so my numbers aren't relevant to you

I think a lot of it depends on how fertile you are.
    They say age also has something to do with it but I've never had any problems falling pregnant.
    I am 34 and I've always fallen pregnant quickly and we didn't start for our first until i was 30. I guess i have just been very lucky in that way.

Yeh it does as I had a lap in Feb for blocked Fall tube- It was opened (and a mild case) and surgery was succsessful,but have been trying for 4 months and getting worried. I just thought that when everything got fixed I'd get preg.Im not on any meds- though maybe gyno should have? It just seems like everyone I know falls preg by 'accident' or first try- and I'm not exaggerating- this is truly happening all around me!

Kim if you had a blocked tube i would give yourself a few more months of trying.

I found out with this pregnancy i have one blocked tube and was able to fall pg with the other one. It took us 5 months to fall pg after my last miscarriage.

Please don't give up hope.

I'm 33, my partner is 39, I got pregnant first try - I guess the timing was just perfect. BUT - I spent 3 months beforehand having acupuncture and taking chinese medicines to fix up my irregular AF, and a couple of other things before TTC. You just never know!

Took us about 3 months... 2 of which i had some sort of mild infection in there somewhere(quite painful!), GP gave me some antibiotics and we got our positive a month later.

I dont think there is an average... just got to keep trying....

Don't worry - it's not always that quick. At 33/34 I took 9 months to conceive DS and had no fertility worries. Based on my EDD for DS I worked out that I must ovulate very early in the cycle so maybe this is why it took so long - we weren't quite getting the timing right. But I have many friends who took as long or longer.

Second time around it took just 3 very irregular cycles so I think being more relaxed helps (ie knowing that it can happen). Again, based on EDD I conceived well after I would have expected to be fertile but of course AF was very irregular due to BF so not too surprised by this.

Perhaps it is worth trying for longer each cycle (ie start earlier and keep going for longer).

Good luck, but relax (I am convinced this really helps),
    Melanie.

#1 (miscarried) - surprise pregnancy
    #2 Emily - another surprise but I was charting and I know we conceived her when we were using natural family planning and decided to disregard the rules "just once" LOL.
    #3 (miscarried) - 2nd month trying
    #4 this bub - Ist try.

#1 9 months of not really trying (DS), (34)
    #2 5 months (37) (twins S/B)
    #3 11 months of trying after previous loss (39) (blighted ovuum)
    #4 1st try first month after previous loss (39) (DD)
    #5 1st try (40) (DD)
    #6 2nd month (43) (M/C 16wks)

Now on 10th cycle of trying after previous loss.
    Debbie

#1 9 months of not really trying (DS), (34)
    #2 5 months (37) (twins S/B)
    #3 11 months of trying after previous loss (39) (blighted ovuum)
    #4 1st try first month after previous loss (39) (DD)
    #5 1st try (40) (DD)
    #6 2nd month (43) (M/C 16wks)

Mow on 10th cycle of trying after previous loss.
    Debbie

Took Dh and I 21mths and we were just about to go on fertility treatment (at 20 and 23 mind you!) when we got pregnant naturally with the first one that ended in m/c. Then we were waiting for AF to come back after surgery so we could start on IUI's when I got pregnant 3wks after losing the first bub naturally again.
    We were told 6 months for under 30 but its a load of bull, depends on your fertility and luck really! We had nothing clinically wrong with us yet we struggled almost two years as young as we are!

tinka Guest

It only took DH and I about 6mths. The first three were kind of pretend tries since I knew I needed some help with my cycle due to my PCOS.
    Appointment with Dr Mark Bowman in Feb, 50mg of Clomid in the firsth mth and I failed to ovulate, 100mg in the second and I ovulated but no bubba and 100mg in the third when the miracle happened!

Tink x

The first cycle after DH ditched the condoms for me! Although we weren't actively trying yet - we were going to start at Christmas, or that was the plan!

Thanks for all your imput guys...I feel a little better now!

My DH and I are both 27 and have been trying since mid october 2005 with no results to speak of . I have PCOS so it's going to take us a while.

Hang in there Kim. TTC can be one of the most trying, stressful and difficult journeys.

Dan.

We became pregnant on our 6th cycle of trying. I have just turned 22 and DH is 34, and this is our first pregnancy.
    I went to my doc a few weeks ago for something completely different and also asked him about this and he told me its not uncommon for a healthy couple to take up to 12 months to conceive...

im 28 and hubby is 26.

we have been trying for 4 months and so far nothing.

as far as we know we dont have any health or fertility issues.

i know how you feel though. most of my friends fell straight away and each month that goes by makes me feel a bit anxious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast