Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter & Nuts During Pregnancy

Jason- I thought you were joking! Are you in the army? DH said your user name sounded army.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmac View Post
    Jason- I thought you were joking! Are you in the army? DH said your user name sounded army.
    Hi Christine, thanks for that, I am practicing my "Dad's Joke". And your DH must also have had some army background. I had eight years in the ARes as a grunt. Ended up as a Section Commander (Seco) in Signals Platoon (Chooks).

DH was in regular Army! He was a roach.

Thanks for your replies everyone, very interesting. I have only been naughty once since posting and had peanut butter on toast..mmmm

Hi Tinsel
    I read in a few books that nuts are ok, as long as you dont have an allergy to it. And I find what helps me throughout the day are nut bars. My naturopath recommended them. I would think peanut butter is ok but of course having them too often isnt healthy, not because of allergy but over indulging. I think might just have some for afternoon tea now.. hehe

Well I just want to add that I am craving peanut butter soooooooooooooooooooo badly and I can't have it cause my fiance is allergic and they say that it might affect the baby!!! Aaaarrrggghhh!!! I want it soo bad!
    Last edited by rustygirl; October 6th, 2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling

i ate peanut butter on taost and in sandwiches constantly during pregnancy and bfing, at lesat once a day usually more though, Archie doesn't have any food allergies, he eats peanut butter now just fine. i actually didn't realise when i was pg and bfing that i wsn't supposed to eat it.

oh rustygirl, you poor darlin. It's awful to crave something you can't have but hopefully you will crave something you can have soon.

Question Peanut Butter

I just love peanut butter and have it a few times a week on toast. Some pregnancy mags I've read suggest staying away from some nuts because they can cause allergies in the baby.

I don't have an appt with my obstetrician for another 2 weeks and I was wondering if anyone has checked with their dr if it is safe to eat peanut butter and how much?

Thanks!

I was told no peanut butter, or peanut products, at all. Other nuts, like walnuts for instance, are very good for you. One of those things that everybody has differing views on, but I decided to just avoid it altogether so as not to take the chance. My dr has a pretty low key attitude to all these things, so when he says no to something, I tend to listen. Its killing me though - I have a recipe for peanut butter cookies ready to go the second I give birth!!

I love the stuff and didn't stop eating it throughout both pregnancies. James thankfully isn't allergic to anything and I guess we'll have to wait and see with #2. I don't have a nut allergy, nor does James' father or Chris.

i have been eatign it like a trooper my entire pregnancy - but nobody in my family had a nut allergy so i thought it would be safe

I was wondering the same - I have it sometimes (once or twice a week) and think that surely exposing the baby to it would build up an immunity to nuts.....???? I wonder if there has been an increase in nut allegies because so many women are told not to eat nuts during pregnancy - ??? My opinion anyway!!

AliciaK.... thats what I always thought... I'll continue to eat peanut butter, theres so many things we aren't supposed to eat and do during pregnancy, sometimes I get really confused and just think "they didn't have these guidelines when mum had me and I am fine" (lol I am really fine, believe me! hehehe!).

I was wondering the same thing (she says eating peanuts!! LOL)

I love peanut butter, but i have cut down a little and tend to go for the vegemite first, but at the same time, i have been told that nuts are good during pregnancy, but maybe just not peanuts????

No one in either of our families are allergic, but i guess it is one of those things, if your not 100% sure, than better to be safe than sorry hey, (reluctantly puts down nuts... )

Leesha, LOL when my dh didnt want to know about all the stuff i could or couldnt eat, because women had been having babies for thousands of years with no worries, i had a reply of, "well there wasnt all the bad crap like preservitaives etc in food a thousand years ago!!" I think moderation is the key, and not being too obsessed about it all!!

Starbright (P.S. when you gonna come join our bellybuddies group?), I agree... there is so much room to go WAAAAAY over the top with obsessing about what you eat and don't eat.

I take into consideration things like not too much fish (because of the mercury) or vitamin A from meat sources (like liver), and extra careful of things that can cause food poinsoning... hot stuff has to be hot, cold stuff has to be cold etc...

But some people really freak out about some things... like no coffee, at all, full stop...
    Or no McDonalds fries (try and stop me!)...
    Moderation is definately the key...

Back to the peanut topic... how many studies have there been, or is this a theory someone has?

I dont know about studies leesha, i think just coz peanut allergies are so dominate these days its more of a precautionary thing for preg women incase the baby has the allergy, all though i like the theory that maybe they get allergic coz preg women have stopped eating it!!

I heard Mcdonalds ice cream is bad (or any soft serve) and i LOOOOVE dipping my fries in the ice cream !!! I have refrained!!

RE Belly buddies, i am still a scaredy cat and i am waiting till i am 12 weeks before i get too excited, then i will think about it!! Like i said i have a bad history so i cant be all excited and gooey just yet and i dont want to damper those who rightfully are. One day soon i will check it out!! Thank you for making me feel so wanted though

Oh no! Don't tell me that McDonalds ice-cream is bad...!!!!!!!! Whats wrong with it?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast