Thread: Induction looming - clary sage?

Unhappy Induction looming - clary sage?

I will be 41 wks tomorrow, EDD was 22/10/07

I have an appt with my ob in the morning and he will do another s&s to see if he can get things moving. If not, we will discuss an induction date, probably towards the end of the week.

He knows I want to avoid being induced unless it is medically necessary but to be honest, I am that uncomfortable, exhausted, and in pain that I don't know if I can stick it out to 42 weeks. He has agreed to leave it till the end of the week (assuming that baby and I remain well), so I'll be about 41+5.

So basically, I'm getting a bit desperate and was wondering if anyone has had success with clary sage oil? I saw some in the chemist yesterday and if we don't have any luck tomorrow I was going to go back and get some.

Also, does anyone know if you can use olive oil as a carrier oil?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Awwwww hon I know how you feel - can you go and get a nice massage for those aches and pains? You are sooooo close now, chances are your baby will come before then... do you think you can hang in there just a little longer? You are sooooooo close!!! It's so hard when you are so tired and exahusted at the end, unfortunately we don't know exactly when baby is going to arrive, but it could be any day or even minute now!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I'm trying Kelly, I'm trying!!

I can definitely hang out for another few days but I just have this really bad feeling bub isn't going to come on it's own this time

Ob has been fantastic and is not suggesting induction till Fri/Sat at the earliest but I'm just starting to feel like bub will not come before then. I am also finding that the further along I get, the more anxious I am becoming about bub's well being.

I will see what he says tomorrow and go from there I guess.

I know bub will come when s/he's ready but I'm just sooooo tired...

One thing you can try is a chiro in your area, check out the Gonstead website, and they can check that your pelvis and bub is in alignment for birth. If there is misalignment or bub is posterior, labour can be delayed, slow or spurious.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

I know a chiro nearish to you if you need one Hang in there!!

according to my aromatherapy book, the best carrier oils are:
    apricot kernal oil
    avacado oil ( avail in supermarket)
    camellia oil
    evening primrose oil
    grapeseed oil ( i think you can get that in the supermarket as well)
    hazelnut oil
    jojoba oil
    macadamia nut oil ( supermarket)
    rosehip seed oil
    sweet almond oil
    wheatgerm oil.

all of these oils are full of vitamins and are ok to use, but im not sure about the clary sage. as alot of books contradict each other.

good luck with your delivery, whichever way your bub decides to make its grand entrance into the world

Hey Willow

clary sage is a uterine tonic...so is useful when you are in labor to help promote strong and regular contractions...olive oil is a bit too thick as a carrier oil (but still ok), almond oil is great as it is also a naturally warming oil and a little lighter in consistency

hang in there hun...I know its hard right at the end (waiting and so uncomfortable), but use this time to really pamper yourself...maybe a pedicure or a lovely massage...endorphins are great for helping increasing oxytocin levels to help kick start contractions

reflexology can also help kickstart labor

your baby will come before you know it you will be holding your beautiful baby in your arms and nothing else will matter

I look forward to hearing all about it

xx yogababy

As a massage student, i would suggest sweet almond oil as your carrier oil, it is a light oil that will absorb in pretty well.

I would only use olive if you have a NUT ALLERGY (this is very important, don't use any nut derivative if you have an allergy!), or you have nothing else left in the house.

You can normally buy sweet almond oil (i don't recommend the water dispersable one, as they put chemicals in it to get it this way), at health food shops or online, but that might not be quick enough for you.

My friend Tracey who is the health person on here said she doesn't use clary sage on pregnant women, I will have to chat to her again about it but she said something about bleeding after birth due to the uterine action. No-one panic - will ask her more! She is an aromatherapist amongst other things.
    Kelly xx

Thanks Kel, I've decided to give it a miss anyway, had another internal this morning and cervix is still not favourable

No point pushing my body to do things it doesn't want to when bub is clearly not ready.