Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Morning Sickness = Higher Risk of Miscarriage?

Default No Morning Sickness = Higher Risk of Miscarriage?

Studies have shown that women who suffer from morning sickness are less likely to have miscarriages as well as less likely to give birth to a baby with birth defects.[3]
    Wow, this is a little scarey! So they are saying if you dont suffer from morning sickness you have a higher change of having a miscarriage?
    Has anyone heard of this before?
    I havent had the slightest hint of morning sickness so it isnt nice reading things like this!

I have heard it before but I also know personally of women who haven't had any or much MS and gone on to have healthy babies. I just think that in some cases, unfortunately it is a sign of things not going right. I think if you're not bleeding, it's all good. Just take it as it comes.

BTW I didn't have any sickness until around 6 to 7 weeks and then it hit with a vengeance. =)

I've also heard this before and statistically it's correct - in that many studies have shown that there is a higher m/c rate among women who have no morning sickness as a group. BUT many, many women don't get it and have a number of perfectly healthy pregnancies with not a day of sickness at all (my mother is one - she never had it at all with either of hers, can't even recall feeling slightly nauseous). My two best friends also never had it.

For me my experience was that out of four pregnancies, the two I lost had no m/s and the two that went full term I was sick from 6 weeks.

There are so many other factors and there'll be plenty of posts on this thread from other women who had no m/s and had trouble free pregnancies so try not to stress about it!

never heard of this.

i havent suffered from m/s in the slightest. it made me nervous at first but now i figure i was just lucky!

bubs is doing fine.

Hey Reneenay

I just thought that I would pop in and say that with DD I had no m/s what so ever, and she came out perfectly fine. My mother also had no m/s with all 5 of her kids and we are all fit and healthy. I know taht is only 2 people, but i know of a few more too that never suffered m/s. I wouldn't worry too much, honestly you aren't missing out on anything, lol. When I was pg with #1 I always wondered what it was liek to ahve m/s. This time, I just can't wait for it to disappear.

Baloney! I never had any morning sickness with either of my two, and have gone on to have perfectly healthy children.

I think it's all just going to up the fear factor.

Reneenay,

I have read that statement as well.. really it is just a statement!! There are plenty of people that have not had m/s and had a healthy baby. My sis is one of them!! My mum said she had no m/s with my sis but she did with me. Everyone is different and everyone's pregnancy is going to be different. You could be a late starter with the m/s.. I didnt get it until 6/7wks. I would enjoy not having m/s cause it is horrid!!

Enjoy your pregnancy Renee, think positive thoughts and everything is going to be fine.

Hi
    I had no morning sickeness what so ever, I had more energy that what i had when I wasnt pregnant....I suffered from really bad hay fever before falling pregnant and I think I snezzed about 3 times through out the whole pregnancy!!!

Sometimes it just agrees with you I suppose
    I have to admit I hate these studies and some of the bull dust they try to scare us with!

I hope the rest of your pregnancy is M/S free!

xxxooo

None for me and healthy as an ox so far!

Dont mean to brag(LOL) but i havnt had any either, and everything has gone great so far!

Simone

Thanx Ladies!

Kirstie like you I feel 100% fine. I cant believe back at 7, 8 & 9 DPO I was trying to look for symptoms haha.....well I did have heart burn for a day! But if it wasnt for the positive blood test there would be no way possible for me to guess im pregnant!
    I get really tired in the afternoons but I was like that prior (maybe not as much I guess) because of my crazy blood sugar levels.

I just hate reading things like that.

Ill try and stop harassing these threads with my lack of symptoms haha, thanx again everyone! God I love bellybelly!

Thats GREAT!
    I was getting tired in the first trimester in the afternoons too... I began to get a jelly baby addiction then.. he he... they give you just enough energy burst to get through the rest of the day at work! :-)
    It wasnt until the 3rd trimester I got really bad intergestion.... but with a little bit of tumtums I was fine again.... it was like everytime I got hungry I would get a bit of intergestion.... but maybe it was because I was eating enough to feed myself and quints!!! he he he
    so that was it throughout the whole thing!

I hoep the rest of your pregnancy is GREAT!

xxxooo

SossiGirl is offline Believes things do happen for a reason.. but sometimes would like to know what the reason is

I had no m/s and bubs is kicking like a trooper!! Dr said all is going great guns, so i wouldnt worry about the statement..

I hardly had any - possibly 6 days well mornings of feeling a bit off but nothing that a bit of food fixed

I think its a load of rubbish, I have spoken to so many girlfriends that have had babies and no morning sickness what so ever. I think that if you don't get it then your body is just adapting to Pregnancy really well.

Congrats and enjoy Renee!

Quote Originally Posted by wardygirl View Post
    Baloney! I never had any morning sickness with either of my two, and have gone on to have perfectly healthy children.

I think it's all just going to up the fear factor.
    Totally agree Rach.... When you look at the overall stats of how many women suffer morning sickness and how many don't, there is a pretty high percentage of women who don't suffer m/s - from memory it's about 50/50?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by reneenay View Post
    Wow, this is a little scarey! So they are saying if you dont suffer from morning sickness you have a higher change of having a miscarriage?
    Has anyone heard of this before?
    I havent had the slightest hint of morning sickness so it isnt nice reading things like this!
    I was trying to quote your quote! didnt work anyway.
    Where did you find this information? What study was it from?

If it was from wikepedia, that source isnt very reliable on some things published. If your concerned go and see your GP or someone who can reassure you

I never had any morning sickness with Milo, and he's fine.

I had sore and itchy bbs at the start, and I had heartburn from about 15 weeks, but never morning sickness.

I realised I should have clarified something earlier when I posted.

I am wondering if the research is looking at groups of women who were pg and didn't have morning sickness as opposed to groups of women who didn't have morning sickness and then went on to miscarry. The two are quite different.

I think if you are looking at stats of women who have miscarried, you would find that most of them had symptoms such as absence of morning sickness which in their case would indicate there was a problem.

But by and of itself, absence of morning sickness shouldn't be taken to be sinister. As you can see there are many instances when it hasn't been an indicator of anything bad at all.

Hope you can relax a bit now. =)
    Last edited by Melbo; January 12th, 2007 at 04:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast