Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mangoes during pregnancy...?

Question Mangoes during pregnancy...?

Just a quick question... I heard that I can't eat mangoes during pregnancy, as they can cause miscarriage. But I so want a banana, mango and orange smoothie!

Does anyone know for sure?

I had loooooots of mangoes when i was preg with DD1...and she is here with us today.
    I also had them (but not as many) with DD2

ETA: Mangoes are recommended for Vitamin A

ETA2: Mangoes can be eaten through out pregnancy. It will not cause any harm.
    Last edited by visitor1; February 1st, 2008 at 11:00 AM.

You beauty!!!!!!

Guess what I'm getting when we go grocery shopping!!!!!!! Thanks Kim!

I've never heard that one but I did eat oodles of mangoes when I was pregnant with Imran.

i ate them with DD and she was perfect!!

i have never heard of this!! its bad enough they take cheese from us now this! OMG no more pregnancies for me!! LOL LOL LOL LOL!!

wow i have never heard of that at all . i have eaten heaps this preg ..

do you know why it could cause misscarrige??

I have a feeling its got to do with chinese medicine ... its too yin I believe they say (my dad is big on chinese medicine and I think my mum told me not to eat them)... but I was just wondering if there was any truth to it...

I know the skins are toxic to eat esspecially when pregnant, just wondering if the flash was too!

I LOVE mangos and I wish I could eat them. I have (in the last 2 years) developed a very nasty allergy to them and now can't even have one touch my lips *sigh*.....

I did read on a site that said not to eat papaya or mango because it contains enzymes used terminate pregnanciesacross the world BUT was proven to be a myth!

Sounds like a load of bunk to me. I think the whole fresh pineapple causing contractions thing is, too. I've eaten heaps of both and I'm fine and healthy, so is Rabbit. Heh, maybe even thanks to all the fresh fruit...

I've been having 2-3 a week, it cant be that bad coz when I had my U/S yesterday they said everything was perfect.

it may have some thing to do with vitamin A as i heard you should not take large amounts of this vitamin i had to change multivitamins when finding this info out. maybe thats why they say be weary dunno never heard of not eating mango's mind you never knew mango's had vitamin A in them so i will be avoiding them just in case.

I think the vitamin A is just avoiding supplements with vitamin A and avoiding meat products high in vit. A like liver ... thats what my GP said... that fruits and vege with vit. A are ok...?

oh o.k coolies

Yikes I was scared for a min cause ive been having them pretty much daily..

Yum mango magic boost juices!!! There was a thread somewhere (heee) and not long ago, about how boost juices could be bad especially with mango because of the vitamin a, but i remember reading that they were ok and it was only when they added vit a supplements to it that it would be bad.
    Yum enjoy

This is what I found:

Although a fully ripe mango is not considered dangerous, a mango that is at all unripe contains a latex substance that triggers uterine contractions and may cause a miscarriage.
    And then this:

Mango is found to have many more vital minerals that are vital for pregnant mothers and stressed out people. The calcium and magnesium of the mango relaxes the muscles, relieves stress and prevents miscarriage.
    So which one do you believe???? It seems as though as long as it's properly ripened then you should be fine.

andreawee Guest

I have been eating heaps of mangoes! Didn't know they will cause miscarriage though I heard more about pineapples...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast