Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maccas ice crem etc

Question maccas ice crem etc

was wondering why ur not supposed to eat it??? is it just this ice cream or all ice creams????

You're not supposed to eat any soft serve during pregnancy - due to the bacteria that can remain in the soft-serve machines, which can cause Listeria.
    Normal tub ice cream is fine

hi *Noni*e*

they say not to eat soft serve ice cream because if the equipment is not maintained and kept clean, there is a risk that the ice cream could contain salmonella and other bacteria. But ice cream in a tub from the supermarket is fine.

Blanche

TeganRheana Guest

Quote Originally Posted by *Blanchie* View Post
    hi *Noni*e*

they say not to eat soft serve ice cream because if the equipment is not maintained and kept clean, there is a risk that the ice cream could contain salmonella and other bacteria. But ice cream in a tub from the supermarket is fine.

Blanche
    Completely agree. I occasionally will still have a soft serve from maccas - only because i firgure they must clean it a lot or they're in trouble....but i wouldnt have soft serve from wendy's or an icecream truck....if you can stick to the tub icecream its better, but dont be too concerned if you "slip up" occasionally.

thanx guys i'm not huge on soft serve anyway mostly like it from a tub or on a stick whatevers just wanted to make sure that stuff would still be fine

i soooo didnt know this when i was pg... and i used to eat macca's sundaes alllll the time..... my DD tured out ok tho!

Is it the same with their thickshakes?? A no no?

TeganRheana Guest

yes same with thickshakes from maccas...cause they have the soft serve in them. there are sooooooooooo many things that you could get listeria from...just eat in moderation n you will be fine I read a thing today saying that listeria is actually really uncommon it affect like 1:20000 people or something.

As long as the thickshake has ice cream from a tub not a soft serve machine it's fine. I used o drive my friends crazy with my milk cravings cos we'd go out & I'd ask what sort of ice cream they put in the thickshake LOL!

listeria is apparently very rare. So, maybe a treat if you really have to. Melt abit of creamy vanilla ice cream - tastes very similar.
    Apparently the prob with soft serve machines, or any type of drink machine where they pour liquid straight from it (like ice slushys etc i guess) is that they dont wait till it is empty and clean it out, they just keep retopping it, so there is always old stock mixed with new stuff.
    Please anyone, correct me if i am wrong, but, thats what i have been told.

Muffin break make milkshakes, thick shakes and ice coffe/cho from tub ice cream. Discoverd that on the weekend

Mum2bee, they *should* be cleaned out regularly, the issue is that sometimes they are not cleaned as thoroughly as they should be.

Susan-Marie Guest

For the record,
    I used to work at Macdonalds and we cleaned out the soft serve and thick-shake (it is basically the same machine) once a day at night time. It is sterilised properly at night, but during the day we did just 'top it up' because it takes about half an hour to an hour to clean and during the day you can't do without the business for that whole time.

Also not sure if the mix was pasturised or not, although i'd presume it would be. It is stored at 4 degrees, however that is in a cold room not a fridge so the temperature could vary a bit, also the machine is cooled, but may not remain below 4 degrees (when you take the lid off etc). Also I think I read that soft-serve was actually the most common way to consume listeria, although yes it is very rare.
    Hope this helps,
    Suze

so slushies are a no?????

oh yeah and Frozen Coke/Raspberry drinks from maccas or the movies? my fav

The only other thing I would add is try to avoid homemade icecream, sometimes it is made from whole raw egg. Other than that, I am with the other gals, tuck into as much tub icecream as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan-Marie View Post
    For the record,
    I used to work at Macdonalds and we cleaned out the soft serve and thick-shake (it is basically the same machine) once a day at night time. It is sterilised properly at night, but during the day we did just 'top it up' because it takes about half an hour to an hour to clean and during the day you can't do without the business for that whole time.

Also not sure if the mix was pasturised or not, although i'd presume it would be. It is stored at 4 degrees, however that is in a cold room not a fridge so the temperature could vary a bit, also the machine is cooled, but may not remain below 4 degrees (when you take the lid off etc). Also I think I read that soft-serve was actually the most common way to consume listeria, although yes it is very rare.
    Hope this helps,
    Suze
    Oh thanks - if i ever feel i cant resist the urge - will feel more secure

so raw egg isn't good either?

I am an ex maccas mc manager, adn used to be in charge of cleaning and maintanence of the machines!!!
    I just wrote a masive explination about maccas soft serves and shakes, but it has mysteriously disappeared.
    I can't be bothered doing it again at the mo, but if anyone wants to ask some q's i'm more than happy to answer!
    Let's just say, maccas hygeine is extremely stringent!!
    I would eat soft serves from there all day ( well not ALL day) and have absolutley no worries about it!
    that machine is probably cleaner than anybody here!!!! ( thats not meant to be negetive toward anyone!!! )
    cheers!
    Nicky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast