Thread: I have a Dilemma..

kizzy Guest

Default I have a Dilemma..

I applied for a job three months ago and I didn't get the job. Anyway they just rang me and want me to come in for an interview for another job.

So my dilemma is - when do I tell them that I'm pregnant??

angelfish Guest

Is the job a permanent one, or a temp one? Are you intending to resume working shortly after little munchkin arrives or do you plan to have an extended time at home? When I was pregnant with #1 I said I was only available until a certain date, as I knew I wasn't going back to work any time soon and didn't think it was fair to take ongoing work and then let them down. But on the other hand, if you are able and willing to do the job you don't want them discriminating against you. And you don't have to tell them you are pregnant. I'd probably do the interview and then mention it if they contact you to negotiate pay and conditions. But it really depends on your circumstances.

I am fairly sure there is no legal requirement for you to tell them. For me it would depend if the job is permanent or not. If it is a casual or temporary job I would do the interview and not tell them until after the 12 week mark, or until I start showing. If it is a permanent job that is a bit different as it might not be fair to take the job and then tell them later on that in a few months you will need maternity leave. But then if they like you and want to keep you on then they will be accommodating, and they can't fire you for being pregnant or taking maternity leave. You could always take the job and when it comes time to tell them about the pregnancy, just don't let on that you knew before you took the job, that you only found out after.

Kirsty, I know the dilemma!! I had applied for a couple of permanent positions for when my contract finished in June and then I found out I was pregnant! With temp positions I have told them so they understand why I was only interested in temp/casual when they asked why and they were fine with it.

My friend also just started a new job not long ago and about 2 weeks after starting found out she was pregnant (approx. 8 wks) and they've been fine as she said she didn't know before. So like Bon said you could take that approach? Or if you feel comfortable in the interview let them know then but that you still want to take the job.

kizzy Guest

It is a permant position and I REALLY want to work for this company. If it was anyone else I wouldn't bother as I am already employed full time.

I have always planned on returning to work once bubs is about 4 months old as we really cant afford for me not to be working.

I guess I'll see how it goes at the interview.

Kirsty, I think go with your feelings on it. If you get the feeling you can be completely honest and up front with them, then do that... For example, let them know how much you want to be involved with that company and that you've only just found out you're pg but your plan is to return to work after approx. 4 months. If you aren't getting the feeling then maybe say nothing? Me personally, have always said something up front in the interview...like in regards to my son there's been a couple of times where I've had holidays planned and just told them and if they really like you they will accomodate it and I didn't have a problem. I take the approach of "There is one other thing I'd like to discuss as I like to be open and honest and have a two way street...." and then whatever it is. Have I confused you or does that make sense? lol.

Ps...if you don't mind me asking...where abouts in Brissy are you? I'm in Brissy too...!!

Hello, I'll have to be the dissenting voice here, I would sit the interview without prejudicing their response by talking about pregnancy. Compete on an even playing field. If you're successful you can then tell them (if you think you must) before you accept the position, which is where the EEO policies of the employer will come into play. For many companies, the difference between having a year's service before taking Mat Leave or not having a year's service, is whether they give you any paid leave. You are still entitled to unpaid leave either way. Most companies have their employment conditions/EBAs available on their websites so you can read up beforehand on what their policy is.

Be very clear about this: they can't not hire you because you're pregnant - that's Discrimination. Check out his link: http://www.hreoc.gov.au/sex_discrimi...pregnancy.html

I wish you the best of luck with it!

kizzy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ozziehoffy View Post

Ps...if you don't mind me asking...where abouts in Brissy are you? I'm in Brissy too...!!
    I live in Creastmead (Southside of Brisbane) and at the moment I work at Archerfield - hopefully that will change and I'll be working at Roma St.

Where are you?

Currently in Banyo (northside), but we will be moving still on the northside though. Are you able to say who the company is that the interview is with?

Yeh i dont think you have to tell them but you may not be entitled to maternity leave as you wouldnt have been there 12 months when bubs is born..