: How Did You Feel About The Gender Of Your Baby (2012 poll)

• I was/am very happy to have either gender

40 44.94%
  • I had/am having a girl but would have liked a boy

4 4.49%
  • I had/am having a boy but would have liked a girl

7 7.87%
  • I had/am having a girl but I really want a boy

2 2.25%
  • I had/am having a boy but I really want a girl

3 3.37%
  • I had/am having a surprise but hoping for a girl

4 4.49%
  • I had/am having a surprise but hoping for a boy

1 1.12%
  • I am having/had a girl and really wanted a girl

21 23.60%
  • I am having/had a boy and really wanted a boy

7 7.87%

thread: How do you feel about the gender of your baby?

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

How do you feel about the gender of your baby?

*** Please only vote if you're currently or recently pregnant! This poll is to compare results from a past poll and I am looking for recent figures ***

Following on from a poll we ran years ago, there has been a trend noted overseas where people are experiencing more gender disappointment wanting a girl over a boy. I've been contacted by a newspaper to investigate if the same thing has been happening here in Australia, so I would love to hear your thoughts on why you think this might be, if it was true for you and any methods you're using/used or investigating for swaying.

All comments and votes are completely anonymous, will be very interesting to compare, as the old poll definitely showed that those who were disappointed in the gender of their baby had a preference for girls over boys.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Nov 2011
    Perth

There's no poll applicable to me..

A surprise, have a feeling it's a boy but am happy with either so as long as he or she is healthy

Aug 2009
    Ipswich, Queensland

hehe mine is also still a surprise atm. but voted that we don't mind either way

Feb 2012
    Tasmania

there isn't an option for me either, I am having a girl and I really would have preferred a girl!

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Happy to have either!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

I wanted to duplicate the other poll, but will add in options for those having a surprise who want a particular gender.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

Mar 2009

No option relates to my 2012 baby. Had a girl, preffered a girl. That was mostly because I already had a girl and wanted the same gender. If I had had a boy first I would have been more keen on another boy lol.

Feb 2008

How about:
    I am having/had a boy and really wanted a boy
    I am having/had a girl and really wanted a girl

It is a bit different to "happy with either gender" as it is about wanting one gender in particular without the disappointment. I know that you are looking for disappointment specifically but if I were pregnant, I might not be able to find an answer in the above poll that is appropriate for my situation with the above choices.

ETA: I was a little slow here, missed the above responses while I was typing

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Sep 2011

Yeah, I had a girl and wanted a girl. Not sure if the poll had the correct listing? It repeats itself with the options?

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

This poll wont apply to everyone, trying to get a comparison of preference where there is disappointment with boys vs girls.
    Kelly xx

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

How recently recent do you want? Is 5 months too long ago?

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

I'm trying to copy a duplicate of the older poll for consistency and don't want to make it too long and complicated... also if you found out you had a girl and wanted a girl then there would be no disappointment? I'll add it in anyway, the journalist can sort it all out I am sure.

I think the last 12 months should be fine Kim.
    Kelly xx

Jun 2007
    Brisbane

I ticked "having a boy but would have liked a girl" - for me the emphasis was on "would have liked" because with two boys already, it "would" have been nice to have a little girl. But having said that, I'm not experiencing gender disappointment. Far from it. A girl would have been nice, but another boy is a gift. Honestly, I'm just VERY happy (a) to be having another baby and (b) that bub is healthy.

Oct 2008
    Victoria

I had my second boy 7 months ago and I was very happy to be having another son.

Nov 2008
    Melbourne

I had my second boy 12mths ago and was quite upset. I love my little boys, don't get me wrong but would have really loved a little girl.

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

I am having a girl - I already have a 3yo boy. While I am totally delighted to be having a little girl, after struggling to conceive and using IVF/ICSI for both babies I can honestly say that I would have been delighted with either, as even having children and being a Mum wasn't guaranteed for me - it certainly put the gender preference issue into perspective for me.

Nov 2010
    Cairns

For me I was terrified of having another girl. After DD4 died and we decided to TTC again I thought it wouldn't bother me but it did. I'm so glad I'm having a boy, it will be easier for me to cope with the newborn stage (I think) given he won't be so much like Sophie (wearing her clothes etc).

Add CKJ on Facebook

Dec 2011
    Central Coast NSW

For me I was happy to have either sex, although I was shocked to find out I was having a boy (I thought girl due to cravings etc)

DD was more upset as she wanted a sister and was adamant that if a boy it had to go back, but now she is happy with her little brothers impending arrival.