Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music during Birth

Smile Music during Birth

HI,

I was wondering what music you listened to / are intending to listen to during the birth of your child.

Did you find anything particularly helpful?

Got a new iMac on the weekend (woo hoo ) and am starting to load a few CD's onto itunes...
    I am thinking more of the New Age type of music, but would welcome any suggestions that you have

Thanks in advance

I'm interested to know what everyone recomends too, being due in 3 weeks time. I have relaxation cd which I plan to use but it goes for 45mins and I think there is only so many times in a row that I want to listen to the one disc.... waiting for suggestions.

honestly i didnt even realise the music was on!!!!!!!!!

but what i had was matchbox twenty.. i know not really relaxing music !!

I had planned on making up compilation cds to play during my labour, I'm a real music lover. As my DS arrived early, I didn't get the time........just as well! I couldn't stand anything being played during contractions! Like I screamed for them to turn the music off LOL.

However, I know many people find music very helpful. I would suggest a mixture of things, so that you've got plenty to choose from when the time comes. And don't be disappointed if you don't use it!

I know this sounds dreadfully unrealistic, BUT i'm just going to have my everyday playlists of songs i enjoy so i can sing and dance and bop around to them, IYKWIM. Music is a really influential part of my life, i use it when i'm stressed, angry, upset - so i think it'll be great assistance as a distraction for me... but then again, i haven't given borth yet either, so we'll see what happens.

I yelled at my husband to turn off the radio when he asked which station I wanted to listen to! I had even made my own labour CD too! I just didnt want any music.

I made up a CD of all my favourite Elvis Presley songs as he's my all time favourite performer & I feel so relaxed when listening to him. I cant say it made labour any easier but it was nice to have the music in the background while I was nursing Brianna whilst egtting my stitches. (I cant say I even heard the music while in labour though)

I hope that helps.

Good luck

I got given an Ipod Nano for my Birthday so I could use it when home & at the birth. I downloaded all my fav songs & can say I didn't even get it out at the hosp. It was the last thing on my mind, I do remember noticing when the midwife put on some relaxation cd & that was it can't remember it at all after that.
    But it has been a godsend when we go away, as we have speakers & DS has music to sleep.

I listened to Jeff Buckley, Tori Amos, Chicane....just stuff I like. Anything that makes you happy is good, it doesn't have to be relaxation music.
    For me I found having my music on calming and reassuring because it was so familiar to me. Other women find any noise incredibly distracting and can't stand it LOL. But I'd just recommend going with whatever music you normally like...better to have it and not want it, then to not have it and wish you did!

I listened to a cd called The Essence by Deva Premal, beautiful mantras and instrumental stuff!
    It helped me to drift off a little! Its a beautiful cd!

I also listened to and watched the NRL grand final! I think DH was happy about that!

Just listen to whatever you want be it relaxing or hyper! lol!
    x

I had all my normal iPod music, set to shuffle... I was really glad I had it, I remember hearing my favourite songs here and there. I didn't know this til afterwards, but my DH lovingy skipped songs he thought weren't helping me much - like he skipped some depressing Nick Cave songs during contractions!

I wish I knew what was playing when DD entered the world, but none of us can remember.

I had 2 CD's with me

coldplay parachutes
    and crowded house best of

listened to both until transitional behaviour kicked in and then crowdies where just a little too much...coldplay was playing when Jay was born

xx yogababy

I don't have any personal experiences to share with you, but at a birthing course recently I did see a great birth video where the mum- and dad-to-be danced to "don't stop me now" by Queen (and just stopped every now and then for contractions)! Kinda appropriate really

YAY!!! That means i can do it! =D

I brought a bunch of Cd's with me to the hospital but music was the last thing on my mind and I never even got the CD"s out of my bag. I was too out of it to notice music anyways. I think it would have annoyed me.

I'm another one who didn't want music.
    But I'd also recommend stuff you're familiar with and like.
    (And can I just say, ooooooooohhhhh, a new iMac! I'm jealous! )

With Olivia I had a whole load of '80's tracks and a lot of chick soul music. For me, it really helped. Lisa Stansfield's "So Natural" was playing when I gave birth......tot his day I cannot hear that track without crying happy tears!

With Charlie I just didn't want any music on at all.....DH most likely got yelled at to turn it off, LOL! But I did play a lot of music after I had given birth whilst Charlie and I were tucked away together in our room....a lot of Michael Buble..his Caught In The Act CD. Hearing that whole album again occasionally makes me feel all warm and fuzzy........

With Lexie, she came so quickly I barely had time to get to the hospital before she was born, but I had packed music, which we played for those blissful few hours directly after her birth.....again, I cannot hear "The Special Two" without crying happy tears..........

I'm planning to take 2 mix CD's and John Barrowman 'Another Side' CD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast