Thread: How long does it take internal tears to heal?

Default How long does it take internal tears to heal?

Hi,

I had a slight incident this morning... Was using an epi-no birth trainer (for the second time) in an effort to reduce the risk of tearing or needing an episiotomy, and although it didn't hurt when it was inside me, when i pushed it out according to the instructions, i thought that it hurt like i was tearing apart, and boy, i hope labour isn't this bad

But i was right, cos i went the the toilet straight away and there was blood all over the tissues and toilet seat etc... Called my obs, who said not to worry, i've probably just torn a bit of my vagina, and it can happen during birth etc...

Anyway, only bleeding a little bit now, but as i'm due VERY soon, i'm a little worried it wont heal in time and i'll tear really badly now...

Does anyone know how long will it take for this to heal so i don't have to worry???

Thanks,

Yael

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Yael, how many times a day were you using it? You must use it no more than the instructions suggest, as overstretching the perineum can result in issues later in life.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Hi Yael

This question is difficult to answer. We all heal at different rates. This depends on age, lifestyle, ethnicity, and a few medical conditions. Fortunately you have a very good blood supply in your vagina, which will help you to heal. However it can take several weeks for a wound to heal. Even though there may have been a lot of blood from this injury, the tear may be quite small and not cause you too much problem during birth. The location of the tear is also something to consider.
    You do not say when your baby is due but from your post I guess it is within the next 3 weeks or so. If this is the case I would expect you to tear. This does not mean that you will, nor does it mean that if you tear it is going to be very bad. In fact if you do tear during birth the tear may be no larger then the tear you have now.

I hope this answers your question and perhaps helps you not to worry too much.

Hey Alan,

Thanks for the reply! I'm just trying to be optimistic, and i guess whatever will be will be... I'm due in 2 days, so it's only a maximum of 16 days i guess before i have this baby, one way or another...

I'm trying to keep in mind that normally it looks like a lot more blood than it really is, so i'm just telling myself it was probably a small tear, and hopefully won't tear to much more..

I'm seeing my obs on Friday, so hopefully he'll have a look and let me know what's going on!

Yael

Hi Yael

I got my fingers crossed for you

A few tips when giving birth to help reducing tearing

DO NOT lie flat on your back ( many OB's and even some Midwives will try to encourage you to do this). Personally I think that the bed should be removed from the labour ward.

Hands and knees is a good position, so is standing or squatting.

Also try doing a google for birth positions.

Chech this site. I'm sure kelly would have something on this subject.

Alan, I am supporting Yael for her birth so I will be sure she's not flat on her back
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!

Yael, have this reply for you:

Dear Kelly,

I have just been sent the email you sent from your client regarding EPI-NO. I have also seen the comment from a midwife who answered your query.

You have not provided sufficient information for a response to this woman's query however from what has been provided:

a. The second time she has used EPI-NO
    b. She was pushing out the balloon.

the woman was not following instructions in the correct use of EPI-NO.
    It would not be possible to push out the balloon with the amount of dilatation possible after the second use. The balloon is inflated to the level of personal comfort and the woman will experience a slight burning sensation at which point she would cease dilatation.
    This is controlled by the woman. Your client should not recommence training with EPI-NO unless instructed to by her obstetrician as her problem may be the result of an underlying condition.

Perhaps you could request from the midwife who made that comment, clinical evidence to support it. We work in an evidence based medical environment, and all evidence of which we are aware supports the contrary view. A new EPI-NO Clinical Trial will commence in January through Sydney University to show the effect of EPI-NO on the Pelvic Floor following childbirth.

Please make you client aware that EPI-NO is also a pelvic floor training device which can be used 4-6 weeks after delivery to strengthen the Pelvic Floor.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely

Campbell Heather
    Tecsana Limited.
    Kelly xx

~Sarah~ Guest

Alan.... couldn't she just ask for a local when she is crowning....would a local do anything to help with the streching/burning you get when crowning?

Hey Kel,

Then i think their instructions are very unclear, cos i went through it with DH before i started, and thats what we both thought it was instructing us to do...

Maybe i'll give it a re-read.. Seeing the obs tomorrow, i'll get him to check it out.. He said just to leave it a few days and then see how i'm feeling...

I'm getting the impression it wasn't so bad.. no pain or bleeding or anything, and no pain even straight after it happened..

Anyway, not much i can do now i guess...

Yael

Oh, i forgot to add, i did stop inflating the baloon thing as soon as i felt a slight stonging sensation... left it there for 10 mins like the instructions said, and then pushed it out...

Thats pretty much what the instructions say to do - no??

I'm so confused now! What do they mean??
    It would not be possible to push out the balloon with the amount of dilatation possible after the second use. The balloon is inflated to the level of personal comfort and the woman will experience a slight burning sensation at which point she would cease dilatation.

Hi Sarah

To give a local that would stop the burning pain you would have to give somewhere between 10 or 12 injections and possably more. These injections are very painful for a few seconds. When the baby is crowning the peri is very thin and there is a chance that the injection could be given into the baby's head by mistake.
    I dint think that anyone would be willing to do this sort of thing

~Sarah~ Guest

Thanks Alan...Bummer....there's never an easy way out!