Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Peanut Butter & Nuts During Pregnancy

Not sure exactly, something about it being soft serve??? My friend told me that years ago, but i dont really know why!!

I'm googling it.....

Maybe she has it confused with not supposed to eat soft cheeses...?

as I understand it the issue with soft serve of any kind (including mcDonalds) is the ability to be able to clean the machine thoroughly (or the lack thereof) and thus the fact that it can easily harbour listeria

i choose to eat peanut butter cause its one of the few things I can currently stomach but will be trying to reduce/cut out once m/s is over

i have still been eating peanut butter too, i am not cutting it out, although bubba has different ideas. LOL (cant really stomach it)
    with the soft serve it is because it can contain listeria... I have been craving it all along. I did give in and have it once, and i have had an u/s and all good.

I have still been eating PB too....had cravings for it so HAD to eat it! But its not an everyday thing.

As for the soft serve icecream, that goes for Mcdonalds and Hungry Jacks shakes as well.

I have been eating nuts, peanut butter and even peanuts. There isn't any known peanut allergies in our family. I think if you are a person with a lot of sensitivities you are supposed to stay away from it but it is about making an informed choice. I haven't had any soft serve, no soft cheeses, am careful with leftovers, try not to eat salad when dining out - because you don't know if stuff has been washed and how dressings are stored. I decided that if I felt like nuts I would have them, selfish I know but I am making an informed choice.

It is up to you if you eat it or not

mmmm Peanut Butter yum...I love it and have had it on toast quite a few times especially in the first tri cause I craved it...at the moment though I'm partial to strawberry jam on toast :P

I ate PB with DD and she's 4yrs old and she loves it. I swear I could give her the jar and a spoon and she would be the happiest little girl in the world. I'm 35 weeks now and I haven't stopped eating PB, so I don't know if she's an exception to the rule but I'm not going to stop eating PB it tastes to good. I would just do what feels right for you.

Marie

I am eating peanuts and peanut butter. I've seen 5 or 6 doctors during this pregnancy so far and most of them have lectured me about listeria but none of them about peanuts so I reckon there's no problem or one of them would have mentioned it for sure.

I've been nuts and peanut butter. DH and I have no allergies. My naturopath recommended eating those nutbars, like Naytura with seeds and nuts. She says it good for bub, esp. almonds is good for brain development. Also I've been having South East Asia food like Pad Thai and Satay which has peanuts.
    I'm a bit skeptical about nut allergy and pg. Lots of countries use peanuts and nuts in their day to day cooking and pregnant eat them, and the babies dont seem to have allergies.....

Well i have decided to keep with eating the pb and peanuts. I like them and the peanuts are agood snack for during the day to keep my All day sickness taking hold!!

My biggest thing i miss is my soft cheese I love brie and camambert (sp??) which i know is a no no, but i will just like them all the more after not having them for so long!! LOL

That is what my friend said about the Macca soft serve, and shakes!! Bummer coz i like them too!!

Interestingly enough my midwife cautioned me against eating any peanut products at all during pregnancy - and this was before she knew my son had a peanut allergy.

Just restating that there was no history of ANY type of food allergy in my family, yet my son somehow ended up with a peanut allergy. And I did consume plenty of PB during pregnany. And their are some studies that show a link between the two - not a major link, but I believe its there.
    So I personally am quite cautious about it.

I'm a bit skeptical about nut allergy and pg. Lots of countries use peanuts and nuts in their day to day cooking and pregnant eat them, and the babies dont seem to have allergies.....
    In Western society though the amount of peanut allergies in children has boomed. So something is going on, and early exposure is what sets people up for future allergic reactions.
    WRT lots of other countries using peanuts every day and not having the same allergy problems - there is actually an explanation for this... as these are countries not on western diets, and also they do not use the same chemicals and processing methods, and I think there is another reason.
    I am very hazy on the details, so will have to search for the articles I have read... it also goes in to explain the other allergies such as fish, which are predominant in some societies, but not others, etc.

it realy comes down to personal choice like everything else you have to do what you feel is right for you and bubs.

I had terrible morning sickness the whole way through my pregnancy and lost 7 kilos in the first 4 months because i couldnt keep anything down. At around 5 months i started craving peanut butter which i hadnt eaten since i was a young child. I found peanut butter on toast was the only thing i could keep down so was eating it nearly every day just to keep me going. My DS is now 18 months old and has had small amounts of peanut butter and it hasnt seemed to affect him. So i think the whole peanut/nut allergy may have a lot to do with there being the same or similar allergies in the family.

This is a tough one I think. I just spoke to my doc the other day re: this as I was concerned about giving Oskar things which either may or do contain traces of nuts and sesame. He said that it's not something passed through to them during pg nor b/f as it has to be ingested directly through the mouth. He did say not to give the obvious peanuts or peanut butter until around 3 yrs of age though. So, that's what he said, but I know that others say differently. I ate it during both pregnancies and b/f and so far both have been fine. I'd say if you're worried then don't.

I haven't been eating heaps of nuts and stuff, although I haven't cut them out altogether. Haven't craved them either so yeah. I guess it's just everything in moderation really.

I read that there has been no real proof that eating peanuts during pregnancy can effect the baby in anyway, so Im sure if you had a handful a day it wouldnt hurt, but I wouldnt go crazy on them lol.
    My midwife suggested having peanut butter on crackers when I had morning sickness as its a protein and thats meant to help prevent you from throwing up. It seemed to work quite well for me when I wasnt feeling TOO sick

I love Pistachio's!! Was eating them the other night YUMMMM

I read an article in a British baby mag the other day that stated that there seems to be no link peanut allergies by eating them during pregnancy or breasfeeding. It did say to avoid them if you have a history of nut allergies but otherwise not to worry.

It also said that in countries where women didn't avoid nuts during pregnancy nut allergies have stayed at the same rate as they always have, yet in countries where many women do avoid nuts during pregnancy the allergy rate has skyrocketed, therefore it appeared that avoiding nuts could be the cause.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456