Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh your babys big...crap on!

I will try not to stress too mch but I am planning on having a drug free birth, I just hope I can do it!

Debbie Lee Guest

You can Just keep saying to yourself; "My body is designed for this" and try not to listen to the scare-tactics that the doctors try to use (unless of course there's a real medical emergency).

When I was waiting to be induced the midwives were taking bets on how big the baby was and told me they would come in to see the size of the baby regardless if they were on shift or not!!!

Would you believe that somebody who hasn't actually asked me *when* I'm due told me yesterday I'm big for my dates! I mean really ...

I'm sick of hearing my baby is small... actually, no. That's not the case (the baby is growing very, very fast and is oversize for dates). I reckon when Liebs makes a debut then the weight will be 9-10lb... doesn't really worry me. My cousin was 11lb and she was out in about half an hour, no worries. Everyone has given up measuring the "small" bump, but the other day my GP didn't believe me when I told her how far gone I was! (LOL, she had my notes in front of her and had to check.)

Kazbah, I wish at 27w gone people had noticed I was pg, let alone commented on the bump!

Fire Fly Guest

I just cant get over the obs half arsed attempt to measure and then tell me its a big bub. He isnt the most thorough person in getting things exact.

I dont understand how he can have my other kids recorded as getting smaller and still insist this one is big. Im hoping that this one isnt going to be bigger than DD but like ive said it has to come out and there aint nothing you can do about it. Im baffled to because id not long finished telling him my u/s was a week behind so correct me if im wrong but doesnt that indicate bub is smaller.

I have know idea what my due date is anymore, one minute its the 23rd of june then its the 30th of June then its the 1st of July. The sonographer has it at 1st of July and the hospital has it at the 23rd of June. DS #2 was a week early so fingers crossed i go early again. People with high IQ shouldnt be allowed to talk Lol.

Fire Fly Guest

Im not sure how the measuring thing could be accurate anyway cause there is so much blood and fluid in there so how can they really tell by feeling, kwim.

The u/s you would think would be the most accurate because the machine can acually measure the bub its self but still even that is a distorted image isnt it. I tend to follow the u/s more than ob.

Debbie Lee Guest

Fire Fly... I read this last night and thought it was interesting:

Ultrasound weight estimates followed by induction for suspected large baby increases the risk of caesarean without improving outcomes.
    Ultrasound diagnosis of macrosomia (large babies) also hurts rather than helps. Five studies found that ultrasound predictions that the baby would be macrosomic were wrong one-third to one-half of the time. In addition, two studies looked at the effect of ultrasound diagnosis on macrosomia on outcomes. Both found that when the obstetrician believed, based on ultrasound, that women were carrying macrosomic babies, half had c-sections versus less than one-third of women not thought to have macrosomic babies who actually did.
    Got it from "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth".

Firefly I know exactly where you are coming from!!! I was constantly told this with both my boys and yes they were over 9lbs, but why freak us out!??

When I was studying to become a Midwife, I was told to NEVER say this to a woman and after having my babies I know why. At term I was measuring 46cms with my first and 44 with my second. Everyone was saying that my babies would be massive!! Gee thanks!! It petrified me so much that my labours didnt go according to plan and I ended up with two ceseareans just out of shear fright that I would be pushing out 11 pounders! I guess I just carry my bubs all out the front?

OK my cousin is really tall & thin & you couldnt really tell she was preg & she was aged 17 at the time...
    She was also a smoker & was constantly having scans done & told to quit smoking as her baby was a dangerously low birthweight as it was all a bit of a 'surprise' for her she didnt really listen to anyone & kinda walked around in a daze!!!
    IN lkabour her daughter was born naturally but my cousin went into distress & began fitting in labour so my Aunt was thrown out of the room, because the baby was over 13lb! So far from the dangerously smnall birthweight!

With maddy I was told I'd need a pelvic scan as the bubs seemed to be quiet large!!! I never had the scan & birthed her at 7lb10 & then with Indah i was told it was a big bub, but my Chiro said it seemed to be an 8lber, well she was born 8lb1!

Both excatly 1 week over!!!

They have no idea how much fluid etc is in there...

Debbie Lee Guest

See I was reassured when my ultrasound said Gab would be 8lb 11oz. I thought "Well that's good because bigger babies help to get themselves out. They are stronger".
    She was 8lbs on the nose... so not far off (I guess).

But I ended up with a caeasar (not cos she was big... other reasons).

This time my doctor wants me to see a gyno to see if the baby will fit through my pelvis.
    I'm gonna change doctors. What a crock!
    Last edited by Debbie Lee; January 22nd, 2007 at 09:33 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12