Thread: Iron transfusion

Default Iron transfusion

Has anyone had/needed one whilst pg? Did it work? How did you feel before and after? What were your levels before and after? Tell me everything about it!!
    Tia

Default Re: Iron transfusion

A woman I work with just had one last weekend as her iron level was 3, and it is supposed to be 20 she said. On monday she still felt really tired and she said that it could be a week before she starts to feel any better from it, but it's likely that she will need another one. She looked a lot better today though when I saw her. I know it's not personal experience though sorry.

I had one post delivery though as had post parting haemorrhage. I believe my iron was low during the third trimester but my dr wasn't too concerned. It took about 5hrs to go through. It didn't hurt at all. My levels jumped very quickly but then dwindled down again after a few weeks. I did lose 1/3 of my blood though so it's a different situation than you. If you have any other questions about it just ask.

I had one postpartum also. I had low iron, which was borderline even with taking iron through out my pregnancy. But I also hemorrhaged badly after birth as well. I had three units of blood, and later had iron too. It didn't hurt per se, it felt strange, pretty similar to getting a blood transfusion. It helped me slowly feel better and after a week or so I felt almost energetic! But I also had to continue with getting iron shots afterwards because my levels continued to be quite low. I had those every week for 6 months, and they hurt like hell!! I still had bruises on my butt for months after having them, and the spots they went into my muscles were still tender for a long time after too.
    It was 15 years ago now (after having my first angel), so I can't remember any of my numbers, but I do remember feeling quite energetic after having it after a week or so, though I think that might have been a combination of not being pregnant anymore, as well as having had a blood transfusion and iron.

My dr has suggested it, but i only had my hb tested...no idea what my actual iron levels are but my hb is now 94...was 107 a few months ago and i am on iron supps...
    My concern is i had a pph with the birth of my daughter, lost 1.8L and my hb droped to 79 post birth....i didnt have a blood tf because i wanted to avoid it and my hb did go up to 83 the next day. But i was very symptomatic. Im not atm with it being 94... i just wonder if an iron infusion will help my hb levels or there is no point

What does your doc think?

I was told that low iron levels can make you more susceptible to pph.
    I have hemorrhaged 4 times out of 6 pregnancies, 3 requiring blood transfusions and taking iron for a long time afterwards to get my levels even into the lower ends of 'normal'.

IMO, I would get it, and if it works, it works and you will feel more energetic, if not , nothing has changed.

I have had many during my pregnancies.
    You won't have many if any symptoms. If its a slow decline as your body adjusts to the dropping levels.

I've had no issues with them & my levels have been very low & my hb has been in the 80-90s.
    My levels afterwards have been as high as 500-600 & my hb being 120+
    Usually by delivery they were still at 200ish which is good as I always had a PPH.

I had one during pregnancy at around 33 weeks. I have low heamoglobin due to a blood disorder but my actual iron levels were really low as well so I had one. Before I had it I felt really light headed, dizzy and weak. For me the infusion didn't do a lot for the dizziness as my low hb levels were not iron related but I defineyely helped with the weak feeling. I think I didn't notice a big difference till a week or two after the transfusion. PPH was a concern for my OB as well but I didn't have one. I would get full iron studies before considering anything as low iron is not the only cause of low hb