Thread: How do you find a good maternity bra?

Default How do you find a good maternity bra?

My bras are getting quite uncomfortable because I think I'm wider now. I figure I should just go get a couple maternity bras since my current ones are underwire. I am very small chested so I only need limited support. I'm guessing about a 36 B would be good for where I am now. I want something that makes my BBs look round and normally shaped, something which will last at least 6 months, and is very inexpensive. Since I'm from the US, I don't know where to start looking. Any suggestions? Give me an idea on prices too b/c we don't have much money. I'll be back in the US in April and can buy them for much cheaper there. Thanks.

blackjellybean Guest

I think I've bought nearly every maternity bra there is an attempt to find one that looks good, is comfortable and washes and wears well!

For me I found that the Elle McPherson maternity bra the best - a bit pricey around $55 but worth every cent! Good luck I'm sure you can get them in the States too - and it should be cheaper there as well!

I found one today at Bra's and Things that is shaped/padded which I find great as I don't like the shape of my boobs so this one keeps them in the right place and the right shape. It was $50 but you might be able to find the same thing in target for cheaper.

Kells, your breasts can increase when your milk comes in, so just get measured up now and buy a non-underwired teen trainer bra. I'm tiny too, now a 34B, and the training bras are dead comfy! I never had one as a teen (never needed one) and now I either wear these or go without.

Get just two and wash them a lot - maternity bras are expensive and it's too much money to spend if you're going to grow again. I'm still growing and adjusting my new bras, so may well have to get larger maternity ones; I'd hate to spend 50 on a bra and then it not fit for breastfeeding!

I got mine from Best & Less for around $20 each. I don't remember what brand they were, but they are like the normal t-shirt bras you can get. They have slight padding, no wires & come in pink black or white. The back can either be plain or with lace.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_H View Post
    I got mine from Best & Less for around $20 each. I don't remember what brand they were, but they are like the normal t-shirt bras you can get. They have slight padding, no wires & come in pink black or white. The back can either be plain or with lace.
    I have these too! I have 3 of them. Um Slim fit or something like that they are called. There in Big W as well. Actually I noticed Bonds have one the same in Big W too. The bonds one looks a better make actually.

Fire Fly Guest

I went for support on the shoulders as this is wear all your weight goes. I found Berlie bras to be great. I bought them with dd nearly 4 years ago and its only now i need new ones. Sooner than i think.
    There not cheap though, but what price do you put on good support i reackon.

I don't really like the berlie ones. I found them to be a small fit (there sizes smaller then most) But I only have 2 differnt designs. I like 1 of them which a more a crop top style but I don't really like my lacey ones.

Fire Fly Guest

They seem to be the only ones that have good shoulder support though. Makes it hard when the other companys dont think outside the square.

Definitely go to a major shop to get fitted properly - i went to david jones - i did buy a maternity bra from there for $40, but it so absolutely comfotable. They fit you so that there is room to grow. I then went to target because they had 40% off and got another one for $18 (normally $30). Then i picked up two triumph ones from the expo which was a great bargain. I can't stand to wear my underwires anymore! So..get fitted then shop around for a bargain - i've heard dimmy's has some cheap bras too (haven't been there though). Good luck.

I went to Myer and bought a Bonds maternity bra. The one I got is normally $36 I think, but Myer have a sale at the moment and I got mine for $27. I find this bra really comfortable, so I thought the $27 was well worth it. They have black, white and that beige colour and are slightly padded - enough to not let your nipples show a lot, lol.

c.leanne Guest

I had to go and search out a new bra yesterday, but unfortunately didn't go and have a fiting, was too scared was going to end up with an $80 maternity bra! I'm only 8 weeks along, and first bra shop bought a cheapy plain black bra for about $20, but I think its too small as a 12C- I was a 12B 8-10 weeks ago, but (thannks to the second bra shop) I'm now the proud owner of the ugliest bra in the known universe- which is a 12D- no wonder the bras and things manager only charged me 10 bucks. But I didn't try a shirt over the top of it, so didn't realise apart from being drop dead daggy, it seems to come right up my chest and couldn't wear much other than a skivvy over it! So am sitting here in old bra, with my 'cup brimeth over' and hoping I don't continue to grow 2 cups sizes every 2 months (I'm only short, I'll look like dolly Parton!) LOL!
    Last edited by c.leanne; October 22nd, 2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typing in dark causes typos

lol Leanne, I agree that amternity bras are so ugly. Mine is not the most prettiest thing either, but the one I got doesnt come up too high in the middle. Its higher than normal bras, but I can still wear someof my V neck tops with it, just not the really low V neck ones.
    I also read somewhere that your boobs dont grow much at all in the second half of pregnancy, except for when baby is born and your milk comes in. Maybe someone else could give better advice on that though as its not something I have actually experienced before lol.

Definitly worth while getting fitted. I went to Bras n Things and Myers and they are OK there.

If you are a B cup, you could also get away with a stretchy lycra top with a shelf bra in it. I wore these quite alot last time, and by the end of the pregnancy I was a 16DD.

As for the nice shape in an underwire bra..... well with hooters like mine thats a misnomer!! No such thing I'm afraid, but I agree with one of the other girls that my Elle McPherson crop top type bra was the best for shape.

Oh yeah I forgot about the Elle McPherson Bra, I have one of them too. I like it! When it fit too small now, but it was from Evan.

Hey thanks everyone. I went to Bras 'n Things and got fitted. I was totally shocked when they wanted to put me in a C cup because my BBs were almost non-existent before I got pregnant. I think the cup sizes might run smaller here in Australia though. They only had 3 bras in my size and none of them fit expecially well and were $40 each. So I went to Target and found a pretty good one for $27. I also grabbed a very comfortable sports bra for $8 and and set of 2 training bras for $20 which are low-cut enough to wear with all my shirts. I am very happy with my purchases. I think I'll be able to use all of them in breastfeeding too. I'm glad I got fitted first because I knew what to look for when I got to Target. I never would've guessed C cup. I feel like a woman!