Thread: How did you announce your pregnancy?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default How did you announce your pregnancy?

So when you found out you were pregnant, did you do something special for your family or partner? I'm putting together a compilation for an article so if you did something special or different, please share

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I didn't do anything special because I had had am/c and then was bleeding so we were very wary. I told some people face-to-face, some people guessed because I was sick! I text others around the 13 week mark. I actually found it hard telling people face to face for some reason - I always got really nervous!! No idea why!

I made a needlework piece that had pieces of cake, cookies, ice cream sundaes etc and the words 'What happens at grandma's stays at grandma's' and gave it to mum. She worked it out from that.

She then called my sister out and showed it to her. Her response 'oh, that's nice'. Then 10 seconds later, jumping up and down and screaming when she worked out what it meant. That was the best reaction we got!

PIL were told face to face, most friends were via email or phone.

I told hubby that i suspected that i was pregnant and we didi a HPT together.. To tell my mum we took her out for lunch and when we ordered drinks i aske for a lemonade ( i would notmally have a wine) and then DH made a toast wishing her all the best as a grandma.. i think she almost spilt her drink with excitment! other diners were happy for us aswell..great day

I GF of mine made little cards for all her family members and posted them out.. however her plan cam unstuck when a family memeber did not get hers, it arrived 3 weeks later and she had to tell her the good news herself.

My hubby and I took a HPT together after he told me my belly was looking rather chunky (he has a way with words).

I only announced it after I had had a blood test to work out how far along I was... I called Luke's mum first and said to her "So now that you have two grandchildren, are you ready for a third?" to which she scoffed "Pfft! No!" before realising!! It was really funny..

After confirming with the Dr - DH and I tried to wait (until 12 weeks) but we couldn't. At 7 weeks we turned up at MILs and had a big smile.... we have some news... I said, MIL went crazy, as she knew we were thinking of trying, so we didn't even have to say the words. And the same with my dad, over the phone, I have some news I said, your up the Duff?? he said back It was great that so many people guessed as soon as we said we have some news (with a smile)

i painted a tshirt for eliana saying "big sister" & took her over to my parents - mum did get it at first - mil didnt get it for a few hours then it clicked

Mmmm..the IL's, DH told his mum who trout mouthed to the rest of the family and who ever she looked at in the street.
    My parents, my DH told my dad then told me a couple of weeks later he had told dad. My DD called my mum to tell her, but I suspect she already knew if my dad did.
    Telling my DH... I tested a couple of days before our FS said I could after our 1st IVF cycle. Got a faint BFP, but hadn't used FMU. I was so excited anyway, that I got DD's car seat out of hiding and put it in the car to see how it would fit, I then put the +ve HPT in the seat. When we woke up I took him downstairs, stood him beside the car and told him I had a present for him. He couldn't see the carseat, so I opened the door to show him. He said "Oh great it fits" then leaned over to see how it was sitting in the seat and saw the HPT. He picked it up and asked me if it meant what he thought it did, and then asked me if it was actually mine! He gave me a huge cuddle and we were both shaking.

DH told DD when he was keeping her distracted in the shops while I was playing santa.

Nic

Dh and I tested together. The first time I got a faint positive I wasn't sure and asked him what he thought. He was pretty sceptical. So we kind of came to the realisation together over a few days that it was really happening.

With my family we were all at Mum and Dad's for the day, and I waited till the end of the day (I knew my sister was expecting an announcement so decided to wait so she would think we hadn't had any luck this month). Anyway, we were talking about moving DH's weight bench out of the spare room and storing it at Mum and Dad's. Dad asked why, and I said 'Cos we'll be needing the room soon'. A couple of seconds later he said 'How soon?' and I replied 'About 8 months'. They all clicked then and the screaming started.

With DH's family we were having a late (by a few weeks!) Christmas dinner and DH told them they'd be needing a bigger table next year for Christmas. Again, it took them a couple of seconds to cotton on, then the excitement hit.

We Photoshopped a picture of us in to a page from a gossip magazine that had a spread about celebrity babies due in 2007... so we had a photo of ourselves up there next to Princess Mary, Scary Spice etc.... We wrote a little blurb under it about my baby bump, in true trashy magazine style. We emailed it to all our friends at about 12 weeks. Was good fun!

We found out mid Decemebr and sent my mum and sisters a Christmas card from our unborn baby.

we had planned on keeping it a secret but after first blood test I had to tell my mum so I msn her a pic of my and then rang her and said go to your comp it took her a bit to work out what it was

We gave PIL a little present of a dummy!! They were suspicious already as we don't visit on a whim normally!

I couldn't stop myself from calling my DH and telling him immediately, and we were both stoked. As both sets of parents live far away, I called Interflora and got them to deliver a vase of flowers to mum's doorstep, with a card that read, "Dear Oma and Opa, I can't wait to meet you in September! Love, your grandchild." Mum was hysterical, it was hilarious. My DH has just called to let me know he's organised a similar one for his folks in QLD. Will get them tonight, then we'll hear from them too! Exciting.

We were planning on keeping quiet, but DH couldn't help himself. So at 7 weeks he rang my mum saying "what would you prefer to be called nanna or grandma"

I had this great idea that never actually came to.
    I wanted to photocopy my HPT that said positive and hand it to people.
    Is that weird????

When i took a HPT Dp was on the computer at the time. i wasnt really expecting it to come up positive but when it did i just walked out and placed the test in front of it and he just looked at me with this pale face and said "2 lines does that mean we are having twins" i couldnt help but laugh, once i had explain that no it just mean i was pg the colour came back to his face.

With our family i just walked up to my mum and said i have somethign to tell you and before i could say anything she said "your pregnant arent you" it was a bit of a shock at first but after about 5 mins she was happy as larry and rang all my family in adelaide to let them know.

With DP's family DP walked up to his mum and said what would you rather be called nanna or grandma, she nearly fell over but was very excited.

We told our close friends after our parents and everyone else just found out as time has gone by.