Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some urgent counsel please

Twins!! Hadn't thought of that Expat. That would be interesting.

I like your idea of the separate appt ttcno2, and I think if we were going to go we would have to tell them - it's only fair - that could change their whole mind on the holiday anyway!

Thanks girls, I'll let you know what we're thinking after hubby & I have a chat.

Hi there,

Melody - we've been on 11 flights now with our daughter so it's all great fun, but you need to be organised!!

Other considerations:

ACCOMMODATION: To answer your query re: own space, I think it would be a great idea as they are going skiing (probably getting up early to hit the slopes so will they appreciate it!) however, you will probably find yourself going to that separate location every couple of hours (checking up, feeding) if you have a baby monitor that can work at that distance or just spend the evenings in your own place (so you're close to her)... or...let her sleep whereever then carry her 'home'. We spent our days and nights at friends and family in the UK so I was always able to hear her (with the monitor on) and just go upstairs to tend to her.

BABY BED: We found one of the most useful things was taking a cocoon (we have an eBay bought Valco one) so she could sleep anywhere and we could just carry her home. This was great for letting her sleep at connecting airports etc too. Plus our HAB (love the HAB!!) We didn't need a stroller at all.

TICKETS: As skiing is looking popular, I would be thinking that your FIL would want to book soon to secure cheaper tickets at such a popular time of year. Some airlines allow you to buy a ticket for an infant before they are born and you advise of the name once bubs has arrived i.e. able to by a cheap ticket for baby too. Others won't let you until the little one is born as they need birth details i.e. have to buy ticket much later, prices will have shot up (as we found).

BASSINETT: Make sure that you book a bassinet though as soon as possible regardless (can book even if can't buy ticket yet). Different airlines, different policies. Some work on an age basis so you can request it but if there are younger babies who need it they get priority. Others work on a first in, best dressed basis so the earlier you book the better chance of getting one. Big planes to the US will probably have 4 on board so you'll want to book it quickly.

LUGGAGE: You will have so much stuff for the little one! Some airlines have a decent baggage allowance for infants (20kg) and others don't (10kg). This may not be enough especially in winter and bulky winter clothing, ski gear etc. The great thing about travelling with a group is that you'll be able to spread your luggage between the group.

I guess though my thinking is that you'll probably end up needing to tell your family soon if travel plans are being discussed as it's only fair to let others make up their mind (other family members).

Good luck!

RoyaUk - you're amazing! Thanks for all your advice - that's fantastic.

DH and I had a chat yesterday and agreed that we'll need to tell the family eariler than 12wks (2 months away) as it just wouldn't be fair, and if we're still going, they need a chance to make appropriate arrangements.

We've decided we have to stall them from making final bookings for at least another 3 wks - then I'll be in my 8th wk of pregnancy and they could probably keep a lid on things for a month. Anyway, DH will tell FIL that we're interested (all your fabulous advice ladies has made all the difference!) but that before he makes the final bookings, just check with us as we'll need to make sure leave is available etc.

So, by the time FIL does all the research and looks at the options, 3 wks will have gone and we can tell them and re-assess the situation. I think the idea of travel insurance that covers pregnancy is great - just incase we need to pull out because of bubba.

Oh, I'm so grateful for your help girls. DH asked "Have you asked your BB friends?" and I said "YES - listen to this...." Fantastic to have a snapshot of what it could be like with a baby at 3mths.

Default An Update

Just thought I'd give you all an update.

We ended up telling the PILs about 1 week ago as FIL was full steam ahead with preparations. They've promised to keep the news it quiet until we tell other family members etc.

They were originally in agreement to get 2 rooms (we'd share a 2 bed unit with them and have an adjacent room for the others), however FIL seems to think we'll all be fine in a 4 bed condo thingy. Well, they can't blame us if bubbs wakes them up all the time!
    They're also planning a short time in New York (which we may/may not join in).

My most recent dilemma is, how do you travel in a taxi with a baby?

I'm not sure of the legislation in the US, Melody however in Victoria where I am, you didn't have to have the baby in a capsule/car seat up - you could hold them in your arms - until I think the beginning of this year. Now you can still hold them if you want or the taxi company has to have a restraint available. This is only if you call to book a cab. Maybe you can ask the company who is providing the accommodation - hotel/apartments if they know the legislation over there. Personally, I'd have bubs in a hugabub if the restraint isn't available. Maybe you can hire a restraint over there, but seems like a lot of work for taxi rides - ok for hire car if you are getting one.

Thanks Wardygirl,

I'm loving the idea of the Hug-a-bub - and baby hammocks! Most transport will be booked, so my preference is to get a child seat. Lots of people must do this....

I would have thought it would be mandatory to have the child in a restraint - I seem to remember "Britney" getting in trouble and in the papaers for not doing this a while back.

I think its great that you are going. I would have chosen to travel after the baby is born than while pregnant.

WRT the accomodation, as long as everyone understans the potential for sleepless nights with a young baby. DS slept well at that age though, and seems to sleep better when we travel than he does at home.

Tink Guest

Hi,

Not quite the same, but we flew from Melbourne to the Whitsundays (4hrs or so), when our bub was 3 weeks old - and he slept the whole way....

I just made sure I feed him on the way up and the way down for his ears...

I'm glad I did it then rather then later, we figured if we were going to be sleep deprived we may as well be sleep deprived in the Whitsundays....

Good Luck

Hi Melody, Great to hear that the plans are working out for you. Re: car restraints in the US, it seems different states have different legislation so best to check with a booking agent in the US perhaps.

Having recently introduced solids (or the lack thereof) I can tell you, it's much easier to travel with bubs when they're just breastfeeding...oh boy!

I think you should go - it's not too hard travelling with a little one, especially that young. You should have the feeding down pat by then. Just make sure he/she is suckling when the plane takes off/lands.

Have fun! You will also find that people will bend over backwards to help you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12