Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Myth or Fact?

MG
    I just had another thought. I have had amniotic on my shoes, in my shoes, on my shirt and pants, and on one occasion on my glasses. They survived so I guess it is nor corrosive.

Also for a cheap plastic sheet for the bed get a cheap shower curtain

why would it be corrosive? the baby has to LIVE in it ROFL...

ROFL yes, my DH DID overlook the fact that our baby has been swimming in this fluid for the past 39 weeks! But hey, what would I know? ROFL.

I'm personally not too worried about whether or not it stains anything! We have a mattress protector on the bed so figure that would take the brunt of it anyway... But to appease him, I WILL put something on it before I go to bed tonight. And we have a towel in the car to protect his precious baby LOL. Besides, I read somewhere only about 5% of women actually have their waters break before bub arrives - the rest break when bubs is well and truly on the way out! LOL.

That did occur to me, that babies swim in this stuff for up to 40 weeks! So it can't be too bad.

Tracey, you are a crack-up! Peeled the paint off the bathtub LMAO!

MG,
    I hope your waters dont break this weekend, and no it is not corrosive. ROFL at your DH for thinking that!!
    My waters broke with Kymmy when i got out of the shower and dribbled down my leg and i still have 2 perfectly good legs..... Well DF thinks so!!
    Love Jen

Thanks for the good giggle girls. I agree though, there is no way in the world it is "corrosive" how could a baby develop and grow in a corrosive environment.

Tracey, pmsl at you and your bathtub.

I just bought some bluey's and put them under my bottom sheet on the mattress, JIC. Of course it was never needed though, but when you have some left over move them up to the top of the bed coz your BB'S are bound to leak overnight too.

why would it be corrosive? the baby has to LIVE in it ROFL...
    VERY TRUE!

Ok great subject MG as my Mum asked the very same question at my birthng class last week. Basically in "her" day, they were told the same thing as your DH. But our MW said no they cant "eat away" at anything, may just stain.

For my own benefit, I will be lining my bed anyway and putting towels on the car seats

hay MG my waters broke as i went to get up to go to the loo with DS and it didnt stain the carpet, and then i had to get into our car and put towels all around me and its didnt stain there either, but boy did it keep coming i was shocked at how much i kept leaking. not long now my love.
    love TG

yeah mine always broke on the loo LOL (thats where i go when im in pain haha)

ROFL Brooke! LOVE IT! DH loves Myth Busters so maybe I should email them? LOL.

Trish - great idea with the bluey's. Might have to see if someone can swipe some from work for me and drop them off

For the car, I'm just going to use the "dog" covers we have, they're plastic lined and cover the entire back seat of the car, even has slots for the seat belts.

Shower curtain - must add that onto the list of "things to buy".

I covered the blow up bed I had for Tehya's birth with a shower curtain too. I put on 2 sheets, it had the shower curtain in between them, so I could use and dirty one sheet, rip them off and still have another clean sheet already on the mattress. Never did dirty it though The pool was much better for any messy stuff, like giving birth

I've got a drop sheet (those ones you get from Mitre 10 for when you are painting) on the bed. It covers the whole bed under the mattress protector (which I figure can be washed later if need be) - it cost $1.25.

It's most definitely not corrosive - unless you happen to be giving birth to an alien being - I think the concern is that if it gets in to the padding in you car seats it can rot them, like any liquid would. We have leather car seats and my husband would absolutely freak out if my waters broke on his beloved leather, which he conditions by hand every month. (He's gunna get a shock when master/miss comes along and pukes!!)

I've heard it doesn't smell so flash, but I guess I will find out if that is true well enough. Of course, Alan having had it in his shoes would be able to tell us that.

Tell DH that it will be corrosive so if youre at home and go to the hospital, Then he cleans it up for you! LOL

SS! I had a thought the other night that I might just tell him to get up and clean up any mess I make! ROFL. I WAS going to be nice and let him sleep as long as possible if I drop during the night!

Oooh, I want to collect and test it now! DH and I decided to apply our brains to this one and we think it may well be slightly acidic, as skin is slightly acidic and the fluid would need to be what's best for baby. I now want to collect a few samples and pH test them LOL. But only corrosive if you don't clean it up, I mean even water is corrosive over a long enough period of time (see cliffs et cetera for proof).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12