Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at baby stuff

Default Looking at baby stuff

Ok as a second timer I know I should know about this stuff but there is a lot of new stuff out there (or maybe it's just that we couldn't afford anything the first time around) So what I'm wondering is what are the things you found invaluble and why. I already have my Hug a bub sling, nappy bag and car seat. We are mainly confused about prams (we are looking at 3 wheelers), rockers and high chairs (not needed for a while obviously)

So pram (3 wheelers or not if you had problems)

what should we look for, any special things you found on your pram that you loved/hated.

Rockers (are they worth it? vibrating, music, ordinary?)

Any place I can online or otherwise that can help us out.

Thanks

Pram - We got a 3 wheeler, but don't jog, so probably would have been better off with a less bulky one. (Had some trouble at some checkout lines, getting through) Though i think some of the new 3 wheelers are a bit less bulky. Will spend a bit more on a 'flash' pram next time instead of the Target one we got. A friend of mine has one that you can take out the main 'capsule' bit and carry bubs or put facing you as you walk or facing away. (I think it's a 4 wheeler) She's pretty trendy & up to date & chose a 'chic' black one.

Bouncer/Rockers - We had an old fashioned bouncer & DD 'lived' in it for the first 6 months. At the time I wished I had a flash vibrating, swinging one, but now I'm thinking we'll stick to the old fashioned one, 'cause they are fantastic. The 'flash' ones are fantastic too though.

On high chairs - We spent a fortune on a flash, padded one with all the tricks, but DD hated it and loved Mum's plain, basic 2nd hand one, that only had minimal padding.

I'd like to try the Hug a Bub next time too.

Good luck!!!

Thanks, what was the brand of the stroller you got, if you don't mind me asking

We actually are waiting to get the pram until we get the $$ from the gov. There is a great place called pram warehouse that has online deals. We are looking at the Phil & Teds. We need one with a toddler attachment so want to wait. Until then we are just using the hug-a-bub. I haven't bought much at all actually thinking that we just need to get through a month & then see what we really need. Our high chair is a fisher price booster seat/high chair which attaches to a normal chair. We love it & if needed will get another one from kmart or target when 6months comes. Rockers are great but I'm all for the basic models of anything.

elizabetty Guest

We have a 3 wheeler pram that I bought to go walking as I was ruining my good 4 wheeler one (we have bush down the back to get to the walking track), its brilliant for this purpose. The only problem is it has an adjustable handle that moves when you put pressure on it so thats a real problem. I find when I want to go over gutters the handle bit falls down, otherwise its great. Its a steelcraft one, the cheapest one. I thought the adjustable handle would be good as DH is tall but no.
    Also make sure it fits in your boot. We have a commodore and it just fits height wise. This model doesn't come with a toddler seat though.
    Except for the handle I love it for walking.
    Tracy

Lol Sarah, I'm finding the same thing...my son is 13 so there's many years between and I'm just overwhelmed and my mind just can't take it all in!! I'm going for similar things I had with Joshua which I remember finding just wonderful...rocker, baby bjorn and a 4 wheel pram because I don't feel comfy with the 3 wheel ones. We're getting Steelcraft Transaction. I'm also getting an Amby Hammock this time (didn't even know about them with Joshua). Apart from that (and of course the obvious change table etc) I'll probably wait to see what I need until after bubs is born.

ps...I kinda tend to stick to a lot of basic types because...really does the baby know it's top of the line and is it really any better because there's some toys attached???

Hello, I agree - basic is best when it comes to things like rockers and highchairs. We had a little secondhand $10 rocker but it doesn't need the toy bar cos we also had a baby toy gym thing we could park the rocker under if we needed too. Recently a friend visited who had a big rocker with shade and toy bar, the toy bar didn't fold down and also, there was no bit to put your foot on to rock it while you are eating tea (!!!!) What's the point of that?

We will however be getting a different pram this time, mostly because DH is in love with the thought of the jogging variety. I'll prob still keep the original one in my car because I'm tall and it has a taller handle but also because you can swap it so the baby is facing towards you. It's just an el cheapo Babyco variety, and the only thing it really needs is a drink holder, but you can get those foldup clipon ones now that they didn't have back then!!
    :-)

Hi,

Im not a fan of the 3 wheeler prams, i have seen them almost topple over before and that worried me alot.

I have the Bertini Shuttle, i love it, its wheels can be a bit wide so you have to go through the wide aisle but that doesnt bother me. I say spend the money on a good pram.

Bouncers- You NEED one of these. It doesnt matter whether its fancy or not, they all do the same thing.

High chairs- Like a pram, spend the money on a good quality one. We have a Chicco Mama and its still going strong like new after 6 1/2 yrs and 4 kids, about to go through the 5th.

First timer here who is completely lost and have no idea what i need to buy for our baby. Obviously a cot, pram and car seat. Now a bouncer on the recommendations from here but what about a change table bath combo? Do i need a change table? What other recommendations do you guys have??? Oh God please help me.

Hi Nurse Dan!

We bought a change table that was also a chest of drawers underneath. The chest of drawers came in handy, but the change table didn't!! We always changed her on our bed!!

We just used one of those plastic baths for the first few months and then just bathed her laying down in shallow water in our bath tub. You can get those plastic moulded or sling type bath aids too.

Saram, did you want to know the brand of the pram I had or the one my friend has? Mine was just a Target brand & I don't know my friends brand, but I can find out if you like?
    Last edited by Mrs Jak; October 28th, 2006 at 11:22 PM.

Cool

Also a first-timer here, and we wandered into BabyCo for the first time on Friday night.

Questions we were asking -

* What's the difference between a cot and the smaller baby sleep things that rock?
    * Do we need one of those portacot thingys? (Saw a really cool "jeep" one that had a cover, light, music, change table, accessories bag, bassinett, all-terrain wheels, mosquito netting, weather-resistant (+rain) guards - I think it was the Sahara Limited XT Travel Playard)

*sighs* It's all so confusing!

I think it really depends on you with the portacot situation, do you plan to go out at night to friends houses? If they don't have children a portacot is helpful, but if your child is quiet they generally can go on a bed with pillows buffering the sides...do you go for weekends away and plan on continuing? Then you need a portacot. I don't know about the ones that have everything with them... if you do heaps of camping type trips that sounds fantastic, although whenever we have camped Matilda has slept inbetween us.

I found the change table to be good for 4 months, other people swear by them. I'm going to go & dig up a thread used in the general baby discussion where Mum's have talked about what they used and didn't use.

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=20380
    Last edited by christy; October 29th, 2006 at 09:41 AM.

Christy that would be very helpful. Thank you.

Just wanted to add that we got a fancy rocker that vibrated and had all the bells and whistles and Hendrix absolutely hated it! We then got one of those old fashioned $30 ones with the elastic netting and he lived in it! You really learn that these little gems are so individual from the beginning and so some things really are wasted. Hopefully this next one likes the wizz bang rocker so at least it gets a bit of use

I was given a bouncer (looks exactly like what I had as a baby 32 years ago) and went to bring it out to use and noticed that it said for babies over 5 months. Do you reckon they're just really covering themselves, 'cause it seems a bit of a waste to wait that long to use it.

Cool

Thanks Christie.

I've also learnt I don't know what things are called

What's the difference between a cradle, a bassinett and a cot?

Personally I love the change table - it's one with two shelves under so everything I could possibly need when changing bub or toddler is right there. We used to wheel it into the bathroom when bathing Jack so that everything was on hand, but with Thomas I just take the towel into the bathroom and wrap him then carry him to the change table.

Someone I know had the combo change table and bath and said it was useless. We just borrowed a baby bath from a friend both times. We didn't use it for long with Jack as he grew out of it quickly and Tom looks like doing the same thing. So don't spend too much money.

I think slings are invaluable but personally love having the pram as well - each have their use. We have the Phil & Teds (and now have the toddler seat for it too) and I absolutely love it. It is such a good design and so robust.

I think an old fashioned bouncer is as good as a fancy rocker too.

We borrowed a bassinet each time and I like this as you can have bub in the same room as you (I can wheel it around). But again, it doesn't last long before you need the cot so I wouldn't have spent the money to buy one, unless I could get a good cheap second hand one (but I would still buy my own matress).

You do need a high chair, but we are now needing a booster seat for Jack so if can get one of those from the beginning like it sounds like Christy did, then that might be a better option. Other than that you don't need much. One thing I strongly recommend is cloth nappies for using as cloths for feeding, cleaning up vomits etc. This was the best investment of the lot!!

LOL I think a basinette is more fixed and a cradle rocks... thats the only difference I know. A cot is larger... heaps of babies go straight into cots. We got a hammock for this one because of sleep issues we had with our first, so we have an Amby hammock instead of a bassinette or cradle.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...hings-for-baby This is an article on the main site about top 5 things for babies and there is another one in the same section that is the 3 least used things HTH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast