Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh your babys big...crap on!

Fire Fly Guest

Default Oh your babys big...crap on!

Please mods move this to its appropriate place.

Im baffled why Obs have to all say, and they have with all 3 pregnancys. 'Oh you have a big baby'. Are they trying to scare us or what?
    I went through a proper Ob with DD and he said all through, gee your measuring ahead of your weeks, so naturally im started to think oh god im going to have to have a caesar to get this kid out. Admittedly she was a 9 pound bub but still that wasnt to bad.

With DS i went through the Midwives but because my blood is a bit odd i had to see the Ob there, he used to say wow its a big bub. Even though the monthly U/S never indicated that at all. I was a bit apprehensive because they say your kids get bigger in size. But he was only a 7 pound bub. Cant complain about that.

Now with this pregnancy, im seeing the same Ob through midwives for the same reason and he said yesterday, 'oh i wouldnt put you at 16wks id put you at 18' god get over yourself. I had a full bladder, im hardly showing at all and my U/S shows im actually a week behind if i go by my last MP. So ner.

I dont care either way because it has to come out so theres no reason to say such things, its the damn head that im concerned about anyway, not the heavyness.

Anyone else get that?

Debbie Lee Guest

I was reading about this last night.
    Apparently if the baby is believed to be over 8lb 13oz, it's considered a BIG baby. It's highly likely that this baby will get close to that (if not over) as Gabby was 8lbs. I know it's not set in stone but, all my Mum's babies got bigger so I am assuming the same will go for me.

This is what is said in "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth":
    ultrasound weight estimates are so inaccurate that if your caregiver suspects a large baby, he or she could equally well flip a coin as order a sonogram.
    Interesting, hey?
    Plus... what's the problem if you do have a big baby? Plenty of women birth big babies no worries!

Isn't it true that larger babies are generally stronger and actually help themselves come out whereas smaller babies are harder to push out in general? I've heard something along those lines.

I got this too right through Toby's pregnancy
    My OB's was doing u/s measurements right through my pregnancy that consistently said he would be 8lbs and he kept saying he was "big". What [email protected] 8lbs is the 50th percentile which (and I am not a doctor but I'll hazard a guess here ) means that he is average sized.
    He was born 8lbs exactly and after he was born OB was still going on about how "big" he was. It was really starting to peeve me by that point.

A few people I know think that anything over 8lbs is big so I guess it depends on the person, but really, there aint much you can do about it once they're in there - they still have to come out LOL.

I just have loads of people looking at my belly and 'telling' me I am going to have a HUGE baby.. most of them wouldnt know a thing but feel qualified to comment. All my measurements have been spot on and the mw's reckon under 8...
    You just get sick of hearing oh you're huge!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

My mum said the same Jillian, she had big babies including a 10'lbr and not a stitch, even the midwives didnt believe her there were no stitches and would ask to check them! She said it was easier too, her theory is they do all the work themselves, pushing their way through being bigger LOL
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

i had a 9lb 2ozer, and apart from his huge head (40.5cm) i had no probs!! Dont know what they're going on about!! Why rely on something to give you info if its not even accurate??

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

God, DS2 was my biggest at 8lb 2 oz and he was the easiest hands down. My DH was 10lb 12 oz and my MIL birthed him without pain relief or stitches. She's my hero!
    Last edited by sushee; May 11th, 2009 at 01:33 PM.

I weighed 6lbs exactly and mine was a very difficult and long birth apparently! I decided to start coming out but then gave up LOL! My brother was closer to 8lbs and mum swears his birth was easier.

Why are babies measured in lb? I have no idea what that translates to in kg!

Xander was 9lb2oz, and he was 4.155kg... i think its rought 2.25lb per kg?? correct me if im wrong...

Debbie Lee Guest

Just cos they used to be measured in pounds and it's what people are used to.

If someone tells me the weight of a baby in kilos, I have no idea! LOL
    Yet if you say it in pounds, I know what size it is. I guess it's from listening to my Mum talk about us as babies. It's just something that's hung on.
    Plus... they still use pounds in the US and, well... it's in the movies etc.

Colleen Guest

When i went for an ultrasound at 36/ 37/ 38 weeks ( i had them alot towards the end) i was always petrified because the person doing the u/s would go and get other people to "check this out" because of jaykobs measurements.

Id have 4 and 5 people in there saying " wow big baby, does it run in the family etc etc" i felt like telling them all to Pee off and thanks for making me think im going to be pushing out a mini bus" god it made me mad.

(plus once he was born, in darwin, where the local babies tend to be very small, the comments didnt stop!)

Get one of those maternity tshirts made outlining the fact you dont want their opinion! lol

Kerrie - i hear you but to the other extreme. I was always told that Ella was small for dates (and it's deja vu all over again with this preg)...yet when Ella came 6 weeks premmie she was 4 pound 12! That's pretty impressive for a bub at that age - let alone one that was apparently "small for dates" the whole time.

Thats a great size - Anneliese was like that. I was made to get my dates checked, because they said Anneliese was too small, (I barely looked pg when i went into labour at 30 weeks, they didnt believe how far along i was!!) And anneliese was born 3lb 11oz at 30w4d (1680g) whereas most babies born around that time were barely 1kg...

Not as a rule, but i've found boys to generally be bigger... In my family, us girl (4 of us) were all in the 7lber region. my 2 brother - first one was 9lb 13oz, and my second one was 9lb 8oz. And us girls are still petite, whereas my borther are quite built (my 17yo bro has a 6 pack and i rippled, adn my 14yo brother is just solid, but a good solid!!)

HTH

ETA i spose you'll find out in about 12w hey caro??!!

I have had 5 ultrasounds now and for 3 of them Noah was measuring big for dates by 11 days, then I get the last one to look at his club foot and I asked if he was measuring big and she said he is measuring spot on to the original date and the OB told me he has a big head eeeks!! I have the fear of god in me now!

Debbie Lee Guest

Try not to stress about it, Sarah. Remember... your body is designed to birth babies. Bubba's head is also soft to help squeeze through.
    Also, OB's tend to see pregnancy and birth as something that "happens" to our bodies... not something that's normal and natural. They focus on the possible "problems" rather than the actual "possibilities" (of course... that's a general statement... I'm sure there's exceptions ).
    You can do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast