Thread: Overseas student and birth

Default Overseas student and birth

Hello to evrey one this forum.

I am seven weeks pregnant with a acute coccyx at 90 degrees bent and my GP told me, I am for sure going to have C-section.

I donít have medicare as my hubby is student and we are covered by medibank which covers pregnancy.

I am considering royal women as a private patient; I would appreciate if any one guide me how much I would be out of pocket expenses, How much I will be covered by medibank?

Today just for general inquiry I called one of Frances Perry Houseís Obstetric on phone and got heaps of expenses. 200$ for 3 consultations each, 35$ for babyís heart monitoring, at 20 week 3500$ and at 30th week 1100$ which she said is I cant claim from insurance.

she kept going on with heaps of amount after birth visits and so on for rest of the stuff and my brain was wandering how we going to manage these expenses.

I called medibank and asked how much I can claim back and I was told at 20th week as a out patient I can only claim 110$ out of 3500$ which is really nuts 110 is nothing to claim back.

I then called royal women, Melbourne to ask how much I will be out of pocket but the receptionist hasnít any idea!

Would be appreciated if some one guide me how much I will be out of pocket.
    Thanks
    Nimra

Hi Nimra, congratulations on your pregnancy!
    I think the problem is because your not an Australian citizen etc you can't claim medicare which means you have to pay the whole obstetric fee (usually even with private cover medicare covers part of the cost of private ob's) However ob's prices vary alot, for instance my ob is $100 a visit, $900 at 20wks and $450 at 30wks some charge more some less. It's worth ringing around to get the ob and the price you can afford. The hospital receptionist can't tell you what the obstetric fees are they can only tell you what the actual hospital charges, you'll have to ring the Ob's seperately. Not sure were you are in Australia but check out the hospitals in your area online as they have a list of private ob's that work from that hospital and their contact numbers. Medibank will cover most of the hospital costs just not the obstetrics fee.

I thought that if you went to a public hospital, you would only be charged the schedule fee (if you cant have Medicare), which I believe would have to be a whole lot less than what a private ob would charge.. if the huge charge is n issue for you? Maybe I'm wrong, I dont know!

Dear joralyd,

Thanks a million for replying me, I am in Melbourne and it will be very helpful if you write me your obstetricsí name and number, mean while I am searching on internet as well ,hope I get the solution and enjoy my this beautiful time instead of worrying for finance.
    Thanks
    Nimra

FPH isn't that private?
    I think that's an option too you could go public, I'm sure it would only be the scheduled fee like Karina said.

My BIL's girlfriend is from overseas and is having her baby in Aus, she's going private though and is forking out $6,000, she has no private insurance but was keen to go private. I'm not sure how much it would cost her if she went public though.

Nimra I'm in the West of Melbourne and my ob is at Spotswood his name is
    Dr John How
    603 Melbourne Rd, Spotswood,
    I'm booked into St Vincents Private and if you check their web site they have a big list of Ob's including my Ob so hopefully you can find something good luck and if you need any more help just let me know

Hi Nimra,

Sorry I can't really help you with answers about the $$ questions. But in regards to your coccyx, it might be really worth seeing an osteopath/physiotherapist/chiropractor even just for a few sessions to help alleviate some of the pain/discomfort/problems it may cause? That said, the pelvis does some amazing things during labour and birth...

Good luck with finding the right place for your perfect birth