Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NT scan/Down Syndrome positive result

Default NT scan/Down Syndrome positive result

Hi,
    I just had my 12 week scan and blood results given to me over the phone by my GP. He said the thickness at the back of the neck is 6mm long and its a possibility that it could have downs or turners syndrome. He wants me to have a CVS in a few days.

Can anyone tell me what is the "normal" range of thickness and what its like to have the test.

Please help

Cheers
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,

I think the normal range for thickness is 3 or 4 i can't remember which one it is.
    Did your Dr tell you what the figures are for you to be high risk ?

My NF was 1:4 but my risk factor was 1:294 i had the amnio done as my Dr didn't tell me until i went to see them passed 13wks so i had to wait till 15wks.

No he didnt tell me anything, just that it was thicker than usual and that he didnt know what 'normal' was

Are you able to call him back and ask what the risk factor is ?
    If they come back over 1:300 they don't class that as high risk.

I agree witn Michelle. To have further testing you need all the information to make an INFORMED decision. Argh at the doctor. I am not sure what the 'normal' range is so even if 6mm was consided high it completely depends on what the blood tests results were... those two tests combined give a 1 in number ratio of the chance of the baby having a chromosome abnormality. And even then it isn't 100% accurate... I think it is about 90%.

My advice is to see a genetic counsellor. I was told bubs had a 'higher than average' nuchal fold thickness and seeing a genetic counsellor (there is a great bunch of people at Monash, right near you I see) was the best thing for DH and I. I highly recommend it first. That way your doctor has to send the results to the counsellor so she can tell you exactly what everything means. Good luck.

Hi, I just went to the doc and with the blood test and the us combined my risk for downs is 1 in 20 and my risk for trisomy 18 is 1 in 39, which is very high. I will go and get further testing, I'm just scared and tired. My first ever pregnancy has been so traumatic. Thanks for the advice

Luv Melissa

Melissa, I am glad that you atleast now have all the info. Please let us know how the CVS or amnio goes. Big hugs.

Melissa, I'm glad that you have found out more information. But so sorry to hear your risk is very low. Sending you big hugs.

I agree with Jessica about talking to a genetic counsellor. They will talk it all through with you and help you on the rest of your journey.
    If you need someone to talk too please email me and ask away any questions you may have and i will answer them the best i can.
    Last edited by visitor2; September 29th, 2006 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks Michelle and Jessica, its really good to be able to come on here and have a chat. I will see what they have to say at the hospital and I will request to have a chat with a counsellor, coz I am feeling pretty crap. I am lucky I have a supportive family and beautiful caring partner.

Will keep you posted

Melissa

Jacquelyn Guest

Melissa, I wish I could do or say something really spectacular, but all that is coming to mind is to wish you luck. Hopefully, all will be well, and you will be able to look back on this way down the track as a distant memory.

My thoughts are with you, and as the others have said do let us know how the other tests turn out.

Blessings

Jacquelyn

Melissa, I cant recommend the counselling enough. They really help to clarify everything, because this type of situation is never just black or white. For us it was particularly good for DH because I had some idea what all the figures meant but am not qualified to pass on that information very well (thus I didnt do a very good job!), IYKWIM! Please mention it to your doctor. I saw a great counsellor at Monash in Clayton, and my GP was able to refer me to her.

hi michelle

Bug hugs to you.. WHen preganct with DD my rish rturned at 1:12 .. very high risk consiering i was only 26! her NT measure was around 4 or something..

I had the CVS and the results came back fine! So good luck to you.. The CVS is scary but you will be able to get through it.. and you get to know the exact sex if you want to !

xoxo thinking of you

Melissa how are you feeling today ?
    When are they going to send you for the CVS or Amnio ?

Hi,

I just got back from Manash. They are really great there. They linked me in with the genetic counsellor straight away and she explained everything to me... although I knew a lot already. She booked me in for Friday morning and will meet me there half an hour early so that she can explain things to DP as he couldnt make todays appointment. Then she will call us at home on Monday night with the perliminary results and she said that she can see me any time. Its so reassuring that not all the medical professions are cold hearted and rrrr...its ok, I'm a nurse, I think I am allowed to say that!!!
    I am having the CVS coz I am not quite 13 weeks. Thanks everyone for your support and I will definately keep you updated.

Take care

Melissa

Melissa,
    That's good you got to speak to someone and they helped you out. Hope all goes well on Friday.
    Will be thinking of you.

clare076 Guest

Hi Melissa
    I am going through exactly the same thing at the moment. We were supposed to have a cvs done last week but it got cancelled. We are now booked for an amnio in 3 weeks.

All the very best for Friday, I hope we both get good results
    Clare

Melissa and Clare, good luck for your upcoming tests. Thinking of you both.

Hi Melissa,

I just wanted to wish you well for tomorrow, and for you you keep in mind that 1:20 means theres a 19:20 chance that your baby doesn't have a condition!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast