Thread: Hospital Bag..please help

Default Hospital Bag..please help

Ok so its 4years 7months between babies and im a little on the rusty side, ive started packing my bag and here is my list of what I have packed in there, do I have enough stuff, do I need more, please add to my list if it needs it, it just doesnt seem like enough stuff im 36 weeks preg..

4 pairs trackies
    1 pyjama pants
    slippers
    dressing gown
    5 pk of new black undies
    4 tops
    2 packs maternity pads
    i pk 40 breast pads
    socks
    toiletries

All i can think of is some nice soft toilet paper, maternity bras, camera, video camera, spare batteries

Just thought Id add, its a ceaserean birth, if that makes a difference to what to pack

Maybe a favourite extra comfy pillow or cushion?

i'm not sure if this is your style, but i really cherished my ipod moments...needed some calming tunes to keep me company on the long nights (also when i didnt want to have the TV on...).

i'd vote for a comfy pillow. so annoying having to rest your arm (if you have a cannula in) on your body at night...ITH.

more undies! I didnt pack enough and i had to send my mum to get more for me and that was only for a 3 day hospital visit. oh and maternity bras if you plan on breast feeding

yep bra's I have that on my list just forgot to put it down lol, I plan on buying some more maternity singlets with the bra in them, that way i can still hide my tummy

Make sure you pack your own bottle of water... you'd be amazed at how such a simple request could be so hard to meet in a hospital but for all my 3 stays I really valued my own bottle. it's such a dry environment if you aren't used to airconditioning ugh. I also used lots of lip balm... and a rosewater hydrating mist spray is just DIVINE! Jurlique and MiEssence do lovely travel sized ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius2 View Post
    i'm not sure if this is your style, but i really cherished my ipod moments...needed some calming tunes to keep me company on the long nights (also when i didnt want to have the TV on...).

i'd vote for a comfy pillow. so annoying having to rest your arm (if you have a cannula in) on your body at night...ITH.
    Yeah i been looking for a new mp3/ipod, just looking on ebay at the moment, not sure my music is so much calming though lol my fav's are lady gaga, britney & pink lol

Quote Originally Posted by cocobambino View Post
    Yeah i been looking for a new mp3/ipod, just looking on ebay at the moment, not sure my music is so much calming though lol my fav's are lady gaga, britney & pink lol
    as long as it's music YOU can lose yourself in, it doesn't matter what it is! i find staying anywhere other than my own bed, i don't sleep well because of the change of noise - we use music all night at home (we have milk tankers go past all night) and i need that distraction to sleep properly. it doesn't have to be loud (in fact i can always hear the background noise anyway) but it's enough to lose myself in it

i would be thinking you'd be better off taking more than 2 packets of pads - if you're having a c/s you're likely to be in hospy several days, and i've read a lot of threads of people using a LOT of pads those first few days - so unless you want to be sending someone shopping, i'd have them - better to have too many than not enough...

I had a c/s 18 months ago...

Although I didn't 'bleed' much after c/s, I did use the pads as a protection over the scar...just tucked it into the top of my undies...

Also...try and make sure that your undies and clothes aren't going to have waistlines that are going to be sitting on your c/s scar...best to get nanna undies...which are not the nicest looking, but are so comfortable to wear!

It's also a good idea to hold a cushion over your scar when you cough and laugh...just that extra bit of support.

I also found that I was really cold at night (hospital air conditioning!!!) so some warmer pj's were a godsend!

All the very best!

Well you'l lbe in there for a few days so entertainment would be useful.

I also had a folder with bank details, medicare details etc etc so when i filled out baby bonus claims/add to medicare card/private health etc i had all the details handy.

I would also have a list of stuff you'll be using up until the day such as mobile charger, brush etc. Even if birth is planned it's easy to forget that stuff at the last minute. I found a lot of stuff i couldn't pack eg. bras and then i had to a think of them and b direct hubby to where they might be. I ended up getting someone to buy me a new brush, deoderant etc as i forgot them even afetr i sent hubby home for cameras/phone chargers etc.

I have packed a toothbrush and shampoo/cond and all that stuff I just brought these great mini travel packs.
    My last baby was a ceaser and i remember using the hospitals pads the first day but ur right ill def need more, should make sure i have enough for when i come home to last a few days before i need to venture out, I think I starting using tampons the day i came out last time.
    Ill only be in here for 4 days 5 at the absloloute maximum

Quote Originally Posted by cocobambino View Post
    I have packed a toothbrush and shampoo/cond and all that stuff I just brought these great mini travel packs.
    My last baby was a ceaser and i remember using the hospitals pads the first day but ur right ill def need more, should make sure i have enough for when i come home to last a few days before i need to venture out, I think I starting using tampons the day i came out last time.
    Ill only be in here for 4 days 5 at the absloloute maximum
    you shoudln't be using tampons after you have a baby hun! it's a no go big time!

make sure you have a stash of "friendly" clothes at home that you can refer DH to - if you're in for 4 or 5 days and happen to have a leak onto your pj's or clothes, you'll want to know DH can bring you more stuff that will be comfy straight away...

Has anyone said more pj pants?
    You might just need them for the first night/morning. Old ones. That first day often has a pretty heavy flow & it's not easy if you aren't prepared
    Can you take a BF pillow with you? It may help you get comfy after your c/s.

Maybe a pack of lollies...like barley sugars or mints.

And I agree with definitely packing the lipbalm and bottle to fill up with water - these with a writing pad and pen was always within arms reach (I found I used the writing pad to jot feeding times down, as I was getting confused when the nurses came and asked when the last feed was and for how long...think i've got a bit of a short term memory sometimes)

I had a pile of change for cafe/vending machine.

Quote Originally Posted by saslia View Post
    I had a pile of change for cafe/vending machine.
    Unfortunatley this hosi doesnt have them its a tiny tiny hospital, ill be the only mum there