Thread: Perineal Massage

Default Perineal Massage

Just wondering if anyone has used an 'epi-no' or anything similar. The 'epi-no' is on the net for something like $178 and that is a bit expensive, but would be more convienent than doing the job by hand. I thought there might be something that wasn't so well known and therefore cheaper?? Perhaps even in a sex shop?? Any ideas?? Thanks.

Also would like to hear from anyone that did or didn't do perineal massage and if you think it made a big difference.

Thanks!!

I used Perineal massage with both my kids from about 34weeks. I had no stitches with no 1 and with no2 had some grazes but no stitches. I think it helped with the first definately but with the second Id only being doing it for 2weeks as she came early. The other brought thing sounds expensive and there is no guarantee you will be able to use it. A friend had one and she found it too hard and uncomfortable. I don't know if the sex shops would have anything suitable I am sure they would have some device though that was softish and would mean you wouldn't need to use your fingers. They say to use your thumbs and stretch the peri towards the anus.

I wish I'd done more... of all the pain of childbirth, that burning sensation as I was stretching is what I remember the most. If I'd done more massage, I think I would've breezed through the labour!

Dunno about the device you're talking about, I just did it by hand with a bit of oil - think it was a blend of sweet almond and olive oils...

Let's face it. You can't do too much massage, but you can certainly do too little!

we did the massage - I do think it helped - much less tearing! (didnt really need stitches but has just one in the end!)

I asked my midwife because I was feeling guilty that I hadn't been doing any - she said not to worry about it and that your skin is either naturally stretchy or it isn't.

I had two tiny stitches after 2.5 hours of pushing with a biggish baby and forceps so I reckon my skin is pretty stretchy! I didn't get any stretchmarks either and I think, from memory, she said that's related.

If only there was a masseuse you could go to for this ??

The first time round I tried to do the massage but found it difficult to do. Turned out that during labour my perineum wouldn't stretch or tear and because DD was in distress had to get her out quick smart so had an episiotomy but this time around, the midwife is recommending I do massage and will get instructions on how to do properly.

A device of some sort sounds good but haven't heard of anything like it so would be interested to know what's out there.

a friends OB actually recommended that epino thing to her. we didnt do any massage .. couldnt manage it on my own and DH felt it was too cli8nical to be doing in th fun zone...as a result i was very tight down there duting labour and the OB stretched me as i pushed yowch..that was the worst pain of the whole labour...and bubs head was posterier!!! but swtill no tears or cuts, just grazes.

definitey iys worth doing the massage at least...it cant hurt!!

Pfft - I didn't bother.

3 babies no tearing, or stitches, only a small graze with the 8 pounder...

ummm, whats the massage lol?

I actually called epi no when i was preg and the guy said it was more helpful during the second pregnancy because alot of women who have had stitches have trouble with scar tissue second time round(?), so I didnt bother.
    Tried to get DP do massage but he never got around to it so to cut a short story long, I didnt bother with either and managed to have my 8p6 bub with no tear!