Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myth or Fact?

Question Myth or Fact?

Ok, since I can't sleep and DH and I have been "discussing" this for a few weeks now, I thought I might put it to the wise people on BB!

When your waters break, is it corrosive?

DH has been told (who knows by whom) that our waters are corrosive and can eat materials like car seats, mattresses and carpet. Is this true? And what do you do to clean it up if your waters do happen to break when you're in bed or standing on carpet? And if my Belly Buddy girls are reading this NO MY WATERS HAVEN'T BROKEN! LOL.

I'm off to keep surfing BB until I feel sleepy....

Love MG

mae Guest

I just did a quick search on here and there was a similar discussion and someone said that they learned it was corrosive and loves leather!!?!?!?? ...and my google search only came back with one 'hit' and it was that same thread on here....lol...so I don't know....

LOL Mae! I don't have leather anywhere so I'm safe there! I haven't found anything on the net either - but I'm sure someone on BB will know the answer!

MG

I know it stains, but didn't think it was corrosive. I only think that because I know that you're supposed to sit on a towel on the way to the hospital/birth centre to protect the car seat, but I'm sure you can wash and use the towel afterwards.

Having said that, we have very old towels that will be used for that purpose and aren't used for drying us any more, so will be using those!

At least leather repels fluid! Fabric seats will just let it soak in...ewww!

Yep I think it jut stains.

When my water broke I was in bed, they made a lovely stain on the matress, but that was about it.

My gosh... how bad would it be if it was corrosive!!! Stains seem the be the common answer. I have no idea as my waters were ruptured...but nothing come out til DD was born. Her big head was blocking the opening the whole time!

My mum says that when she was having us, the hospital told you to put plastic on EVERYTHING cos your waters will wreck stuff! So she put plastic on her mattress etc JIC, but her waters never broke on their own!

I have heard that they will ruin your mattress, and I don't like the idea of my car seat absorbing all that fluid, but I've never heard that they're corrosive

LOL Thanks girls! Wait until I hit DH with the "I told you so"!!!! He is so gullible at times! ROFL

OK I have been thinking about this question for a few hours and the answer I have come up with is:-
    I have no idea

I hope that helps
    LOL

It didn't stain my tracky pants when they broke all over them!

I really don't know for sure either, but I have to say what are the chances that your baby has been soaking for nine months in something corrosive?
    To be on the safe side, we put a plastic bag on the car seat and an old towel over top. My water broke when I was at home with clothes on, and those clothes were definitely wearable after. (not that I ever wanted to put maternity pants on again! )

MIne broke in bed with maddy & trickled all over the carpet on my way to the bathroom, I then sat hanging over the bath & it peeled the paint off the bath.......

Just kidding :nana:

Nope mattress, had a wet stain but it certainly didnt disappear, nor did the carpet or bath!!!!!

Same as Mummy Mel, mine broke in bed, just left a stain on the matress. I also agree with what Mumma of 2 said about bubs being in it for 9 months.

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to show DH this thread! Hope he goes BRIGHT RED! ROFL.

Alan, just saw you are on your way to Vic! WOOHOO!

MG - i would recommend if you can get your hands on one,, getting a plastic backed "kitty"?? not sure if that is the name you know them by,, but they are used in hospitals etc and are just plastic backed padded sheet type things used to go under patients,,,,, try having one of those on your car seat folded to fit that is,or have a towel with a plastic sheet or even a thick hefty bag over your seat upholstery with a coule of folded towel on top, then your car is safe,,,,, as for the bed,,,, (and i know this is gonna sound wierd) but get yourself a shower curtain,, and lay it under your sheets on your bed,, so if it does happen in the middle of the night,, your mattress is safe as well. As for your carpet,, unless you have scotchguarded it,, then all i can say is pray like all heck that you miss that lol.
    I was really lucky,,, the only pregnancy where my water broke was my first. At 28 weeks when i was on the loo at my inlaws house,, my DS gave one HUGE almight kick,, right when i was about to stand up and pull up my knickers,, and my waters broke all IN their loo lol. They were very grateful that it did not happen on their carpets lol.

DH has been told (who knows by whom) that our waters are corrosive and can eat materials like car seats
    Ok, my waters broke with Lexie in the car on the way to the hospital.....it was the most bizarre feeling BTW......very squishy!

IT HAS LEFT NO STAIN & NO SMELL AND NO CORROSION HAS OCCURRED AT ALL!!

( I was worried it would........but DH left the window open fo r a few days JIC, and it has not stained, no smell, no nothing......you would NEVER know I gushed amniotic fluid all through the seat at all!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast